THE CHANGELING-a review by Ryan Burgos

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by r_burgos2003, Aug 3, 2003.

1. r_burgos2003

r_burgos2003 Guest

It's the scariest movie I've ever seen. It's become a classic chiller that no collection should do without. It's THE CHANGELING.

While on vacation in upstate New York with his wife Joanna and daughter Kathy, music composer John Russell's car breaks down and the group is forced to tug their car through the snow to a pay phone. While John makes a call, his wife and daughter decide to have a snowball fight. Suddenly, a mack truck rips through the icey landscape and directly into the two, killing them instantly.

A little while later, John decides he must move out of his house due to many memories that make him depressed beyond belief. With the help of Claire Norman, a worker at the local historical society, he finds an old mansion to rent out and continue to compose.

Then things get frightening. Each day, very early, there is a sound of pipes clanking throught the house. He tries to compose but finds it hard still. Then, he starts to play a song. A lullaby. He plays it seemingly perfectly. When he exits the room, a key is struck on the piano-but no one is in there. Things get out of hand when John sees a vision of a little boy drowning in a bathtub.

While about to take a walk outside, John is startled by a rock thrown out of a window of the attic. A room that he had no idea about. He goes up there to find a bunch of stuff. Including a music box. The music box plays the same lullaby that he played days earlier.

He and Claire decide that maybe a medium could come to the house and see what's what. Then they find out what exactly is in the house and how to stop it....

RECCOMENDED TO FANS OF:
    The Haunting (1960)
    The Innocents (1963)
    The Amityville Horror (1979)

CAST
    George C. Scott..........John Russell
    Trish Van Devere........Claire Norman
    Melvyn Douglas..........Sen. Joseph 'Joe' Carmichel

THE MOVIE: 4/4

THE PICTURE QUALITY: 9.5/10: This classic movie is presented in 1.77:1 Letterbox and is enhanced for 16X9 TVs. Some very few specs, but basically unnoticable.

THE AUDIO QUALITY: 8/10: Presented in Dolby Digital Surround, 2.0. It's seemingly perfect for my tv's sound system.

THE SPECIAL FEATURE: is a very extensive cast & crew filmography sheet. Very well made. Though, I would have liked to have seen the trailer or listened to the commentary available on the Region 2 edition.

SUBTITLES: English, Spanish and French.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2003
  2. studio1

studio1 Member

I remember watching this on my own years ago with the lights out - Frightened the crap out of me, suffice to say I got up and switched the lights on (what a wussy):D

Tremendous film - George C.Scott is always a joy to watch, He rocked in the Exorcist 3.

S1

3. Maupin

Maupin Guest

Commentary

Has anyone heard the region 2 commentary? Is it worth repurchasing the DVD for? (Assuming that The Changeling is my second favorite horror film - only The Haunting is better.) I take it that the commentary is Peter Medak? Looking on Amazon.co.uk didn't give me any information.

George C. Scott does indeed rock, but the film he rocked the most was Patton. Get the DVD. It's not horror but I dare say anyone on this board will enjoy it.

4. r_burgos2003

r_burgos2003 Guest

I have not heard the commentary. I wish I did, since this is a great movie, IMO. The commentary is with Medak. Did you know he directed my favorite TALES FROM THE CRYPT episode? It's called "The New Arrival" with the little lady from Poltergeist. The r2 dvd indeed has the commentary.

5. studio1

studio1 Member

Maupin, allready have Patton mate - one of my all time faves.

Still got my worn out LD of it - Like I say I'm a big Scott fan.

Gonna double dip and grab the R2 version of the Changeling just for the commentary, I bought the R1 version last year on Holiday.

Now if they would only bring out The Innocents on Dvd.....

S1

6. Midnight Buddha

Midnight Buddha Member

I`ve listened to bits of the commentary, but not enough to give a verdict.

You can get the reg 2 dvd here for $10

That`s what i paid.

7. studio1

studio1 Member

Where m8???

S1

8. r_burgos2003

r_burgos2003 Guest

well....did anyone like my review?

9. Midnight Buddha

Midnight Buddha Member

I got my copy at play.com for £5.99, it`s still at that price at the moment.

Not sure where you live but play don`t ship to the states, i`ll search about for ya

10. r_burgos2003

r_burgos2003 Guest

I know Chris....just figured that out....well I guess that's because I've liked every movie I've ever seen so it would be almost pointless for me to review it in that way.

11. r_burgos2003

r_burgos2003 Guest

Sorry...I'll do better next time

12. r_burgos2003

r_burgos2003 Guest

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind! ;)

13. studio1

studio1 Member

Thanks a lot mate -I'm there:D:D

I'm in the UK by the way.

S1

14. Midnight Buddha

Midnight Buddha Member

No problem, also check out the other dvds at that price, i got Cat`s Eye, They Live, and Prince Of Darkness. :banana:

15. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Just because I'm trying to get rid of it, I have to mention that I have The Changeling with Medak's commentary (haven't listened to it though ...) and if anyone can trade me something nice for it, it's theirs ... but they have to hurry because otherwise I'm going to sell it tomorrow!

16. Disco Stu

Disco Stu Guest

What I want to know is, what are the shipping costs from Canada to Iceland? If you guys go through with the trade, please publish the info.

17. studio1

studio1 Member

Midnight Buddha , just ordered Prince of Darkness, Cats Eye and They Live and Starman for £25:banana:
    Those are excellent prices!!!!

S1

18. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

I sent two dvds from here to canada last week - it cost me ca. 1000 kr which is something little above 10 $

Chris - I'd trade you The Changeling for The Fog ...

19. Midnight Buddha

Midnight Buddha Member

Yeah great prices indeed, i buy 99% of my dvds from play and i bet you will too now. :)

20. studio1

studio1 Member

Damn right mate - I mean some places are still selling those movies for the full RRP:(

I used to shop at CD-Wow but started getting stung by the customs, I will certainly be shopping at Play for my Dvd's again.

I still shop at LVS for the new R1 releases as they are really fast, next day delivery, and always get the new releases about a few weeks before street date.

But thanks again for putting me on to Play.com - I'm gonna be even more skint now:)

S1