The Entity (1982) Blu-ray (7/3)

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Katatonia, May 1, 2012.

1. tropical marsh

tropical marsh Member

I read that it didn't have a pop up menu. But even if it doesn't have a menu when the disc starts up, I have plenty of discs like that (WB, anyone?). Anyway, I can't see how AB would skip both. They added ENG subtitles, so they must've added a screen to turn them on/off.

2. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Not necessarily. It could be selected by presing the Subtitles button on the Blu-Ray player's remote control.

3. tropical marsh

tropical marsh Member

No kidding. My point was, have you ever seen a blu-ray with optional ENG subtitles that didn't have a menu or a pop up menu? Yeah, me either.

4. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

You know I shouldn't be mad at Anchor Bay. They're not the only folks who left previous DVD extras off the Blu-ray releases. Examples; the Zombie UE didn't include the Shriek Show extras, the Spaceballs Blu-ray and the CE DVD left out a vintage featurette and a rare trailer, even the Star Wars Saga set left out all the DVD extras (except for the commentaries). Though yes, these examples did have extras (new and/or previous) but they left some stuff off too so should we be mad at Anchor Bay for doing the same thing that most companies do with their releases from time to time? Maybe. But companies are going to this time to time and we're gonna get angry and pissed off at that. And yeah, I would love for previous extras to be included in every release but that's not how the companies think it. Sounding childish here, but if I ran all the DVD companies in the world, I give you guys what you want.

5. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I seem to remember the Blu-rays from Anchor Bay with no Menu come up with a brief screen that gives you instructions (yes, instructions) on how to enable the English subtitles via your remote. Sure, they can take time for that...but a menu? Hell no.

Anchor Bay have released many Blu-ray titles without English subtitles included on the disc in the past...even when the old DVD edition did have them. I'm sure people who are hard-of-hearing just loved them for those examples.

And yeah, some studios leave off the old stills gallery or a theatrical trailer. But leave off EVERYTHING? Oh yeah, that's just brilliant marketing.

Anchor Bay will never have an ounce of respect from me again. When Starz took over, they turned 100% commercial. Back in the day, they actually listened to the customer and helped them when there was a problem.

Didn't somebody even contact AB to ask them to make sure they put the extras on the Blu-ray? I'm wondering what the response (if any) was...

6. Nailwraps

7. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Pre-ordered the dvd, looking forward to it. Can't say I'm really that concerned about menus and extras I'll watch once, if that.
    The movie itself is well worth it.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  8. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Wow! Those screens look even better than I expected :)

Ordered!

9. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i seen on facebook the rerelease dvd has the extras talk about lazy for not putting them on the blu

10. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

This isn't lazy, it's asinine at best! Fuck Starz for real, unacceptable HD treatment, and some bean counting asshole probably thinks some of us will buy both to get the fucking extras! Don't make them right or they'll keep doing it.

Who wants to start the petition for them to start doing real blu-rays? I'd only buy any of these (new term coining ahead) 'dissed discs' used, I will not support the company who doesn't support me. Extras on the dvd but not the fucking BD? It's bad enough for combo packs that have both (Fox), but for separate releases = greedy or incompetent fucking assholes.

11. Katatonia

Hell, they'll keep doing it anyway. Welcome to the new Anchor Bay. :fucked:

12. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i hope the halloween 4 and 5 transfers aren't botched.

13. Nailwraps

Why would they be? :/

14. Katatonia

In other news, The Entity has a full front cover display on the new Rue Morgue:

[​IMG]

Anchor Bay has a full page ad for the Blu-ray in the issue too. :lol:

I can see the reactions from those who've read the issue, and then go out to buy it: "Aww fuck, where's the menu and bonus features?!" :eek1:

15. Stige

Stige Active Member

diabolik has the features listed on the bluray? Have they not checked or is there a possibility?

Blu-Ray

Product Features:
    The Entity Files - a documentary about the true-life "Entity" case.
    DVD-ROM: Original Screenplay
    Trailer
    Poster & Still Gallery

16. Anthropophagus

A recent issue of Rue Morgue that may actually be interesting. I'm going to have to look into it. :)

17. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

I stopped reading Rue Morgue long ago but I'm gonna pick up that copy just to read the William Lustig interview. Maybe he'll shed some light on why his label is running on fumes these days.

18. Anthropophagus

I must say it looks like a great issue.

19. Katatonia

Got the Blu-ray today.... confirmed as having absolutely no menu and zero features of any kind. The movie just automatically plays.

And yup, a brief "instruction" plays before the film begins about how to enable the English subtitles.

And they even screwed up the aspect ratio displayed on the back cover. They show 1.85:1, where the movie has ALWAYS been a 2:35:1 film. The transfer is in the correct ratio, but they couldn't even get that right on the cover. It was even displayed correctly on the back cover of their old DVD! :rolleyes:

The transfer looks pretty good, but that's probably more due to Fox than Anchor Bay.

20. tropical marsh

tropical marsh Member

Finally watched this. Way more funny than scary. And I guess none of the nudity is actually Barbara Hershey. It was either a body double or some kind of fuckin' plastic mannequin. It's pretty obvious, too. When she's on the bed, it's her head and a mannequin. :cry: A shame really--doesn't even get any points for being sleazy...