The Dead Next Door-Any Good?

Discussion in 'General' started by Big Bobby D, Jul 31, 2004.

1. betterdan

betterdan Guest

I bought the old Splatter Rampage disc a a while back and quickly sold it. I couldn't believe how horribly stupid it was. I was gonna give it a second chance with this new dvd but decided against it. There are too many good movies to spend my money on rather than this. Besides that is more money I could be spending at Horrorfind.

2. Silent Noize

Silent Noize New Member

I picked this up today at my work for $8.34. Havent watched it yet but I will later today. Looks good.

3. Silent Noize

Silent Noize New Member

Alright, I just watched the movie....

hahaha yeah, it was a bad movie. But i woudnt say it's complete shit. Not nearly as bad as some are making it out to be. It's just a cheesy, low budget, bad acted, campy zombie flick from the 1980's. It's entertaining enough though. One thing that really annoys me about this movie....why is the whole film overdubbed ? It's just weird hearing Bruce Campbell's voice coming out of someone elses mouth. heh.

2 1/2 out of 5

Last edited: Aug 10, 2005
  4. 4Gotten1

4Gotten1 Guest

Picked it up at BB yesterday, will probably watch it tonight. Hey, this movie was made by a teenager who was heavily influenced by the likes of George Romero with a super 8mm camera. It is what it is and I'm just as excited about seeing it as I was four months ago. I guess it's too bad some people didn't know what they were in for. By the way there was no sound recorded during filming, the whole thing was dubbed, which is how they intentionally made it. Anyone else notice / or think that the music from the movie that plays on the main menu is kind of similar to Romero's Day of the Dead?

5. dmeister

dmeister New Member

What I thought I was getting myself into was a "worthy addition to any gorehound's DVD shelf" (from Rue Morgue) or a "no-holds-barred, laugh-a-minute gorefest" (from Dark Star) or even a "rambunctious, inventive chunkblower" (from Deep Red). What I actually got into was the long-lost US remake of Bruno Mattei's 1981 crapfest, Hell of the Living Dead.

dmeister

6. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

:lol: :nervous: :nervous: :lol:

7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Perhaps you should have checked here: http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/a-m/dnd/
    for your review

While I was mostly positive about it, you will notice I occcasionally used phrases like "amateurish production" and "sub-par acting and dialogue"

I liked it for what it was, a feature film done with home movie equipment, but that's about it.

8. dmeister

dmeister New Member

I like low-budget zombie movies as much as the next guy. I picked up Hide and Creep, Shallow Ground (not strictly a zombie flick), and Dead Meat when I bought The Dead Next Door, and all three were vastly superior.

dmeister

9. Big Bobby D

Big Bobby D Guest

I picked it up @ Best Buy for $12.00 today. It wasn't what I was expecting and overall I wasn't very happy with it. But I gotta watch it again while listening to the audio commentary, so, maybe I'll like it better watching it a second time (that's what happened to me with The Deadly Spawn.) But, for a $12.00 dvd it's well worth it espicially if you're a fan of the movie.

10. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

11. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

:D Oh man! I really gotta get this now!

12. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

I'm kinda on the fence with this one. Are we talking low budget like Deadbeat at Dawn low or even lower? I am quite the undead fan though, so for only $12 I might have to add this one to my collection purely out of love for that sub-genre. Sounds like AB did a good job on the disc itself too.

13. dmeister

dmeister New Member

I'm not sure what they spent on The Dead Next Door, but I can tell you that the budget was apparently 99% = Special Makeup Effects and 1% = Everything Else (including incidentals like actors, cameras, props, and so on). But, like I said, I would pick up a flick like Hide and Creep first; at least it was funny. The Dead Next Door does have some impressive gore though, for a movie of its low caliber, which may be a consideration for many.

dmeister

14. betterdan

betterdan Guest

I really liked Deadbeat at Dawn and I like a lot of shitty and weird flicks but this movie was just down right annoyingly bad. Yea the effects were surprisingly decent but then again so were Hellspawn's and at least I got some enjoyment out of that Polonia creation. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2005
  15. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

So far it looks like this movie has gotten some raving reviews on here...and this thing has been called a 'cult movie' huh? I can't wait for the DVD to get here in the mail to check out how bad it is! :eek1:

16. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Is the DVD cut? Because I see a lot of places listing the runtime as 82 or 84 minutes, but the DVD is 78.

17. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Maybe they sped up the closing credits... I do recall that closing credits sequence was the slowest thing in movie history. I had read about it b4 I got the vhs some years ago, and they mentioned the slowest credits crawl ever and ya, it was slow. (They thank everyone... goddamn) But I dunno.

18. Big Bobby D

Big Bobby D Guest

It's possible the runtime has been shortened because the opening and closing credits have been completely redone, just like every other Bookwalter movie on dvd unfortunatly. I really don't like that, but, you can get a glimpse of the original title credits during the music video, and from what I can tell they looked like the ones from Return Of The Living Dead, so, maybe that's why the titles have been changed, but I doubt they were changed for possible legal reasons. Another thing I cannot understand is why on the dvd no one is supposed to say that Sam Raimi gave J.R. Bookwalter some money to get this movie made, and what ever happened to Bookwalter and Jon Killough's relationship. Everone says Bookwalter is a great guy but Killough makes him out as some type of asshole. I figure they got in some type of dissagreement during the making of '89's Skinned Alive. I'm hoping that these questions will be explained in the audio commentary included on the disc.

19. Silent Noize

Silent Noize New Member

I was asking that to myself also. Maybe Raimi is so embarrassed by this film that he dosent want his name on it?

Anyway, I've been spending alittle more time with this flick and it's starting to grow on me more. I initiall gave it a 2 1/2 out of a 5 after first viewing. Now I think I will change that to a 3 1/2 out of 5. There is just something awesomly entertaining to this cheeseball of a movie. And I think that it should be viewed at least once by all hardcore zombie fans.

20. dmeister

dmeister New Member

Well, when you figure out what it is, let me know.

dmeister