The Caller (2011)

Discussion in 'General' started by spawningblue, Jul 14, 2011.

1. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Call me crazy but I think this looks pretty good. Something creepy about a crazy woman yelling through an old phone. Apparently it was going to go straight to DVD but is now getting a limited theater release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBO-H9EZW5c

Synopsis: When troubled divorcee, Mary Kee, sets up home in her new apartment, she stumbles across an old telephone which she quickly falls in love with. Struck by it's antique charm, she gives it pride of place in her home. Before long, Mary begins to receive strange phone calls from a mysterious, unknown caller. Over time, she discovers that the caller is a woman called Rose and the two strike up an unlikely friendship. However, when Rose claims to be calling from the past, Mary begins to question her new friend's motives.

As Rose's phone calls become ever more disturbing, Mary's sense of terror escalates. Feeling haunted in her own home, she cuts all contact with Rose. Enraged by Mary's betrayal, Rose threatens to exact her terrible revenge. Not on Mary in the present but on Mary as a child in the past. Mary finally realizes that she will have to kill Rose in order to save herself. But how can she kill someone living in the past and what will happen if she fails?

The Caller recently received an R rating for some violence/disturbing images, language and a scene of sexuality. Stay tuned for a release date.

2. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Looks like it'd be worth checking out.

3. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

a cool premise. i'd be interested in seeing it. would make a great triple feature with Frequency and The Lake House.

4. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

THE CALLER wasn't bad at all. Started out a bit familiar, but the premise became very interesting after a while. It was creepy and intelligent. Check your local Redbox for a cheap rental.

5. dickieduvet

dickieduvet Member

Really enjoyed this one, Was a real surprise and original. It's available very cheaply on Blu-Ray here in the UK and arrived without any fanfare what-so-ever. Really deserved a little press from Universal..but hey!

Well worth a look :)

6. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Just done watching and I can't quite figure out what was going on. The Caller's IMDb message board wasn't much help either, almost everyone's confused or came up with their own theories :lol:

I've read lots of different explanations but they all don't seem to make much sense :(

7. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I saw it on NetFlix back when it was released and wasn't impressed. Great premise, mediocre execution.