The Devil's Rejects (HOTC part 2)

Discussion in 'General' started by rxfiend, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Twas Zombie himself. It was funny show, with Zombie talking about how he spent much of his childhood watching TV.

2. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

Ahhh yes, the ol' "misspent youth" stories! Gotta love them!

Thanks for the update/closure. Now I can officially start kicking meself.

3. Paul0889

Paul0889 New Member

WOW just got back from TDR. excellent movie, much better than the first in my opinion. i thought it kicked ass. the whole movie had some good music and a completely 70's feel(i heard it was also shot on super 16). it was definatly brutal but not quite as gory as i thought(although much much more bloody than the first). the acting was fantastic and the characters were great. you actually feel a little sympathy for the firefly family as the film progresses. the ending was actually sad in my opinion but VERY powerful, and had lynard skynard's "free bird" playing over. great great movie, really fantastic

4. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

This sucks... the nearest "big" theatre near me,(2 hr drive) in the city, isn't even getting this movie. I checked all of there listings and nothing. WTF? Man, what a piss off.

5. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Yeah I just checked for showtimes near to me and got....nothing. This sucks. If I don't take a long road trip tomorrow or Sunday, I am pretty much screwed.

Of course, I might just take that trip.

6. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

I just got back as well and although I can't say it was definitely better than the first it was still fucking great. I love all the scenes with the Firefly family, but Wydell was so fucking annoying. He did a couple of pretty cool things, but his acting and dialogue was so annoying that I found most of his scenes tedious. I also like that they revealed where the villians' alias' came from, but I could have gone without the critic character. Ken Foree is the pimp daddy! Overall, I find the first film more entertaining, but this film had some scenes that were better than anything the first had to offer.

7. betterdan

betterdan Guest

It is playing by me thankfully and we will be seeing it tomorrow. I can't wait, this one seems like a good time. :)

8. philxus

philxus New Member

I just watch the movie today (7/22) i though i was awesome,a lot better than the first one!!! :banana: :evil:

9. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

The Devil's Rejects is the film that House of 1000 Corpses wanted to be (and had flashes of being at times), but couldn't quite pull off.

Brutal, grimy, and sadistic has rarely ever looked this beautiful.

Gone are the crazy color schemes, the split-screens, and the overdone MTV-esque editing of the first film. With The Devil's Rejects, we get cleverly-placed wipes and freeze-frames to complement the action, all set to what may very well end-up being one of the best soundtracks I have heard in some time. Normally, I hate compilation soundtracks, but the song selection here of classic hard rock is used so well in terms of the story and characters, that I was getting chills upon hearing them.

I must admit that even seeing this film playing in a multiplex turned out to be a very surreal experience. The film is unforgiving in its brutality. There are no "good" guys here (although, I suspect many will be cheering on the Firefly clan). A film where
    a woman is held at gunpoint, made to strip, and then has the pistol shoved down her panties
    is not the "fun" Friday night at the movies that the mainstream filmgoers are used to.

The Devil's Rejects is one helluva ride. Where Rob Zombie teased us about not pulling any punches in Corpses. here in The Devil's Rejects the gloves have finally come off and Zombie is showing he just may be here to stay.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2005
  10. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

11. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Just came back from this. Folks, this suckers the real thing. This fucking movie has balls to spare. The acting was top notch, the music fit perfectly, and the violence-although not the goriest thing you'll see-is brutal. Just like a horror movie should be. The ending is the best I've seen in a LONG time in any film.

Say what you will, but to me this fucker is a bonafide classic. 9/10!

12. DVDBone

DVDBone Member

I give it a huge thumbs up. I loved it ... even more than House of 1,000 Corpses. And trust me ... I thought House of 1,000 Corpses was one of the better horror films of the last 5 years. I can't remember a film that has better use of music that this one. It's nearly perfect.

13. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Goddamn that was one rough fucking ride!! This is the movie horror fans have been waiting for since the damn 70's ended! Period. This is probably the first movie I've ever seen where I've actually felt disgusted at some points, and that's where this movie has balls! Brutal, violent, sadistic, darkly humourous, and flat out acted and shot to perfection. It gets in and under your brain and stays there the whole trip. A solid 10 out of 10. Take your ma and pa, and enjoy the one-way trip to Hell!

14. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Dammit!! I'm so pissed I can't see this anywhere here... the nearest place... 6 hr drive away. Fuck! I'm ticked. This is not good.

15. Luna

Luna Guest

Oh hell. I really have to see this! :banana:

16. legnadibrom

legnadibrom Guest

pretty awesome flick, nothing like the first

17. slayerfan

slayerfan Guest

I just got back and all I can say is SON-OF-A-FAT-BITCH! This is one of the best movies I have seen in a looong time. I went into this movie having seen the first 10 minutes on Spike tv and seeing the clips online and I thought it was gonna be more like an action movie. Shit, was I wrong. This is one that will make you feel dirty, trust me.

The acting is top notch, all the characters do a great job. Leslie Easterbrook did a fantastic job as Mother Firefly. I was kinda apprehensive since Karen Black wasn't in it but she filled the role nicely. I, like most of you I'm sure, went into this pulling for the Rejects but the further they went, the more I found myself being repulsed by them. With that being said, I was actually torn in two by the end but that's all I will say about that.

The soundtrack and the way it plays with the film is one of the best uses of music in a movie I have ever seen. The finale with Freebird had me sucked in so deep I thought I was there. The music and the visuals gave this a 70's feel unlike anything I have seen since the 70's.

The Mtv style cuts are gone thank God. The visual psychedelic bullshit is gone. What we have here is a straight ahead, grab you by the fucking throat dirty ride. I usually don't get excited about movies. Hell, I still don't know if I like the first one or not but I do know this is a classic. If you're looking for a movie made like the first one this isn't it. This one is more like Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer.

So to sum up all my damn rambling, this movie is a jewel!!! Everyone needs to see this, period! 12/10

18. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Fucking wow! This film is an experience! I saw it in a packed stadium theater, and the crowd was having one hell of a time with the film. It was obvious the vast majority of the crowd was enjoying the ride.

I have often seen people say how they're surprised that certain films get away with an R rating, but this is the first time I've actually felt that way. There is some brutal, gruesome, disturbing shit on display here, and all of it looks as realistic as can be. One scene with a thrown knife made me tingle because it looked so damn painful. There is also nudity galore. This is a film that takes absolutely no prisoners, and I applaud that. Its a horror film that is absolutely horrifying when it wants to be.

Zombie's direction is much more restrained and focused this time around. All of the little touches and editing nuances he throws in work perfectly within the context of the film, be it the freeze frames or the sliding from scene to scene. Also, his use of music is simply genius. The songs are perfect fits for the montages in which they appear, and they add a taste of melancholy fun to the proceedings. This film's soundtrack kicks ass, plain and simple. I must have it.

The acting is very impressive. William Forsythe is my personal favorite. He nails Sheriff Wydell's disintegrating sanity better than I ever imagined. The character's obssession, sadness, hatred, insanity, hypocricy,... all beautifully brought out by Forsythe's performance. The guy delivers a real tour de force.
    He's especially brilliant in the scenes where he finally has the rejects right where he wants them towards the end. His relentless torture of them, as well as his stalking of Baby really bring his madness and sadism to the surface.
    He somehow manages to come off as more psychotic than those he's been hunting.

As far as the rejects themselves go, they're more fleshed out and interesting this time out. Sid Haig is just a riot. I was very pleased with his much increased amount of screentime this time around. This guy never fails to crack me up. Moseley is once again at his pychotic best too, while Sheri Moon impressed me a lot more than she did in Corpses. The rejects' interactions with each other make for some nice, often comedic moments.

Good ol' Ken Foree is a real standout as wacky pimpster, Charlie. A very likable and charismatic character, and funny too. Michael Berryman plays well off of him for comedic effect in their scenes together. Their encounter with a chicken salesman makes for the film's funniest moment. Its just great seeing these two guys on the screen again, especially together.

This film is warped, repulsive, and downright unnerving. That said, it still manages to be both funny and fun when the script calls for it. The characters are great, the tension is rattling, and the music compliments the proceedings like no other soundtrack I've heard before. This is a brilliant piece of work. I honestly cannot think of one problem I had with the film. Well, maybe one, as I would've liked to have seen Dr. Satan again. ;) But whatever. Hopefully my packed theater showing is a sign of success at the box office. This film deserves it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2005
  19. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Holy fucking shit that was an awesome film. A huge improvement over House and quite possibly the most violent and brutal film I've seen in theaters.

5/5 for me.

20. ReNeGaDe

ReNeGaDe Guest

I left the theater disapointed. Nothing like HOTC. Kind of like Kill Bill 1 & 2, This movie gets slow and lame, and i was expecting it to be wall 2 wall bloodshead. Well its not, I sensed more of a rip of Last House on the Left and Clock Work Orange at some points (you know that scene. i do want to see it again, because this is one horror film that needs to be watched, its kind of unlike anything you seen, this shit stands on its own.

I like HOTC better b/c of its non stop gore and

Devils Rejects, is just odd,

The biggest letdown since The Village