The Burning

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Tawny, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Tawny

Tawny You guys got sour balls?

I recently got this movie and I must say that it is now one of my top 10 films of all time. I can't believe I waited so long to watch it again. I rented it when I was a kid, and don't think I liked it much then.(too much sex in a movie could make a 10 year old uncomfortable I guess! ;) ). It is the best camp slasher there is.Even better than F13th series or Sleepaway Camp. I gave in and ordered a VIPCO disc, but it definitely needs a R1 release. The raft scene is so awesome!It scares me everytime. Not often does a movie come along that I obsess over. Does anyone else love this movie as much as I do?

2. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I've never seen it, but I really want it to come out in R1 so I can.

Oh and, shouldn't this be in the slashers section? ;)

Sounds like a great film! :D

3. Tawny

[​IMG]

Oops I guess I could have put it in Slashers, but oh well. :D I'm sure it will find its way over there somehow.

BTW the other night I watched this before bed, and ended up dreaming that Tom Savini was keeping me hostage in a basement! The next day my best friend came over and said "I scored this really cool book last night, guess who its by?" That's right folks, Tom Savini. :eek: ( I hadn't even mentioned the movie to her yet.) Wierd.[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2003
  4. speanroc

speanroc I WANNA BAN

i love this film , i have the uncut u.k. pre-cert

5. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

The Burning is one of the best slasher films of all time hands down! It is much better than Friday the 13th, which it has a similar premise to. The deaths are wonderfully brutal, and the raft scene is fucking classic!

None of the characters are very likable in my opinion, yet seeing them killed by the evil Cropsy was still very creepy and rather disturbing. Tom Savini's gore effects are absolutely marvelous, and are definitely a sight to behold!

The film also has a great setting in the woods, and the film milks the setting for all its worth. You never know where the hell Cropsy is lurking, and the woods are very dark and foreboding.

The somber musical score for this film is absolutely wonderful, and it fits the mood of the film to perfection. Definitely one of the best scores to a slasher film!

At the end of the film when we see Cropsy's face, he looks pretty damn cool to say the least. His death is great, and very well done. Hell, EVERY death in this film is well done! The Burning is a creepy, atmospheric, gory, disturbing, and exhilarating piece of horror cinema, and is one of the true masterpieces of the slasher genre!

6. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Last time I saw this was on Cinemax about two years ago. I was entertained to say the least. Especially by seeing a pre-Sienfeld Jason Alexander and a pre-Short Circuit Fisher Stevens, and lets not forget the great gore (which was quite good for the R-rated version) MGM really needs to release the DVD.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2003
  7. Don't forget the kid from Fast Times at Ridgemont High and a very early (I think first ever) appearance by Holly Hunter.

I love this film. In 1996 when Scream came out a friend and I went on a three year horror-thon. The Burning was like the third film we rented in this fest and it was a revelation. I ended up swiping the copy from the video store out of desperation (no copies available and no eBay to bid on it).

...personally I always found that blond councellor (Michelle was it?) was hot.

8. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Love this flick but damn, I've never seen the unrated version.

There was talk about a 2-disc SE coming out in Germany. I hope soon.

9. Madz H

Madz H Guest

There is, in december i think :D

10. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I love this movie and am pretty happy with the disc I have. It is one of the better slashers and has many exceptional elements.

Hmm, I haven't watched this in a few months. Maybe I should fire the baby up.

11. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Saw this at the cinema when it was first released. Loved it then. Would love to see it again, but VIPCO! I guess it's a matter of how badly you want it. Maybe if i saw it cheap - that's 4:3 isn't it?

12. onebyone

onebyone Guest

It is fullscreen, not the best release by a long shot, but it is uncut and I have been able to watch it for a long time now. If anyone in the US does a good release of it I will get it and still feel like I got my money's worth out of this one so I am all good.

13. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Yeah, I just ordered the Vipco disc as well. I also ordered the 2 disc version from Sazuma like 4 months ago which explains why I just broke down and got the Vipco already.

14. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I recently bought the Dragon DVD import of The Burning. How much different is the Vipco import DVD? The artwork on that version looks kinda...generic.

15. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

The Vipco that just came out is definately fully uncut as the first Vipco was released with cuts. The Dragon is also uncut. So no worries!

16. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

Caught the uncut VHS on its original release in the UK and it immediately became one of my all time favourite horror movies. At the time, I found it a very professionally made, frightening tale.

I know I've waxed lyrical about the soundtrack before but it is simply amazing.

Marvellous film. Please, please, please....MGM, release an uncut DVD soon.

17. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Rick Wakeman of Yes fame, did the soundtrack I believe. I've seen it around on CD.

18. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

Yep, I have the album on vinyl. I didn't realise it was available on CD...I'll have to keep my eyes peeled. I know that this is a popular "Holy Grail" on these boards....

19. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Yup, along with "Hills Have Eyes" - which of course, finally hit the shelves.

20. Tawny

I got my Vipco disc yesterday. The transfer is really nothing to complain about. I am quite pleased actually. And it turns out that the version I fell in love with was the cut version after all!! I am so glad I got it! I didn't even know what I was missing. :eek1:

Heres some screenshots in Uncut Glory :banana:

[​IMG]