The Dead Next Door-Any Good?

Discussion in 'General' started by Big Bobby D, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

:lol:
    And the beep, beep, beep when they all mouthed their phone numbers cracked me up. Any lip readers here?!? :lol:

I finally finished watching all the special features the other morning and some are just hilarious, especially the reunion show!

2. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Me too and the special features are awesome. I especially enjoyed the reunion show. There was lots of laughter at casa onebyone. Big ups to Anchor Bay for putting together such an amusing DVD for a movie like this. Definitely glad I picked this one up.

3. kyouki

kyouki Guest

I didn't care much for this movie at all.

I watched it with my friend last weekend... we are big zombie movie fans so I thought we'd get some enjoyment out of this.

First off, the good stuff:

The gore was done pretty well, and I loved the zombie head eating the fingers scene.

Now the bad stuff:

This movie was just boring! There's nothing I hate more while I'm watching a movie than to think "when will this be over? Oh man, another 45 minutes!!!" The story also didn't work at all for me... there was really nothing clever here, and the characters were boring. I absolutely HATED the injokes. I can't stand that kind of stuff. Instead of striking me as clever, it made me roll my eyes. And of course the characters couldn't talk to one another without referring to each other by their last names, in case you missed it the first few times. At least they didn't have the character Bruce Campbell voiced say "groovy" or "come get some" or "boomstick!"

I wasn't bothered much by the low budget. That usually doesn't matter to me, and I can really enjoy low budget movies!

Better (bad) zombie movies, imo: Hell of the Living Dead (seriously), Zombies 3, 4, 5.

Good thing this was only $9.99! I'll be attempting to get rid of it somehow.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2005
  4. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

I just stumbled across this thread. I bought the movie for $4.89 at work a month or two ago and enjoyed it. While watching, I didn't notice Bruce Campbell's voice being dubbed over so I'll have to go back and listen for it.

5. I watched this blindly today (not reading about what the movie was about, who starred in it, etc.). I liked it. The movie was a cheese-ball production, and the genre references were VERY obvious (Ex. "...like what happened to King & Romero"), but it was just a good cheeseball movie.

The special features are a joy! Mucho Kudos to AB on this release, its pretty complete.

6. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Watched this for the first time tonight and didn't care for it. I would've liked a more engaging story/characters. An hour and a half of zombie action doesn't do it for me unless I buy the plot or characters.

7. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

I still remember when the DVD came out how people were praising it. However this movie was so bad I wanted to stab my eyes out. I always have a sweet tooth for crazy shit flix. Still this people was just flat out plain garbage IMO.

8. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

9. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I very excitedly bought the Anchor Bay DVD way back when it was first released... and never watched it.

10. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Given that this was shot on 8mm, how much better can the film really look?

11. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Is it any good?

Yes- a little.

12. gobad2003

gobad2003 Active Member

:lol: I can't count how many times I've done that, But anyway it's a decent zombie flick, you could do a lot worse.

13. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

One of the cheapest movies you'll ever see in your lifetime, that's for sure.

14. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Totally agree! What a waste! I like this film a lot, but this is an example of taking advantage of the fans. Those in the know will realize there really isn't that much resolution in Super 8 film. It might look a bit better, but it'll be 4:3 and not worth an upgrade.

15. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Probably very minimal. A better encode surely, but I doubt there will be much upgrade in any visual details.

Audio might be a little better as lossless.

16. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

As someone who have had all our Super 8 mm home movies transfered to first DVD and now lately on BD, the improvements are more noticeable than you think.
    Not only are filmgrain better handled by the higher bitrate, but the increase in fine-details was bigger than expected as well :)

Some thought that 16mm wouldn´t look any better in highdef. Well it did, big time.
    8mm don´t have the resolution of a 16mm print, but there is still enough to warrant an upgrade to BD.

17. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

18. CPT HOOK

19. CPT HOOK

88 Films had previously announced this would be region free, but looks like J.R. Bookwalter is making them region lock it now so he can release his own $35 limited edition IndieGoGo blu-ray release here in the US.

IndieGoGo: The Dead Next Door Ultimate Edition

20. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Movies that are shot on 16 or 8mm always look worse to me on Blu Ray especially if there is lots of black/shadows in the film/lighting. This may the encode or compression, but I generally find they look better on DVD. I'm not saying that it can't look better on Blu, just that it hasn't to my eyes.