The Entity (1982) Blu-ray (7/3)

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Katatonia, May 1, 2012.

1. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I'll just hold onto the old disc. Companies are getting more and more unreliable when it comes to carrying over every feature from previous releases. Glad I didn't try to sell my old disc for a quick buck when this release was announced. Over the last few years I've made sure to wait for reviews on re-releases before I get rid of an old copy.

2. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

AB confirmed that these films will have extras:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=198109&page=2

See post #30. I asked a question on HalloweenMovies' Facebook page regarding if the Divimax extras will be ported over. Still waiting for a response.

Also, I don't know if folks know this, but the DVD will be re-released the same day as the Blu and it's a 50/50 safe bet the extras will be ported over.

3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Which will make AB look like bigger morons if they are all included on the DVD reissue. They can put them on the DVD, but not the Blu-ray? Idiots.

4. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Yeah I just cancelled my pre-order. I'll hold out until I find this dirt cheap, as in $5, and I'm not going to support their laziness. I'm sick of having to hold onto my old DVDs, don't have the room to own every movie two or three times.

5. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

LAME-O! I'm gonna cancel my pre-order as well. If Walmart or Target has it for under ten bucks then maybe I'll bite. Otherwise I'll just stick with my DVD copy.

Not even a pop up menu on that motherfucker? Shit.

6. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

It's got a haunting...and tits. Don't need more than that for me, I'll be buying it.

7. dickieduvet

dickieduvet Member

Fake tits, Really fake!!

8. Anthropophagus

Really!?! Never looked that closely. :eek1:

9. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

They probably didn't run wires under Barbara's skin. While moving breast implants may be all the rage in the future, they didn't have em back in '81.:D

They are convincing fakes, but fake nonetheless.:(

10. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I find it bizarre that some of you guys are canceling pre-orders and getting fumed about AB not porting over extras from the DVD. As long as the transfer looks good and is in the proper aspect ratio, who the fuck cares? If you care about the extras so much you most likely already have the DVD. And if you don't wait a few weeks and pick up the DVD for cheap. I am happy to hear that there is no spoiler-tastic menu that I have to see before the film.

11. Katatonia

Because maybe we don't all love keeping two copies of the movie on our shelves, ya think? :eek2: Seriously, how hard is it to port over their own old extras? How long would it take to create even a basic menu?

And we don't even know if the DVD reissue is going to include the old DVD extras. Anchor Bay will look like bigger fucking idiots if it does. Force the consumer to buy two versions? Wow, thanks!

I'm not cancelling my pre-order, since I love the movie and it will certainly look better in HD...but I still find it perplexing that anyone would come to Anchor Bay's defense in this debacle. They've done this shit on tons of Blu-ray releases before. It's just pathetic laziness.

12. Anthropophagus

Hadn't seen the film in quite a long time, but thanks-Yes, Virginia there is no Santa Claus. :cry:

13. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I would assume there is a cost associated with porting those SD extras over to a blu-ray. THE ENTITY is a cult title that probably isn't projected to sell a ton so I understand them wanting to control costs. Are we sure there aren't extra licensing costs for some of those extras as well. I refuse to beleive that AB is just being "lazy".

Having to hold onto an old disc for the extras seems like a minor annoyance that hardly justifies some the coimments I'm reading. If it's space issue, put the disc in a paper sleeve and tuck in the BD jewel case.

If the transfer is solid fans of THE ENTITY should be on their hands and knees thanking AB for releasing a title like it in HD.

14. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

It's a minor annoyance that becomes a huge annoyance when they do it with every title. Keeping two copies of one or two movies isn't a big deal, but when you have doubles or triples of 100 titles it becomes a big annoyance.

I doubt the licensing costs would have been that much for the doc. and trailer. Anchor Bay is a much bigger company then Blue Underground, Synapse, Shout Factory, ect. who all seem to have no problem including extras. Most of those companies not only go out of their way to include previous extras but they usually spend money to create all new ones. Anchor Bay continues to do this with their releases; License to Drive, Jack Brooks, Girl Next Door, The Lost, ect. were all missing extras, some of them not even having menus!

Even their new releases for Halloween 4 and 5 are missing extras, but at least they added some new content to show that some effort were put into them. Not including anything, not even a menu is just laziness, simple as that. They don't give a damn about their catalog titles any more, only their new Direct to DVD/ Blu dreck.

And where are all these releases that they have been supposedly working on, Dawn of the Dead Ultimate Edition, Demons 1 and 2, Phantasm, Re-Animator, ect.? How come there isn't an Ultimate Edition of Halloween with the TV cut included, have they given up milking that movie?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  15. ArrowBeach

ArrowBeach Active Member

Shout Factory had no issues porting over the old AB extras for the Fox titles that Shout put out that was once released by Anchor Bay (BAD DREAMS, DIRTY MARY CRAZY LARRY, etc), so it cant possibly be cost.

16. Katatonia

Exactly. I fail to see how "expensive" it would be to port over a few old SD extras. They couldn't even include just the trailer because of the cost? Give me a friggin' break.

And I don't buy that "it's a cult title" excuse either. It's not like all-new extras were produced. Is Anchor Bay a studio that incredibly poor, or strapped for cash? What are they now, Echo Bridge?

If cost was truly such an issue, why did they see it fit to completely redo the coverart then? That would cost more than porting over a few old measly extras. They could have just recycled the old artwork to save a buck.

Nope, Anchor Bay are just fucking lazy. This isn't the first time (or second, or third...) they've pulled this trick. It's just very sad what they've become as a studio.

17. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I'm gonna start dubbing the extras from the dvds, selling them, then get those blu-ray double-disc cases from Best Buy and put the dvd dub in with em, and transfer other blu-rays with just one disc to the case the BD comes in.:rolleyes:

But I shouldn't have to do this! It's annoying and costs extra.:fire:
    Anchor Bay is not the only offender though, to be fair.:eek1:

Fox/MGM and sometimes Lions Gate suck ass in this department as well! There plenty flicks I'd like to own on blu, but continue to wait for probable double-dips.
    Lord of War and Usual Suspects come right to mind. Image left the featurettes off People vs Larry Flynt too. It's a fucking epidemic really, but AB are the worst offenders because as much as other companies leave behind, they always at least have a fucking menu! I don't know if Anchor Bay more cheap or lazy, but definitely some of both.:mad:

So much sadder considering how awesome they were in the early days of dvd.:(

18. Katatonia

It just reeks of cheapness when they can't even add a simple menu. Anybody could easily pull out an authoring program and create a barebones menu in 5 minutes.

I don't care if the only option is "Play Movie" – it's still better than nothing at all.

19. startide

startide Member

My, how the mighty have fallen. The original AB Prom Night DVD has a great menu, esp. on the chapter selection page. Careful, considered, and worthwhile. Those were the days!

20. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Do they really have no menu? What happens when the film ends? Does it start from the very beginning or does it eject?