The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Horrorfan, May 16, 2005.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

While perhaps there could have been an official score I wouldn't be surprised if the pianist just played whatever the hell they wanted to play. Even up to the 60's you had projectionists remixing movies, as I recall the director of Bonnie & Clide once commented how he went to see his movie in a theater and the sound levels were all off. He went to see the projectionist who very proudly said he "fixed" the movie's "terrible" sound just like he did before with Shane, a movie whom the director had designed his sound around originally.

It's also worth noting that theaters had the tools to do their own edits of the films into the late 60's, probably even after that. Studios could and would send information of recuts to theaters. Kubrick did this with 2001 because he made changes after the theatrical releases were shipped out. When DVDs come out with found "trims" these are often from theater basements where projectionists originally did it themselves.

This is why there are often so many different versions of silent films, most were recut by theater owners. Either to change the length to have more showings or just to match the sensibilities of the theater owners. Theater owners often changed the framerate on silent movies as well for the same reason.

Since it'd be much easier for a pianist to do impromptu both because they're live and because the songs they know by heart are easier than reading song sheets, it's not hard to imagine that happening.

2. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

3. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

4. zbinks

5. zbinks

6. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Took a look at my Masters of Cinema UK blu-ray and Holy shit. The film looks brand new. An amazing restoration. A must own.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  7. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

The new restoration looks truly remarkable. But the score is just terrible. I have an extremely strong preference for the Timothy Brock score (featured on the old Image DVD, also the version TCM shows). The Brock score really accentuates the nightmarish quality of this film. The Blu-ray score diminishes the film for me.

8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

TCM will be playing the new 4k restoration tonight at 12AM EST as part of their Silent Sunday Nights.

There's also an admittedly interesting little write up on the TCM blog Movie Morlocks, although it brazenly spoils the ending and then AFTER the spoiler says it's in the nubile reader's best interest to have the ending ruined so that they can keep the article's points in mind while watching it for the first time:
    http://moviemorlocks.com/2015/09/05/the-misunderstood-legacy-of-dr-caligari/#more-86412

What the actual fuck? You'd spoil the movie for multitudes of people, it's not like everyone's been alive since 1919 and had the nearly 100 years to readily see it, just so you get a few pet points out there to these few extra people? It's only a few days ahead, and they've already clicked your precious link, just ask them to come back and read the rest of it and get you that second click bait! Jesus weep!

Anyways, if you haven't seen Caligari check it out tonight or DVR it and watch later. Then read the blog above. It IS an interesting article that's challenging some old assumptions, but lacks the simplest evidence like a description of what the original script's ending actually was. That would go a long way in supporting what the blogger has to say. I haven't seen it for quite awhile myself and I'm thinking of saving it for October.

9. Locke

Locke New Member

I watched Eureka's release of this recently, the remastering was so impressive it was almost like watching a whole new film. There are a whole bunch of horror flicks from about a decade later which many define as the forefathers of much of our modern horror but I don't feel many of them have aged particularly well and I would say are probably now more appreciated for what they inspired than for actually their own merits, whether people realise they are doing it or not. Calgari however is a film I still appreciate as much as I do for it as a piece of filmmaking as I do for what it went on to inspire.