The Convent (R1)

Discussion in 'General' started by Mark Relford, Aug 5, 2001.

1. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

Well, it's about fucking time.

According to The Chopping List, The Convent will get a SE DVD from Trimark. (Fingers crossed.) I don't know about you guys, but this is great news! Always wanted to check this flick out.

2. Mark Relford

Oops!
    Forgot this bit of info. The DVD is scheduled for a December 11 release.

3. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

The Convent

The Critics Thumbs were down when The Convent played here in Europe. Who cares? Gonna check it out anyway ...

...dont lie to yourself ... it gave you pleasure-RZ

4. Convent

The Convent was pretty cool; kinda funny... The best horror movie with Coolio in it you can expect ever to see, I'm sure.

5. AceRimRat

AceRimRat Guest

Re: Convent

Well, that's damning with faint praise, isn't it? :D

6. Oogie Boogie

Oogie Boogie Guest

oh yea!

This movie kicks major, major ass! Super funny and gory! The story is just insane ans the visuals rock! Great movie! I can't wait for the DVD.

7. Zimmer

Zimmer Guest

I must say I am shocked that more people are not praising this film! Usually I am a lurker, but i had to take this opportunity to say that teh Convent was the coolest horror film i have seen in months. I was laughing my ass off the whole time. If you havent not seen it, what are you waiting for you will not be dissapointed!!!!

I cant wait for the special edition! I hope this release places this horror comedy in the company of Evil Dead, Brain Dead, and other movies which are loved universally by this forum.

8. fishhead

fishhead Guest

I really enjoyed this movie. While it's not quite in the same league as Braindead or Evil Dead 2, it is still a most fine humorous splatter flick.

My only concern about the R1 disc (I have the R2 one) is that it will be cut. The DVD specs say "deleted gore scenes". I sure hope the movie hasn't been cut down to an R.

9. I hope so too

Hope it's not cut down either!
    But, i've said it a million times: I LOVE THIS MOVIE
    It's one of those movies you can show all your friends while getting drunk.

10. evileye

evileye Member

What's the quailty of the Region 2 DVD?

11. fishhead

fishhead Guest

Picture quality is good, but not excellent. However, some of that could be due to the cheapo PAL->NTSC conversion I have. The picture is 4:3 - not sure if it's P&S or full frame. A few shots appear a bit cramped, but nothing really screams P&S.

The only extras are a trailer and a couple of bios. I'm definitely getting the R1 when it comes out, even though I'm concerned about it being cut for an R.

12. Mark Relford

Man, I hope it's uncut. (Fingers crossed again.)
    Speaking of Trimark, what's up with the ROTLD 3 DVD? Will it be the uncut or R-rated version. I've heard conflicting reports about the rating. Inquiring minds want to know!

Convent R.2 DVD review:

http://www.mondo-digital.com/convent.html

13. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

I watched the Lionsgate edition of The Convent tonight, and I was left with several questions:

1. Why hadn't I heard of--wait, wait. No. That's not what I want to ask first. What I want to ask first is:

1. COOLIO, what the fuck? I had no idea C-double-Oh-l-i-o was in this. I was watching some low-budget horror flick and all of a sudden COOLIO pops us, saying "white boy" and smoking joints. Huh, what?

2. How much was Coolio paid?

3. How badly did Coolio need money in 2000?

4. How much better could the special effects have been had Coolio NOT been in The Convent?

5. Why hadn't I heard of this before? It was pretty fun and dumb and had an outstanding opening. The "college kids" made the cast of 90210 look like middle schoolers. Yes, the special effects consisted mostly of glow sticks, but it had a couple of jump scares. And, of course, Adrienne Barbeau.

It was great to see a woman play the part of the grizzled, seen-it-all demon hunter for once.

Aside from the "Just gimme five minutes, bro" line, I laughed at the climatic motorcycle scene that ended in Christine getting clobbered by the church door and knocked off the bike. Awesome.

Great movie? No. No no.

Fun movie? Pretty much.

14. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

This is now available to stream on Amazon Prime, for anyone out there who might have missed it.

Also, Mike Mendez was on a podcast recently and mentioned something to the effect of LionsGate losing the rights in about two years (probably less now). After that, it's possible he could get the rights for a special edition blu-ray.

15. Alan Smithee

Alan Smithee Member

Thanks for the heads up. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit I've never seen this.