"The Burning" In 1.85:1 Animorphic

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by gunner, Jul 7, 2006.

1. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

I usually don't post about "bootlegs", but I think this one deserves mention. I'm waiting for the arrival of a new dvdr of The Burning. Uncut, and framed in it's original 1.85:1 ratio + animorphic! The source was a 1080i broadcast from MonstersHD bearing an MGM logo, like the previous pan & scan remaster. Has anyone seen this transfer yet? Able to post screenshots? I have never, ever seen this one in it's OAR before. The previous P&S transfers always annoyed the shit out of me, very noticably cramped and stretched. I'll be sure to post some screenshots myself if nobody can. Can't wait for this one!!!

2. speanroc

speanroc I WANNA BAN

although it should be a very nice and clear print , but it WILL be cropped....

3. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

Why would you say that?

4. ArrowBeach

ArrowBeach Active Member

you letterbox it, you lose the top and bottom,but ope n matte/full frame, you gain the top and bottom, or something like that, basically you are not losing any image by viewing it full frame.

5. evileye

evileye Member

The MONSTERS HD print is terrific. While the DVD will be a step down from the HD broadcast, it should look fine. The film was intended to be presented in 1.85:1 and cropped so missing some headroom should not hurt (there is actually a sliver of info gained on the sides from the VHS released through Amazon). Many films are shot this way (which explains why the full frame versions have extra head room, boom mikes and nude scenes with underwear visible). And having it anamorphic for a 16x9 tv seals the deal.

Now if MGM would hurry up an announce this, FROM BEYOND and TEXAS CHAINSAW 2 (the MONSTERS HD versions of these are all top notch).

6. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

Yeah, 1080i would be better. I have a built-in HDTV tuner, but I still have never seen a true signal on it.
    But, it should still be great, like all the other negative-derived animorphic widescreen dvd transfers that are sourced from HD.
    I was fully expecting to hear there was more side info on the lbx version, but the reduced headroom comes as a surprise since the pan & scan releases had many cramped headroom shots. I figured it would open up on all four sides like with Friday The 13th, which had the same type of warped, cramped framing on the old vhs/ld releases. Anyway, I'll post some comparison shots as soon as I get it in.

7. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

does this mean mgm will be releasing this movie on dvd this halloween hopefully i am not holding my breath though?

8. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    My question egggggsactly! MGM - please...PLEASE....!!!!

9. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Usually, but not always. I got a copy of the MonstersHD From Beyond which is slightly cropped on the top/bottom, but has a lot more info on the sides when comapred to my Dragon dvd.
    A few 1.85 flicks are hard-matted, so they really are pan and scan and not open matte when shown 4:3. King Of New York and Hard Boiled come to mind.

10. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I had a feeling that a topic like this would pop up. They have the trailer on the Monsters HD site. It just so happens to be the original theatrical trailer, too. Maybe MGM cleaned it up for an upcoming DVD release? Will we possibly get a 25th Anniversary release? Who knows? All I know is the quality of that trailer FAR exceeds the bootleg DVD I have. It's terrible. The whole movie is framed too far to the right, making it extremely noticeable and annoying when there's text on the screen. Not only that, but the end credits go up on about an 85-degree angle! Apparently it was taken from the UK Vipco release, and if that's the case...that really is quite sad. It looks WORSE than the almost 25 year-old Thorn EMI VHS tape that I have!

Anyway, this is just good news. The only thing I hope MGM doesn't do is; considering they have remastered prints of both the fullscreen and widescreen versions, make the disc a widescreen/fullscreen flipper. Oh well, at least there's now a very BIG chance that the film will get an official R1 DVD release. I've never been extremely fond of this movie. Not the greatest backwoods slasher. I think that honor goes to Just Before Dawn. (IMO, it exceeds this film and Friday the 13th greatly.) Speaking of Friday the 13th, I found an interesting clip on YouTube. It's the original TV Spot from May of 1980. It's a lot like the theatrical trailer, but still quite interesting to see.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dq2HqMuAEZg&search=friday the 13th tv

And here's the trailer for The Burning. (Pretty well-done trailer, actually. Makes the movie look a lot more appealing than it actually is LOL.)

http://www.monstershd.com/content/popups/play_clip.php?id=301

~Matt

11. speanroc

speanroc I WANNA BAN

thank u dave, cause most think that every single film ever made is shot open matte , which is not true

12. killnstalk

killnstalk Guest

i pray we get that long overdue burning dvd from MGM.anyone think well get extras on it?

13. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I would hope for extras but I'd be happy just being able to finally see this film. I'm sure I won't enjoy it as much as you who've seen it already (kind of like JUST BEFORE DAWN, which I loved as a kid but most newbies were recently disappointed), but I am still quite anxious to get my hands on this title.

14. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

Thanks for that link. And what a trailer that is! I'm getting far too interested in this dish/voom thing. MonstersHD is doing an 80's slasher theme special on the 22nd that will include MadMan...in HD = Another do-it-yourself animorphic replacement! I just caught wind it's around $49 at the lowest per month to get this channel...do I really need this? I think so.

15. Wez4555

Wez4555 Happy Trees Motherfucker!

thanks for the info nobody ever gave me. :p anyway, yeah when i start rackin in a better pay check I'm going to definitely get monsters HD

16. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    $49 for a channel? Is that for the channel or the total price for the dish service?

17. Wez4555

Wez4555 Happy Trees Motherfucker!

its the total price for the service. it can cost more if you want more channels, but to get monstersHD, the least you have to pay is $50 a month.

18. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

That sounds ok. At first I thought you were saying that the channel alone was $50 a month. Sorry, but I can't imagine any channel that is worth that!

19. killnstalk

killnstalk Guest

can u get this or will u able later to get this on directtv?

20. FulciZombieFan

FulciZombieFan New Member

I guess I have been "out of the loop" for a while ... not visiting this nor other horror movie forums much lately ...

I just found out about MONSTERS HD as I saw an ad in a magazine I just got yesterday then reading this thread ...

Makes me want to drop my COMCAST cable TV and go with DISH NETWORK but I live in an apartment building so I am afraid a satelitte dish is out of the question ... although it is a small indepentantly owned Apartment and there is a roof right outside one of my windows ... I could litteraly walk right out the window onto the roof (it is flat as well) ... hmmm ...

Anyways I have a question for those that have DISH NETWORK and get MONSTERS HD and other HDTV channels:

Can you get 16x9 WS anamorphic output using S-Video or composite video?

I know with COMCAST cable TV that 16x9 WS anamorphic HDTV channels only come out that way when using component video output (or DVI/HDMI) ... but that type of signal cannot be recorded to a standard DVD recorder. If you switch the cable box to output via S-Video or composite video then you get a standard 480i recordable signal but the box forces a resize from 16x9 WS anamorphic to 4:3 Letterboxed. This is true even when using component output set to 480i output instead of 720p/1080i output.

Would be nice if you can get a 480i output (over S-Video or composite) that is still 16x9 WS anamorphic. Alas that is not a possibility with the Motorola cable box that COMCAST (and from what I hear many other cable TV providers) use.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman