The Devil's Rejects (HOTC part 2)

Discussion in 'General' started by rxfiend, Mar 2, 2004.

1. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Oh, I can't wait!

2. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

When I first saw it, I didn't like the first film that much. It's grown on me a little bit though---I like to catch it whenever it's on cable....I'm really rooting for this new film to be a hit and cause others to make more R-rated horror films.

In the old days we wanted unrated horror films...it's sad that now we're just happy if they're rated R.

3. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

Early word on this has been mostly good...with only one negative review that I read at AICN. The "maid" clip was rather unimpressive, but the trailers and the early buzz are really making me want to camp out at my local theater the night before the show.

Revenge of the Sith? Whatever. :sleepy:

Bring on the Rejects!! :evil:

4. Alien Redrum

Alien Redrum New Member

Personally, I don't even bother with AICN anymore, as it is seemingly written by 12 year olds. :lol:

The maid clip was only a small part of the movie and I am curious on why they would pick that one part out. Was there any reason why, except for "OMG THAT SCENE SUCKED1111!!!!1!!! THE MAID DIDN'T EVEN SHOW HER TITTTIESSSSSSSSSSSSSS AND SHE WAS HOT!!1ONEONEUNO!!!!" ? :D

The only reservation I had about the whole movie was the ending, and at that, not how it ended, but rather how it was edited. But, to be honest, if that's my only beef, I can definitely live with it.

I'm really, really hoping that the cut last night was the "R" rated cut, and if it is, wow. It would be sweet.

If Zombie keeps progressing like he did from House to Devil's, man, are we in for a treat.

5. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

I'm going to a screening tonight. I never saw Corpses... is it absolutely necessary that I do before seeing Rejects? I get the feeling that it isn't. I'm not doing anything else today though, so I may just go rent it.

6. Luna

Luna Guest

Damn straight! :banana:

7. Alien Redrum

Alien Redrum New Member

Not necessary at all to see Corpses because they tell enough of the back story in the beginning. Plus, Corpses has a completely different feel than House, so it's quite good as a standalone. I thought so, anyway.

However, if you do plan on seeing the first one, there are some spoilers from the first movie that you find out right away in the second, so be prepared for that. Actually, you won't have to prepare for it because you won't know they were spoilers from the first.

God I hope that made since. :D

Okay, let me try it this way.

Say you were watching a movie about a rabid dog. Then you find out at the end of the movie who owns the rabid dog. Then part two comes out with the owner of the rabid dog and the rabid dog doing things. If you just saw part two, it's not a spoiler, but if you go back and watch part one, you already know who owns the dog.

Is that any better? :lol:

8. Alien Redrum

Alien Redrum New Member

Oh, and Mutley, when you see it, I'd like your thoughts on the ending montage. You can PM me to avoid spoilers.

I, personally, felt if was too long. It was the only downside of the movie, but considering how good the rest of it was, it was minor.

9. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Blood, broads, booze and bullets...

Spoiler free review...

Okay, just got back from the screening, and oh man...

This is the feelgood movie of the year - for ruthless outlaws, that is. It's gritty, grimy, ugly, relentless, and just plumb raw as fuck.

AR, I'm right with you on most of your comments. To add to them...

I think it needs to be said right up front that this is not a 'scary' film, as that was the one complaint my two friends who saw it with me had. No, this is rather a 'violence exploitation' film. It indulges greedily in exhibiting brutality for brutality's sake, not for some cheap thrills; there are no 'GOTCHA!' moments here - just a whole lot of blood, guts, and anarchistic abandon.

The plot works well for me. The motivations and drives of both the family and of the lawmen are nicely played out, and it all comes together very well... with some possibly unexpected results.

I think the casting was great, and the acting from everyone was natural and believeable. Yes, some of it's a bit over the top, but we're not talking 'normal people' here. The protagonists here are twisted fucks, and mean twisted fucks at that, and the victims caught in their web find themselves in dire straits indeed, so it's wholly understandable that they might just be a little on edge (understatement).

The editing is terrific, the story clicking along at a good pace and coherently so. The visual style is just great, with old school exterior filming of desert highway culture and scenery. Interiors look great too, with attention to detail and natural lighting. But it's not all straitforward realism, as a few creative artistic moments serve to shake things up from time to time. It all worked very well together, and I really, really really liked the look of this film.

And the scenes... they're just right on. I don't want to give anything away, but there is stuff here that is just brutal as hell. But I guess that was the whole point. :)

Getting back to you AR,
    (mild, specifics-free spoiler)
    the ending actually worked for me. Sure, it started off a little slow, but then when I noticed what was going on, the explicit synchronizing of the screen action with the soundtrack, I really got into it. This is a southern film, and as such, what better way to end it than with one of the quintisential hallmarks of southern culture? It may have lost some of it's impact over recent years, and has even been the target of ridicule in certain quarters, but in the context of this film, I think it was a brilliant move to use it in the way that they did.

Oh, and I did get to watch House of a 1000 Corpses just before Devil's Rejects, and Rejects wins hands down. Corpses was fun, but just didn't come together as well as Rejects. There is still humor in Rejects, but it's a much more serious film. I also feel that the acting and cinematography were better. It is clear to me that Zombie is maturing as a filmmaker.

I'll probably be catching this one again when it's released, and will definitely be picking up the dvd.

10. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Thanks for the review, Hyde! It really sounds amazing, and its cool to hear that you thought it was better than the first film. I've been dying to see this one, and I wish I could've gone to that screening.

11. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Damn man, and you're practically in the neighborhood. Did you not know about it? I shoulda said something sooner, dangit.

Well, just FYI, they handed out passes for a High Tension screening next Thursday (at Cinemark 17), the 26th, if you're interested, although HT comes out the week after that, so it may not be worth the drive.

12. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Nah, I didn't know, but if I had, I would've made the drive for sure. For now, I'm content with your review though. ;)

13. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Oh man, you just made me more excited for this movie, Hyde. Thanks for the great review!! :banana:

14. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Thanks, Hyde. I am not a fan of the first movie but this sounds a lot more my speed. I'll forgive HOTC and check it out. :)

15. Alien Redrum

Alien Redrum New Member

Great summary, Mutley. You were right on.

Regarding your spoiler...

okay, since you put it that way, i have a feeling the next time I watch it, I will appreciate it a lot more. I only wish that I felt that way on first viewing, because I felt that it just went on for wayyyyy to long. But, again, your opinion of it has changed mine and, yeah, your right, I think it does work.

On a side note, did you see PJ Soles? I didn't even recognize her. When my buddy pointed her out, I just laughed.

16. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Heh, of course I spotted P.J. right away - I've only watched Rock and Roll High School about a bajillion times. ;) However, the credits at iMDB mention Mary Woronov (Principle Togar), and I didn't recognize her. That makes me mad at myself. :lol:

I also noticed Steve Railsback from Ed Gein and the original Helter Skelter (he was one of the deputies).

And Ginger Lynn is here too, remaining true to her, um, craft. :D And what happens right after is funny as hell, heh.

It was great seeing Ken Forree, Michael Berryman, Geoffrey Lewis, Priscilla Barnes, Danny Trejo... well, like I said, it was a great cast.

p.s., AR, glad I could change your mind. ;)

And you're welcome, Ryan and Myron... glad to be of service!

17. fragglesmock

fragglesmock Guest

I just got back from a screening and have to say it rocked. I agree pretty much with what the others are saying about TDJ, but I do feel the ending sequence could be shortened a tad. If this is an actual R rated movie I have to ask what the hell happened? I remember when R rated movies were very similar to this but then they all got watered down more and more. Being the cynic that I am, I doubt this will be the final cut...who knows.

On a side note, the screening I went to had about 10 kids who were all under the age of ten. DO NOT take your kids to see this movie...it's not a family movie. It's about a family, but not the kind I'd like to meet. Besides, they all need to sneak into it like I would have when I was younger.

On another side note, Mutley, be glad your going to see High Tension, Switchblade Romance or whatever they are calling it for free. If you're anything like me, You'll love the first hour and 15 then hate the last 10-15. I swear, when I saw it around Halloween I kept thinking, "Man, they don't make (well, anyway) movies quite like this anymore" until it got to the "Surprise" ending. The I hated the fact I wasted my time on it.

fraggle

18. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Blabbermouth - According to Monsters and Critics, the soundtrack album to "The Devil's Rejects", the follow up to Rob Zombie's gritty, violent smash horror hit, "House of 1000 Corpses", will be released on June 28, 2005. Written and directed by Zombie, "The Devil's Rejects" reunites the homicidal members of the Firefly family, tracing their bloody flight from an outlaw sheriff hell-bent on revenge...

Deftly blending classic western violence with macabre humor and terrifying suspense, "The Devil's Rejects" is a shocking portrait of outlaw justice and the soundtrack album is as twisted and fascinating as the film itself — bringing together '70s rock classics, tracks from long-forgotten rocker TERRY REID, country and blues gems, and a rarity from BANJO & SULLIVAN, the country duo who disappeared following a grisly murder committed by killers depicted in the film. Lions Gate Films will release the film on July 22, 2005 nationwide.

Presented as a DualDisc (one side CD, other side DVD), a first-ever for soundtracks, "The Devil's Rejects" (Hip-O/UMG Soundtracks/UMe) is available in explicit and edited versions. The DVD side includes a 20-minute "Making Of The Devil's Rejects" feature, trailers, a photo gallery and the album in High Resolution Stereo (DVD-Audio players) and Dolby Digital Stereo (standard DVD players). Dialogue snippets and two vintage BANJO & SULLIVAN radio ads are interspersed on the CD album side.

The rock classics are 1970's "Midnight Rider" from THE ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND; "Shambala", the gold Top 5 pop smash from THREE DOG NIGHT; "Fooled Around And Fell In Love", ELVIN BISHOP's gold Top 5 from 1976; "Funk #49", THE JAMES GANG's 1970 fave; the Top 40 "Rocky Mountain Way" from JOE WALSH's 1973 post-JAMES GANG solo debut; "Rock On", the 1973 Top 5 from cult pop star DAVID ESSEX, and "Free Bird", LYNYRD SKYNYRD's 1973 cut that is one of the most requested in album rock radio history.

Reid is heard with "Brave Awakening", "To Be Treated Rite" and the title track from his Graham Nash-produced 1976 album "Seed of Memory". The singer-songwriter-guitarist is legendary for rejecting the lead singer gig for the band that became LED ZEPPELIN, as he later did an offer from DEEP PURPLE. He opened for the ROLLING STONES on their 1969 U.S. tour but at age 20 his career stalled, and he has hardly recorded since the '70s.

Chicago bluesman OTIS RUSH contributes his 1956 R&B Top 10 "I Can't Quit You Baby". From country are KITTY WELLS' "It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels", a 1952 country #1; BUCK OWENS' 1966 honky tonk hymn "Satan's Got To Get Along With Me", and BANJO & SULLIVAN ("I'm Home Getting Hammered (While She's Out Getting Nailed)").

19. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

That soundtrack sounds pretty fun. I wonder where "Shambala" will fit in... I like that song. Hope its a memorable scene... so everytime I hear it... Devils' Rejects will pop into my head... like when I hear that Stealers Wheel song, I think Reservoir Dogs. :)

20. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Holy shit that soundtrack sounds great, I'll be picking it up.