The Card Player question

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Surge92, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Surge92

Surge92 Guest

I had been holding off from buying THE CARD PLAYER due to the mixed reviews I read for Anchor Bay's disc, however, I saw it for cheap the other day at Best Buy and temptation set in. Now I don't expect the film to be another masterpiece in the vein of DEEP RED, but for those of you who have seen it, can I at least expect an entertaining giallo similar to say THE CAT O' NINE TAILS or SLEEPLESS? Lastly, does the ending/unmasking pack a punch, or is it anticlimatic? I may pick it up tomorrow depending on the feedback I get.

My DVD Collection

2. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I enjoyed it. Especially the ending. If I were you I would definitely pick it up. I would put in the same ball park as Trauma. No complaints with the DVD as well.

3. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

Just buy it,it's Argento dammit!:D

4. Blue Holocaust

Blue Holocaust New Member

This is one of my least favorite Argento flicks; It's not bad, just banal... In my opinion, not as good as either Cat O' Nine Tails or Sleepless... I thought the ending was one of Argento's weakest, I really didn't care for the killer... I'll probably end up getting it on dvd but only as a completist thing...

5. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

Fantastic Film. 9/10.

The entire climax was extremely dumb, the way they did was actually pretty ridiculous.

Anyone care to refute that?

6. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Isn't one of my favorite Argento films, but I enjoyed it. If I were you, I'd rent it first.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2006
  7. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Buy it at DeepDiscountDVD. It's only $10 shipped until tomorrow, I think. I ordered one yesterday.

8. Spitfire

Spitfire Suspiria

I'm an Argento fan so I love everything he does. With that said, the movie has a great pacing, the kills are all done off camera but it works, it's driven by the Goblins - Claudio "Techno" score which is reminiscent of his old films. I really enjoyed the film and never figured out who the "killer" was till the end. The concept of playing cards with the killer is pretty cool too. I highly recommend it, especially if you are an Argento fan. Great Film.

PS. "The making of" on the DVD is worth the price alone. Argento goes through a lot of the shoot and there's a lot of behind the scenes. :fire:

I would pick this up with Trauma, which came out at the same time, if you haven't picked it up yet.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2005
  9. Crystal Plumage

Which one?

10. sinister

sinister Member

It's awful. The dialogue is laughable, even by Argento's standards. Overall 3/10. :)

11. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Once you can get over the initial awkward dialogue it actually turns into a pretty decent and suspenseful film IMO.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2005
  12. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

It's just so naive somehow ... I did enjoy it (in a dumbfounded sort of way) but it's pretty worthless compared to Argento's other films. In fact, I'd even go as far as say that I prefer Phantom of the Opera to this one - at least Phantom was somewhat different. The Card Player is totally formulaic and ridiculous.

The performances are ok, the make up is very, very sub-standard, I liked the cinematography - very stark, very stylish (not Profondo Rosso-stylish, but still it looks good), but Argento seems to be holding off the visual pyrotechnics that make him so interesting.

The identity of the killer is lame, but the climax itself is pretty ok. Or something like that :)

13. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Get it and watch in Italian, it works better somehow.

Oh, and it's not a Goblin soundtrack, it's only Claudio..... and I love it.

14. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I liked it, too. The interview with him on the AB disc was fascinating; he is really one of the true greats in the music world IMO.

15. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

I saw this film in Italian and the dialogue was fine. I also liked the soundtrack and I'm glad that Simonetti did it. Anyway, I didn't get the AB disc because of what I heard about the English soundtrack. It's too bad that AB didn't include the Italian track but that's pretty much the usual case. I don't know, if the film takes place in Italy then they should definitely include that track (IMO).

I wonder if the writers wrote the script in Italian and had it translated to English (poorly), which was the version used for filming. Too bad.

16. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I was fond of it.True,it isn't as gory as Argento's standard pics,but it does generate psychological suspense.Though not flashy,it's very seemlessly assembled.The score is rather retro,has an 80's vibe.One sequence set in an apartment is very well staged.I also found the two leads to be very likeable.As to the finale,it is kinda nutty,but I found it to be rather fun,and fitting considering the film was about gamesmanship.I thought the AB disc was sharp and it boasted some interresting extras.

17. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

When I saw this about a month ago, I had heard almost nothing but bad things about it, so I wasn't sure what to expect. When all was said and done though, and the credits were rolling, I was very pleased.

It is definitely a major change from Argento's prior films, but I'm not one to fear change, especially not when said change brings about such an interesting film. This isn't a generic mystery thriller that seems like something out of Hollywood. I've heard it described as such on numerous occasions, but I beg to differ. The film's mystery is quite intriguing, and all of the scenes of police work and puzzle solving always maintain interest. The card duels, while perhaps a silly sounding idea on paper, work very well in keeping up the tension levels. It also helps that Argento has the victims on screen via webcam every time there's a duel. It gives the scenes more weight when you actually see what you're playing for. The first actual duel makes for a painfully grim scene, as the police lose every single round. There's not an ounce of hope.

The two leads give excellent performances. Stefania Rocca and Liam Cunningham have good chemistry, and they make for two of Argento's most likeable leads. They're relationship never feels forced either. It feels quite natural, and this is obviously a good thing, especially though since it pays off later in the film. Many of the supporting characters are dubbed rather poorly, but it didn't really distract me. It was great to see Fiore Argento on screen again too.

The lack of gore doesn't hurt the film even the slightest bit. Argento may be known for inventive, gruesome murder scenes, but the lack of gore here actually adds to the impact. When we see these women being killed on the computer screen, we don't actually see them being killed in the literal sense because the killer's damage is being done offscreen. This makes the scenes more compelling, at least to me anyway. The examinations of the bodies are about as gory as this film gets, and that's just fine.

Another complaint I've seen thrown around is that this looks like a TV movie. I disagree with this completely. The camerawork is often stunning, and it reminded me of some of the most beautiful giallos of the 70s with its wonderful shots of the surrounding environment. Argento also makes wonderful use of colors and shadows to further flesh out his story. One of the scenes that is simply classic Argento is when
    Anna is riding with the killer and she realizes he's the Card Player when she sees all the little plant seeds flying everywhere. It makes for a beautiful scene, and its just the type of thing you'd expect from Dario.

There are many other standout scenes as well.
    The sequence where Anna is attacked by the killer in her home is really well done, and very creepy too. The way Argento has her discover the killer's presence by seeing his reflection in the vase is both a clever use of the surroundings and very unnerving. John's discovery of the killer's hideout is also wonderful. His unexpected demise is one of the film's few gruesome moments, and since he is such a likeable character, it is also a hard hitting development. Then there's the final sequence on the train tracks. Some people hate this ending, but I think its unique and fun.

Anyway, after viewing this, I really don't understand its bad reputation. I loved it, and I think after a few more viewings, it could actually become one of my favorite Argento films. It is certainly nowhere near the bottom tier.

18. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

I liked the two leads as well, especially Stefania Rocca. It's interesting about the comment on the bad dubbing? What language did you watch the film in? Maybe this film was dubbed in all languages?

19. Crystal Plumage

Funny because this film wasn't dubbed at all....

20. Crystal Plumage

OK just a few characters were dubbed.But nothing really appalling to my ears.
    I definitely heard worse.