The Disaster Artist (2017)

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by thing, Nov 30, 2017.

1. thing

thing Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    The Disaster Artist (2017)
    Directed by James Franco

This is the true story behind aspiring actors Tommy Wiseau (James Franco) & Greg Sestero (Dave Franco) who decided to make their own film 'The Room (2003)' that went on to be a cult 'so bad its good' film. The production goes to great lengths to recreate the characters and film within a film scenes. Fans of The Room will get a kick out of this but I think it can appeal to those who have not seen it either. I had only seen the first 15-20 mins of The Room before I switched it off but I found The Disaster Artist compelling viewing and one of the better films of the year. I would not be surprised if James Franco picked up some acting nominations either.

7/10

Copyboy likes this.
  2. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I've seen THE ROOM twice, once at a late show and once at a Rifftrax screening. THE DISASTER ARTIST looks amusing, wonder how insightful it truly will be regarding the making of a genuine cinematic oddity ? I'll give it a shot.

thing likes this.
  3. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Both Franco and Wiseau were on kimmel tonight. The movie is based on Wiseau’ creative partners book.

4. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

looking forward to this, never seen the room, but I've heard quite a bit about it.

thing likes this.
  5. Copyboy

Copyboy Well-Known Member

LOVED both THE ROOM and Sestero's Disaster Artist but had no idea Disaster Artist was being made into a movie! This is going to be a hoot!

6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I loved the book, but was left really underwhelmed by the movie. Any substance the book has to offer is skimmed over in favor of James Frano's Tommy impression. The rare moment of heart comes from the lovely Jackie Weaver during an on-set lunch, and the movie needed more of that.

Also, I can't imagine it would be accessible for anyone who hasn't seen The Room. So if you haven't, don't go!

Earlier this year there was a terrific movie called Brigsby Bear and I couldn't help but notice the parallels. Brigsby Bear is about a man who is disconnected from society, but learns connection through mutual love of an obscure TV show and eventually by creating art of his own. It's fun, it's moving, and it nails every bullseye The Disaster Artist was aiming for and missed.

I'd highly recommend Greg Sestero's book The Disaster Artist, it's not only a terrific look at the making of the movie, but an excellent depiction of Hollywood dreams and life as an aspiring actor. I'd also highly recommend Brigsby Bear, which will probably be in my top 10 films of the year. Definitely seek out either of those before settling for this movie.

That said, if you do go, make sure to stay until after the credits for a cameo from the real Tommy.

7. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

This is playing in IMAX here, is there any reason for that? I'm interested in this but I really don't like The Room. The Rifftrax of it is pretty funny, but I find the actual movie painful to watch and it's a chore to get through even with the riffing. The cult classic status this movie has developed confounds me. I still might see this at some point though.

Since you mentioned Brigsby Bear, how Kyle Mooney-like is Kyle Mooney in that? It sounds like a premise I would enjoy but I don't find that dude funny at all on SNL and he was the worst part of Zoolander 2 - and that's saying something because outside of Penelope Cruz's cleavage that movie was all bad parts. I've never seen him actually act though, so maybe he's different in a more serious part.

8. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I can't imagine any reason for IMAX, it's definitely not one of the more visually interesting films out there. The Room is so popular that I'm sure people will spring for it.

As for Kyle Mooney, unfortunately I can't help you because I had no idea who he was before seeing Brigsby Bear. Looking at his IMDB, I've seen Neighbors 2 and Hello, My Name Is Doris, but I don't remember him at all in either of those.

9. thing

thing Well-Known Member

I felt the opposite I regards to having seen the room or not.. I think it would be totally accessible if you have not seen it.

10. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

I'll check this movie out. The Room isn't the worst movie to ever hit creation. It's a bad, throwaway movie made infamous by an inept lead performance. Those who call it the Citizen Kane of bad movies probably haven't seen Return of the Boogeyman, Amityville: Vanishing Point, Savage Vengeance, etc.

11. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I haven't seen any of those movies, but I gotta disagree with you that the "inept lead performance" is the what gives The Room its infamy. It's total bad movie making in every single aspect, and that's why it gets the "Citizen Kane of bad movies" moniker. It's so much more than just poor acting. I mean, plots that get dropped almost the moment they're introduced (Lisa's mother's cancer, Denny and the drugs, etc), characters come and go throughout the entire length of the film, horrible camera work if you can even call it "camera work", and attempts at drama that are downright laughable. It also deserves mention for the fact that it's TRYING to be a serious film (Wiseau now claims he was trying to make it funny, which is so obviously not true) and falls on its face in every single scene. A lot of bad horror movies are trying to be schlock, The Room never was, which ups the "worst movie ever" quotient.

12. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

I have to disagree to a certain extent. If Wiseau's performance was bad in a forgettable way, the rest of the film would have slipped into obscurity. It's a miserable movie, but there's so much worse out there. However, his speech mannerisms and that whole, "You're tearing me apart, Lisa!" thing are pretty much what keeps this movie in the spotlight. The Room as a movie? Bad. Wiseau's performance? Legendarily terrible.

13. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Just watched the disaster artist, and I loved it, it may be for the last week I've been subjected to the most benign shit Christmas TV has to ofer, but I thought it was great, very funny, amazing attention to detail, sone fantastic performances, (Seth Rogen cashing his cheque had me howling and James Franco, WOW, he has the sprit of Tommy right there with him!). Absolutely great. I've never seen The Room, but that's my movie for tomorrow.

14. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Just came back from finally seeing it. I haven't seen The Room in many years, but I picked up my signed Blu-ray when Wiseau had one of his rare web sales a few years ago. Along with some branded underoos. I think Disaster Artist would play very well without having seen The Room first.

It gets off to a great start, and much of the first Act is really entertaining. I actually found it lost some steam when they get to LA and then start making The Room. And the crowd seemed to too, laughing a lot at the start but then mellowing as it goes along. And then not really picking up again until they show highlights from the film at the end for the premiere. But that may also be because there's some weighty stuff when they're trying to live the dream. Fact is they did fail. And not everyone fails gracefully. And sometimes that's just not funny. With that said it didn't seem gimmicky or exploitative. I was reluctant to see it because I thought there would just be "watch Franco film those iconic scenes and laugh!" but many of those touch points were used as the stage for drama (if that can be believed). So a nice balance. After all we already have The Room. So instead they do stick very closely with Greg and Tommy's relationship.

I'm tempted to see it again, which I rarely do theatrically. Depends if some friends want to. And Fathom is showing The Room in theaters Wednesday, January 10th, so I'm tempted to go see that. I haven't dared to watch it straight. Just Rifftrax and Rifftrax Live in the theater. Could be fun. Doubt there will be the RHPS participation with these showings.

Fully agree with this. Yes the script is awful. Yes most of the other acting is awful. And yes the production is uninspired (I wouldn't necessarily call it inept. Just directionless). But lots of bad student films can claim that. I know I've sat through my fair share. Wiseau's performance is what elevates it to where it's come. Nobody's making a bio pic about the Polonia brothers for example.