The Card Player question

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Surge92, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

I watched it in English via the Anchor Bay DVD. A few of the supporting players were obviously dubbed, and rather poorly, but as I said, it wasn't a big deal. On the other hand, AB's transfer looked pretty bad at times even on my normal TV.

2. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

Thanks, Cujo. Now I'm even more confused about getting the AB disc :) Does anyone know if there is a version containing both language tracks? At least that way I won't feel cheeted. I've grown tired of buying sub-par shit like Troma's Stendhal Syndrome, and the hyper-crappy version of Sleepless by Artisan.

3. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I haven't seen the R2 DVD but I didn't remember having a problem with the AB transfer at all.

4. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

I have the Arrow R2 DVD, which has pretty good image quality. It has only the english language track, though.

It isn't so much the dubbing that bugged me (although it did sometimes), but rather the inane dialogue at times (something lost in translation? perhaps it works better in italian) and the fact that Argento seems to have lost his grip of how people interact with each other. Like the guy at the beginning who gives Stefania Rocca flowers ... that entire scene felt so fake and dumb. Nobody says things like that or acts like that! I'm not saying that Argento should be "more realistic" but he doesn't have to be laughably out-there either. I haven't really had a problem with this in any of his pre 90s films, but from Trauma onward, Argento seems to be living in a world wholly unconnected to reality or even plausible, sensible and downright acceptable fiction. Sorry to say it, but that's how I feel.

Still love the man, though.

5. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

The biggest problem I had was the presence of white outlines around the characters and various other objects. This happened off and on. Also, in a few scenes where Rocca would be wearing red, the red color was bleeding pretty badly. I was amazed by how poor the transfer turned out.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2005
  6. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

The LE box for this flick is pretty cool.

[​IMG]

7. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

8. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

I normally keep up with the threads in this forum, but I think I missed it because it got marked as read after I loaded up the site and didn't read it for a while.

9. First time I watched it, I didn't really like it at all. Kind of like a naive movie length version of one of those terrible shows, like CSI, or whatever. Full of naff abbreviations & things, to make the cops sound technically proficient. The English language track sounds flat & silly, and the deliveries sound quite lifeless, like the actors are reading off cards.

Second time around, it was much more interesting. Definitely better in Italian - as are most of these films, and a lot more involving too.
    Not Profondo Rosso by a long chalk, but worth checking out.
    Hopefully Dario will give us another Non Ho Sonno.

10. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

As film direction is concerned, Il Cartaio is a better film than Non Ho Sonno in my opinion. It is less a show-off, or a patchwork of set-pieces, has real characters and some subtle touches that I didn't believe that Dario was capable of. And he is my favorite horror director.
    I agree on the english language track - the film IS partially dubbed, but Rocca is fine. First time also to spot good leading performances in an Argento film, in years. Non Ho Sonno only had Syndow to carry it through.

11. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I watched this last night. I tried to like it, I really did. But this might be my least favorite Argento (yes, even more than Trauma or Phantom of the Opera). Oh, and I did not read any reviews or comments before watching the film, I like to go in open-minded. Besides, I consider Stendhal Syndrome to be among Argento's best films, and to hear a lot of people talk about it on the Internet, it's among his worst.

The house stalking scene, mentioned here a couple of times, is the high point of the film. But that's it.

Yes, the dialogue is cheesy and contrived. The constant attempts towards doing another video poker scene just get more and more annoying, and the finale is just horrendous.

One thing I noticed, about midway through, is that Argento violates the "180 rule", and that's a basic filmmaking concept. He knows better than that, and when I see student filmmaker-type errors in a Dario Argento film, something is really wrong. Let me briefly explain the rule with some crude drawings. In this case, "x" and "x" are two actors having a face to face conversation, and "o" and "o" are the two cameras doing over-the-shoulder shots

This is how it can be done:

.........x..........x............
    o----------------------o

The cameras MUST stay on the same 180 degree plane. You can't do this:

o----------------------
    .........x..........x...........
    -----------------------o

Otherwise, it looks like both actors are talking in the same direction, rather than facing one another. It becomes very confusing. Now, while Argento has always broken cinematic rules to disorient the viewer, this is just sloppy, and does not work.

I'll give it another viewing someday, as I've heard it gets better the second time. But it sure seems like he rushed on this one, and his heart wasn't in it.

12. Tye

Tye New Member

Finally viewed this film and I have to say that it's by far my least favorite Argento flick. Being a great admirer of his work I was greatly disappointed. Nothing in the film worked for me (plot, music, suspense or even style). The ending was one of the worst endings to any film I've seen.
    Perhaps if I saw the film with the Italian track I would have had a slightly more positive experience - but such is not the case.
    Luckily I enjoyed Do Yo Like Hitchcock & Jenifer slightly more....but just slightly. Sadly I don't have high expectations for the Third Mother installment.
    :(

13. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Actually I think you'll find that 180 rule is violated all over the place now, filmmakers don't strictly adhere to it. Another example would be Stay, which did the same thing. It's actually a stylistic choice not to adhere. The Director talks about it a lot on the commentary.

Tye: If you ever get a chance to hear the Card Player music away from the film - via CD - please do. It's terrific music, but you might miss that because the film wasn't to your taste.

14. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

I didnt like the ending either. Felt the ending was totally out of it.

They started playing the game out of nowhere. :lol:

I still loved the film. Some of those murders were just orgasmic!

Great Film, from an Great Director.

15. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    The MTV generation of filmmakers threw all the rules out the windows, and even the masters are now following their lead!!

16. dwatts

dwatts New Member

And why not? Don't we sometimes assume rules are essential, when really we're just parotting back what we've learned? Not following the 180 rule can be used for effect, for expression, and as such can be effective.

17. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

It's not new anyway. I mean, Godard broke every rule there is and Breathless is more than 40 years old.

18. dwatts

dwatts New Member

This got a rewatch from me last night.

Coming back to it, and watching it with my wife who was seeing it for the first time, I have mixed feelings.

Firstly, the movie as a whole is pretty flat. The plot doesn't really work out too well on reflection. Argento even blows some signature set pieces - for instance, the reflection of the killer in the ashtray. He used to know subtlety, but now he goes back to it, back to it, back to it... just to make sure the audience "gets" it presumably. And given the perspective he gives us of the woman, you can't actually make out where the reflection could be coming from (off screen to the left). Quite annoying.

The climatic scene has some logic... but it still looks more daft than anything else.

My wife actually thought it was quite good as a piece of entertainment, though she said that she didn't feel as though it was an Argento film, since the visual flair wasn't pronounced.

We both felt the best thing about the film is certainly the soudntrack - we actually play this reasonably often on CD, so I think we've come accustomed to it without the film, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, during this revisit I was left pretty much the same, but for different reasons. I still couldn't be without it, but overall you keep wishing it was so much better.

19. Stige

Stige Active Member

I was surfing bluray.com and I saw the card player coming from ARROW -?????? But it said in 2010 so I'm taking it with a grain of salt....I know it's coming on blu from germany but arrow usually packs it with extras
    Didn't find any info on the arrow website , or anywhere else for that matter but I curious, has anyone here heard of this?

20. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

They never released it on Blu-ray, only DVD.