The Curse of La Llorna (2019)

Discussion in 'General' started by Workshed, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Only in Theaters April 19, 2019

Steel76 likes this.
  2. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    The dim lighting in that sitcom house is pretty scary. Otherwise, it's really nice. Looks like every current cliche in the book has been checked and accounted for.
    Looks like a perfect counterpart to the Conjuring films.

3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

This looks every bit as generic and forgettable as the rest of the Conjuring spin-offs, however I'm still planning to see it because:
    - I have AMC A-List (so it's free)
    - it's playing on the IMAX screen
    - it's only 90 minutes
    - it's R-rated and horror
    - the 26th is a dead weekend due to Avengers, so there will be nothing to see until The Intruder on May 3rd

I'll probably try to catch a double feature of this and Teen Spirit if the showtimes align.

Anyway, it's baffling to me that the best of these Conjuring spin-offs*, Wolves At The Door (following the cult from Annabelle on a Manson-inspired killing spree), was quietly dumped onto HBO while garbage like The Nun plays nationwide on the biggest screens imaginable. I guess Wolves was in pretty bad taste, but whatever.

* Unless Shazam! counts as a Conjuring spin-off, in which case Shazam! is easily the best film in the entire Conjuring universe. BY FAR!

Natas likes this.
  4. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I'm late getting into all these films. I've been really searching out the real stories that inspired all these movies. It's the Amityville fiend in me - the true stories seem so much
    more entertaining that the movie versions.

5. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

What was the name of the 60's film about the "Crying Woman" of Mexican legend ? It was shown many times on USA's old Commander USA's Groovy Movie back in the 80's.It was part of a package of black and white Mexican horror pics they used to run. I wanna say CURSE OF THE CRYING WOMAN ?

wago70 likes this.
  6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yep, La maldición de la Llorona a.k.a The Curse of the Crying Woman from 1963.

Erick H. and Workshed like this.
  7. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

So... basically the same title as the new film when translated from spanish.

8. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

...and also another new film, plus a 2007 film using the same exact name.

Erick H. and Workshed like this.
  9. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, felt sure it was the same premise. I first heard the story from the great book about urban legends,THE VANISHING HITCHHIKER.

Katatonia likes this.
  10. CPT HOOK

I caught the opening night IMAX screening, and thought it was a whole lotta meh. I probably liked it more than the Pet Sematary remake, and it's definitely better than The Nun and Annabelle, but not by a wide margin. Don't consider that a glowing endorsement.

I felt like I'd seen this movie before on the SyFy channel. Lights Out, The Diabolical, The Sandman, take your pick. This is essentially a Saturday night SyFy Original, only a fairly mediocre one.

Plot and character development / interaction are pretty much non-existent, it's mostly a mother and two children wandering through an old Los Angeles house and every so often a ghost bride will jump out. They're really the only main characters in the movie, aside from Raymond Cruz as the corny wise-cracking priest who is obsessed with eggs. I won't say whether this is true or not, but for most of the running time you just feel like the movie wouldn't have the balls to knock any of them off. Linda Cardellini needed a sassy best friend to kill off, or the kids needed a babysitter who dies in a mysterious "accident". Instead, everything just feels safe. In fact, this is the most ridiculous R-rating I have seen in a while, as this should be a pretty mild PG-13. It's bloodless, and I don't even remember any swearing.

So yeah, the first hour is pretty boring, just going through the Insidious / Conjuring paint-by-numbers. In the last half hour, it sort of becomes a siege movie, with four leads holed up in the house trying to keep the ghost bride out. The finale is occasionally fun, but nothing you haven't seen before. This movie establishes that this ghost can pretty much do anything without even being present, like throw people through the air or move things, so killing these damn kids should be a non-issue. She should be able to wave her hand, which will lift them in the air and throw them off a cliff or something. Doesn't make sense.

Anyway, wait for the inevitable SyFy channel airing, if you must. Maybe if you're die-hard for these Conjuring movies, but I think this genre has officially been more run into the ground than the zombie genre. If I never see another one, I wouldn't be sad about it.

11. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Appreciate the write up, my man...... Skip.

12. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I was supposed to see this at 12 today, but there's a tornado watch for the next six hours, so I thought it would probably be best to wait until next week. Seems like a bad place to be if a tornado hits. I like stuff like this, so I'll definitely see it next week before the Avengers takes over the entire theater for a month.

13. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Saw this today with a friend. Pretty much what you expect. There have been a few films over the past year that were rated R for one or two brief scenes. I can honestly say that this film could have been rated PG (not PG-13). Can anyone tell me what scenes got this one the R rating? I don't recall anything to merit that. If you're a fan of the Conjuring universe this one was at least much better than The Nun.

14. CPT HOOK

You can't recall anything because there is nothing here to merit the R-rating. This is pretty mild compared to Happy Death Day 2U, Glass, or Escape Room, all of which were PG-13.

15. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Saw this the other day, and while the jump scares are pretty good, it's definitely a fast food, paint-by-numbers horror movie. The weeping woman looks generically spooky, and her backstory is presented in a matter-of-factly way, with no sense of mystery at all. I wasn't bored, but I was left a bit unsatisfied. For all the jump scares, the movie ends flatly:
    The weeping woman is stabbed in the heart with a crucifix, and the priest says that he was not really scared at any point during the whole ordeal. Way to diffuse any lingering terror.

Workshed likes this.
  16. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Glad to hear it's at least better than The Nun. Still looks crappy from the looks of the trailer. Just really generic.

17. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Out of all the films from the Conjuring universe I thought the Nun was the worst.

18. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I think the first Annabelle was the worst.
    I rewatched The Nun, and it wasn't as bad as I remembered, even though it's still not great.

Llorna started out pretty good, but the midsection was boring.
    Thankfully it improved in the final 30 minutes.

I didn't find Llorna herself very scary.
    I wish the Nun was the villain in this one instead, as she´s much more creepy to me.

Annabelle 2 is still the only spin off movie, of the same quality of the main series.

I'm still looking forward to Conjuring 3 and Annabelle Comes Home (which to me looks more like a main part of the Conjuring series), but after that, I think the franchise needs a break.
    I love supernatural films, but watching Llorna, I'm started to feel a bit burned out.

How I rank the films in the franchise.
    1. The Conjuring 2
    2. The Conjuring
    3. Annabelle 2
    4. Curse of Llorna
    5. The Nun
    6. Annabelle

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  19. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I found the first Annabelle somewhat enjoyable - so my list would differ slightly:

How I rank the films in the franchise.
    1. The Conjuring
    2. The Conjuring 2
    3. Annabelle 2
    4. Annabelle
    5. Curse of Llorna (havent seen this one yet so I am just assuming its not as bad as The Nun - but maybe it is)
    6. The Nun

20. CPT HOOK

1. The Conjuring 2
    2. Wolves At The Door
    3. The Conjuring
    4. Annabelle: Creation
    5. The Curse Of La Llorona
    6. Annabelle
    7. The Nun

If Shazam! counts, that would be my #1. I'll probably never see Aquaman, so no comment. Both feature cameos from the Annabelle doll.