The Burning

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Tawny, Nov 26, 2003.

1. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Just watched my Uncut Vipco version and it looks pretty good to me. Although I do admit I haven't watched any of the other incarnations. This was a first time viewing for me.

2. Too bad I never bought the Uncut vhs from Amazon. I have the shitty ass dark uncut print. MGM, release this uncut dammit!!

3. okay, I got the german 2disc "Burning Revenge" from Raptor now...

nice digi-pak with an excellent booklet by Christian Kessler, of course that won't help you yankees as is is in german only

first of all, it's 2xDVD5.... what a shame, somebody please applaude raptor for their marketing strategies: "hey guys, when we make it 2discs we can sell it for more!"

the picture isn't that improved over the old 1disc, in fact it's not "digitally remastered" but only much lighter now.... you see many more details of course, but everything that was meant to be black is now grey.... hell, what the fuck???? you get english dolby 2.0 besides the german 5.1 (forget it...) and 2.0

on disc 2 there's a nice Tom Savini documentation clocking in at 55mins, but nothing THAT interesting to make it a MUST-buy. again, you get english 2.0 and german 2.0

all in all, it's hard to say.... in my opinion, if you can get the old german 1disc version from Dragon cheap (it's actually the same label), go for it. it's uncut, it's got a fairly better picture than the Vipco, and it has the best cover with the correct film title.

the new german "2disc" is only for the virtually insane that must have everything, and maybe not even for them....

perhaps there'll happen a wonder and MGM will release it as a "Midnight Movie" with a REALLY good picture quality and uncut. I'd be happy to be the first in line when that happens ;)

4. jscott

jscott Guided By Voices

What's the name of the Savini documentary? Scream Greats?

5. Madz H

Madz H Guest

Yes it is, i've worn out my old vhs of "Scream Greats:Tom Savini" so it's nice to have it on dvd!

6. Paul0889

Paul0889 New Member

I'm just so unsure which dvd to get for the best pic!!!!

7. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

the vipco has some issues.. a few scenes are pink faded and damaged.. doesnt happen much but it does happen.. its definitely watchable though

8. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

Water damage?
    [​IMG]

Sun/heat damage?
    [​IMG]

hair?
    [​IMG]

you tell me!
    [​IMG]

most of the film is like this
    [​IMG]

9. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Wow. That Vipco release does look terrible.
    I think the German Edition is the one to look out for indeed.

10. Someone needs to explain this for me cause I didn't get it....

[​IMG]

11. Paul0889

Paul0889 New Member

damn the picture quality looks pretty bad! especially the colors whick looked ugly. does anyone know if either or the Dragon dvd's look any better/worse? thanks

12. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

heh shoes..

and the whole movie isnt that bad.. to get half of those caps i had to run the movie at 1/8th speed and be really quick to pause it.. there arent too many of them.. and theres probably all up about a minute of pinkish footage in the whole film...

13. Paul0889

Paul0889 New Member

alright i think i'm gonna go with the vipco release. but whoever has the dragon release, could you please take a couple screenshots if u can?

14. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

The Vipco release really isnt as bad as i make it out.. most of those screen captures i posted are single frame and you dont even notice them

15. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Damn, that Vipco release looks horrible. I have the old Dragon DVD and it looks a lot better than that. It's not a perfect print either though. I'm pretty sure it's a Laserdisc transfer, but it's still quite clear. It doesn't have those major lines and chemical/water stains shown on those stills from the Vipco DVD.

Does the Vipco have any special features at all? The Dragon has the trailer, filmographies and a pretty nice still and promo pics gallery.

16. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I happened to see the Vipco disc in London yesterday for $10, so I bought it. I really think some of the people here are being a little over generous. It is, apparently, uncut - but the good ends there. The transfer is fool-screen, and washed out. It's definately sub-par. I reckon, unless you're really desperate, you'd be better off waiting.

17. Paul0889

Paul0889 New Member

$10!!! Every site i've been finding it on is atleast like $30

18. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I got some real bargains - Scarlet Diva (Asia Argento) for $10, and Baise Moi for $9. Go figure, I got really lucky.

It might be unpopular to say - but there is simply no freaking way the Vipco Burning is worth $30. Treat yourself to a Criterion from DDD instead!

19. and this definitely is the version you should try to get as long as MGM won't treat you with a nice uncut master

as I said before, the new 2disc edition comes in a butt-ugly digipak and the picture is HORRIBLY fainted and MUCH too light.... forget about it....

20. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Ugh, I saw where Diabolik just got it in stock but the sucker is $40. I don't think I want to lay down that much dough just for the Savini documentary.