The Dorm That Dripped Blood: Snowbeat's Review

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by snowbeast323, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Dude you shouldn't be like that. Like Angelman said, yes it stings and it can be a little rough to take it in all at once, but you asked for critique and you got it. I wasn't being negative or trying to be mean, I just told you what I thought of the review and where you needed improvement. Your teacher who marks you would probably tell you much of what I told you.

And no, your papers aren't meant to be university level I understand that, but being 17 you're near the end of high school and I don't know whether you plan on going to a post-secondary institution after you graduate, but the criticism only gets more intense. I thought I was a great writer when I was in high school. I used to write papers the night before and pull off 90s. I tried that with my very first paper in university...I got a 62. For a while I felt the way you do right now, but it only got me to work harder on my papers and I'm able to get much higher grades now that I'm in my 3rd year (mind you, a 5-page paper now probably takes me like 7 or 8 hours to write - just the first draft too). Think of people who write for a living: Journalists, authors, scriptwriters, etc. They go through hours upon hours of editing and go through draft after draft because they have to correct their mistakes (almost no piece of writing is perfect the first time you do it). My point being, in order to become a better or even great writer, you HAVE to learn to accept criticism. When it's constructive criticism (like the criticism everyone here has given you) trust me, it makes you a better writer.

~Matt

2. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

Dude seriously the best writers, and I mean the BEST writers thirst for criticism of their work.
    You can't just put your stuff out there and only accept high fives.
    I think everyone who offered critique in this thread did so constructively and with good suggestions. I'd recommend you re-read the thread and take the response for what it actually is.

Or should we all have learned that 17 year old high school students get butt hurt way too easily and should be left alone? :p

3. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Most of these people on here are good folks. I wouldn't take they're comments to the heart. I myself had no problem reading your review. You do need to be prepared for criticism always. Just re-read the comments you have received. If you decide you don't like someones comments just ignore then. Sometimes the more attention you pay to them the more they keep trying to get your attention. I enjoyed your review imperfect and all it was good reading.

4. MrKateB

MrKateB Asshole Extraordinaire

That would deserve an "Annoyed" sinister owl (and yes, there were those too...)

This is kind of close to how I remember them looking, but the teacher did hers more stick figure-y, and I think sometimes she used punctuation marks for parts of its body or something clever like that...

And, may I add, this was HIGH SCHOOL???

Attached Files:

5. MrKateB

MrKateB Asshole Extraordinaire

btw--- Lil' Snowbeast, I'm sorry if you were put off by people's critiques, I'm sure they weren't intending any of it to hit you that way, but rather were trying to be helpful cause you asked...

If I may offer just one little "chestnut" to keep in the back of your mind throughout school and whatever--- I used to work as an assistant to someone who was/is a political consultant, and at one point was pretty high profile...HE told me that "EVERYONE needs an editor...no matter who they are"...

6. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

You're not joking here - I just had a paper published in a scientific journal. I don't remember exactly how many drafts there were at the end, but more than 30 easily. I spent four full days on the first draft of the introduction (which included reading the source material), which wasn't more than about 1000 words. The whole paper was around 3000 - 5000 words (don't remember that either right now). Luckily, we made it through with only two rounds of revisions in response to reviewer comments (the remaining drafts were due to co-author comments or our own edits prior to the first submission).

Writing requires a lot of hard work and a thick skin - it also helps if you can be your own worst critic.

7. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

wow, good job. what journal? what was the subject?

8. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

Thanks! It was a journal for pediatric ophthalmology, for a study of a rare perceptual disorder (sorry for being vague - I don't want to totally blow my internet cover/anonymity - I'd be happy to talk your ear off via pm if you want). It's really outside my field, but was a fun diversion (some papers in my supposed areas of expertise have gone 40-50 drafts, and submission to several journals before finally being published).

9. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

i was curious, i majored in biology, so i have an idea how much work goes into getting published in a peer reviewed journal.

10. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Heh, for a biology student, you really do have a love of film. :lol:

~Matt

11. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

you gotta have "enthusiasms", as DeNiro would say...

12. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Right after this post, Dave13 bashed a man's head in while wearing a tux.

13. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

....but kept the tux clean!