The Crazies Remake

Discussion in 'General' started by tyuun, May 19, 2004.

1. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I thought it was very good. The few too many cheepy jumps scares got annoying but much better then expected. I remember not caring for the original too much I think I need to give that another try.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  2. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

I watched this on Thursday night and I really dug it. I like Romero's original but it's far from perfect, and it fails to realize its full potential. The remake takes things to the next level, with more breaking loose of all Hell. It also focuses more on the survivors, rather than the military operation and I think that's the better approach. Plus, Timothy Olyphant is "Olyphantastic" and pretty badass in the movie.

At one point, he kills a female crazy by stabbing her in the neck with a knife ... which is sticking through his hand!

Add to that some great setpieces, a fine helping of the red stuff, CGI restraint and some genuine tension, suspense and scares and you've got yourself a rarity these days: a good remake. Also, Maxime Alexandre's cinematography is gorgeous, which isn't surprising given that he's shot all of Aja's movies (The Hills Have Eyes is one of my favorite remakes).

3. dickieduvet

dickieduvet Member

Enjoyed it very much, Good to see Lynn Lowry on the big screen again, Albeit for a few brief seconds (Riding a bike) :)

4. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I liked it... better than the original! I like the original a lot too but find that it derails itself by indulging the whole "We're dealing with this situation the best we can with what we've got" thing a little too much - Romero seems to love that sort of hysteria-driven dialogue. I always find myself forgetting that there are actually characters in the original Crazies about half way through it. The remake focuses purely on the people in the town and not on the powers that be behind the scenes. It was a little awkward in places but over all it's quite enjoyable.

5. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

I had a good time with it. I have never been a huge fan of the original (I like it, but see room for improvement). I thought the performances were pretty strong and there was some well played set pieces.

6. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Finally something a little more obscure that's been remade. I know of two people who are checking out the original film because they enjoyed this remake. At least it's someting, in my opinion, that's a little more interesting: introducing an obscure (and very well done) classic film to a willing audience who may (or may not) enjoy it as much as the remake.

7. 2D4EVER

2D4EVER Guest

They have to move to more obscure movies for remakes. They've already whored out most of the classics.

8. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I saw this last night and enjoyed it as well, although maybe not as much as others. Haven't seen the original yet myself, but it sounds like a lot of people have enjoyed this version more. It had an 80s feel to me which I really liked, maybe it was the Carpenter-esque music score? The acting was also very good, nice to see older main characters instead of going the younger route like a lot of other remakes. I thought it would have been a little crazier though, excuse the pun, but there still were some good gore scenes and the slower pace again led to more of the 80s feel which wasn't a bad thing.

Ill give it a 7.5 out of 10.

9. Wez4555

Wez4555 Happy Trees Motherfucker!

had no failth in this but since everyones talking some good shit ill have to see it. i didnt like the original version too much. gave it 2 tries.

10. mkayers

mkayers Member

I had to go back & watch the original after seeing the remake. They're almost two different movies really. The remake has alot more "Crazies" while the original seemed to focus on the soldiers more. The original is good but the acting was horrible. There's no need to stress & shout every line.

11. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Have to agree with everyone here that this is one of the few enjoyable modern remakes. It's also one of the (smaller) few to improve upon the original.

12. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Wow Rotton Tomatoes has this 70% fresh from critics with the following consensus:

Consensus: Tense, nicely shot, and uncommonly intelligent, The Crazies is the rare horror remake that works.

I am intrigued....

13. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

Definitely going to see this, if only because I remember not being wild about the original and this has Timmy Olyphant. Dude makes almost anything good.

14. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Now i'm starting to think it's getting too much praise. It was definitely good but not THAT good.

15. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Yeah that's how I felt. Hopefully the overpraise doesn't make people expect too much from it and ruin its reputation as it definitely is one of the better remakes to come out in some time.

16. lv426

lv426 New Member

I liked it, especially the bit with the surgical saw.

17. SEANVALEN

SEANVALEN Active Member

Going to watch this tonight, looking forward to it.

18. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

This was pleasantly surprising. The first half hour or so was filled with your average, paint-by-numbers horror movie fare and I found myself rolling my eyes at a lot of the obvious jump scares. But the second half of the film was more of a road film in vein of the Carriers, with plenty of action. My only complaint would have to be the lack of "Crazies" running around. For a town filled to the brim with the infected, there was only small isolated groups a foot. I really had my fingers crossed that the end would have them running and fighting off a horde of these fuckers, but sadly no. An entertaining time over all.

Rating: 7/10

19. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

interesting...im the exact opposite. i thought the first half hour was pretty excellent, but that it fell off after that. The exposition was super tight, and the way the characters were set up was good.
    I loved the whole chief brody-esque feel of olyphant doing the small town sheriff bit, taking phone calls and dealing with the unhelpful mayor (their conversation by the swimming pool really felt like an homage to jaws, which i liked). despite the fact that its been shown in every trailer, the baseball scene was really well done. and the scene in the barn with the harvester machine was one of the most effectively creepy moments in the film. finally, i really liked the look of the swamp scenes. the two things they discover there were both high points of the film for me, visually speaking.

However, once the army showed up the whole thing became a little dull and uninteresting. the story was predictable, and the crazies were few and far between. and when they DID show up, they didn't act all that crazy. in fact, they just seemed to act like slightly annoyed regular people, settling grudges, talking to each other, and setting traps, rather than just ripping people apart. in fact, between the scene at the car wash and the scene at the diner, nothing occurred that was even meant to be scary. I found myself wondering if it should be considered a horror movie at all.

now sure, when taken in the context of the recent remakefest that the last decade has been, this one stands out simply by virtue of the fact that it was "not that bad." but a movie should be taken on its own terms. forget that this is a remake. as a movie, this one feels like a missed opportunity to me.

20. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Source: blu-ray.com