The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Horrorfan, May 16, 2005.

1. Horrorfan

Horrorfan New Member

Hi there is anyone here a fan of this film? I have a budget dvd release of this. (which also includes Dr.Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and The Hunchback of Notre Dame) Between the kino and image editions which do you feel is better? Rate it on video audio, and extras

2. dwatts

dwatts New Member

The experts are here: www.silentera.com

Sadly, I've not compared Kino and Image discs. If I recall, Silentera think Kino is better. I do love my four disc Kino set (Nosferatu, Caligari, Golem, and Wax Museum), However, in the case of Nosferatu, there is an excellent documentary that you lose out on.

Also, sometimes the music that the Kino discs have leave something to be desired. It's got to be expensive getting an orchestra together, but they could at least buy a better synth in order to fake it.

I am very happy with the Kino's though.

3. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

4. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Man, tough call on those screen shots, isn't it. The Kino looks awful in the early ones (reflecting the statement that the first 5 minutes looks bad), but gets better later. If I recall from my reading about Nosferatu, Image tended to crop that too.

5. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Weird that you should mention this one, I just watched it last night at a friend's house. ...and then we watched the other two flicks in the Kino set.

I had seen it about 10 years ago and really didn't remember it too well. It's pretty good for an ancient silent flick. The gritty picture on the Kino transfer looked really spooky on a big screen.

6. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

silent films just look so cool.
    I never compared the two, so I would just suggest that you read up on reviews and perhaps try renting them both (if you have netfilx or something like that).

Last edited: May 16, 2005
  7. Horrorfan

Horrorfan New Member

Well I hae read the reviews but when it boils down to it neith beats opinions by people that own the discs.

8. wgdavis

wgdavis Guest

Silent Era has a prety decent comparison up - http://www.silentera.com/DVD/cabinetofDrCaligariDVD.html . Both Kino and Image rate an 8 for video, but there is a comment about the frame line across the top of the Image image. Kino, which I own, looks great, but the soundtracks are, to say the least, annoying. Track one is spooky, but grating. Track 2 is better, in that it is not as annoying, but seems to lack oomph.

9. Horrorfan

Horrorfan New Member

what do you mean by grating?

10. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I'd hazard a guess - it's an electronic score, and sounds pretty "clean". Given that the picture is NOT, there's an odd balance. It's an old film, with what sounds like a more modern soundtrack..... can be problematic.

11. Severn

Severn Member

I have the image DVD of it. I liked it. I even purchased thosr Silent Screamers action figures from a few years ago that had Count Orlock and Ceasar. Very nice stuff.

12. Horrorfan

Horrorfan New Member

Isn't there a commentary on the image version of the film? If so how is it?

13. Severn

Severn Member

Yeah there is one. It's ok to be honest. I love listening to commentaries (especially oldies like these) but I just didn't think it flowed well. I liked the Lokke Heiss commentary on Nosferatu more. It's good to have regradless but I'm not a fan of THAT particular commentary. It's informative but it sounds like he's reading notes, then stops talking for a bit, then continues to read. It's ok but not anything I'd wholly recommend.

14. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

A new edition of this was just announced for release on 9/6 I believe. I would imagine its going to be superior to all previous discs in terms of audio and image quality.

15. Horrorfan

Horrorfan New Member

There was one announced by Fox but that is a remake from the 60's or 70's I believe.

16. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I watched this again tonight. Damn, this just gets better and better with each viewing. I'm finally able to say - I think I prefer this to Nosferatu... maybe I should watch that one tomorrow!

17. Numania

Numania Guest

I really, really appreciate this film.
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Play the movie, and start Crawl Unit - Stop Listening on the cd player when the movie is 5 seconds in. Radness!
    If you like experimental music, you should try it.

18. Spit

Spit Active Member

I realize that I am dragging this up from the past, but I have recently just seen Dr. Caligari again. It seems that everything I see this film the score is diffrent, does anyone know the deal with that? I've seen two version with different classical scores and one with sort of an acid jazz sounding score (in my opinion the best). I've also seen mention of an electronic score. Anyone know which score goes with which release? I'd love to own the version with the acid jazz score, but only saw it once a long time ago.

19. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

The scores you have heard have most likely been recorded especially for each release. I don't know if Caligari had a special score written for it at the time of its original release, but the majority of silent films were just shown with someone playing the piano impromptu. Bigger films had scores, although I'm not sure if there was "one" main score that went with all the prints? Maybe someone knows this better.

As far as I know (and I admit I'm not an expert) the few silent films that did have music written especially for them, are some of Eisenstein's films with music by Prokofiev. Alexander Nevsky is a good example, the music is simply sublime.

The version of Caligari that I saw had horrible, horrible music that completely ruined the experience for me. :(

20. dwatts

dwatts New Member

--but the majority of silent films were just shown with someone playing the piano impromptu.--

Strange, the BBC showed a documentary about silent films last night, and they discussed this very topic. Prior to 1920 they said silent films were almosty exclusively accompanied by a person on a piano. After that, it was more common to see a trio (Piano, violin, and Cello was featured). Big titles did indeed get a score circulated for them. By the 1930's, there were full orchestras of up to 30 musicians.

There was a book sent to theaters, the section headings were things like "Sinister" and "Horror" and "Comedy". The pianist would turn to the correct page during relevant scenes and play the tune written there. Sort of a cookbook of music.

Fascinating.

Caligari then, could well have had a score.