The Eye (Merged)

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by dvdasia62, Jul 5, 2002.

1. dvdasia62

dvdasia62 Guest

"The Eye"

This film from our friends in Asia certainly sounds interesting:

DVDetails: THE EYE [DVD FORMAT ONLY]
    DVDetails: THIS DVD IS PLAYABLE IN ALL REGIONS ON NTSC EQUIPMENT

USD$17.95

LIST: $24.99
    YOU SAVE 28%! Availability: 1-2 Days - Usually ships within 1-2 business days.
    Film Director(s): Danny Pang, Oxide Pang
    Film Producer(s): Peter Ho-Sun Chan
    Released: 2002 [Hong Kong]
    Genre: Thriller
    Sub-Genre: Horror
    Keywords: Blindness, Hospital, Mystery, Thailand

Plot: At the age of two Mann went blind. Eighteen years later, a new and risky corneal transplant operation restores her vision; but a series of inexplicable events lead her to believe there is more than meets the eye to her new-found gift of sight...

Overview: At the age of two Mann went blind. Eighteen years later, a new and risky corneal transplant operation restores her vision; but a series of inexplicable events lead her to believe there is more than meets the eye to her new-found gift of sight. Mysterious black-clad figures seem to foreshadow sudden deaths, and horribly disfigured denizens haunt her everyday existence. Unable to define her own identity, she comes to understand that whenever she looks into a mirror she doesn't see herself but instead she sees another woman; Ling, the original owner of the corneas.
    These nightmarish visions are driving Mann insane. Desperate to uncover the truth, Mann visits Ling's old village in Northern Thailand. There she discovers that Ling was clairvoyant, but Ling's inability to save the villagers from a fire that she predicted sent her into a deep depression. Overcome with sorrow and regret, she ultimately committed suicide. Now it seems that Mann has inherited Ling's fate and the misery that comes with the ability to see more than one wants to see.

Just as she is about to leave Thailand, the black-clad harbingers of death return, only this time there are hundreds of them. Tragedy is about to strike again and only Mann can stop it. Is her fate predetermined or does she have the courage and the strength to change the future?

Cast: Angelica Lee (Sin Je), Lawrence Chow, So Yut Lai, Candy Lo Hau-Yam, Ko Yin Ping, Edmond Chen, Ben Yuen, Winson Yip, Chutcha Rujihanon, Pierre Png, Wang Sue Yuen

Running Time: 98 mins.
    Language(s): Cantonese, Mandarin
    Subtitles: ENGLISH, Chinese
    Distributor: Panorama Entertainment [A Hong Kong-Based Distributor]

Rating: UN - "Unrated. This film has not been rated by the review board."

Features: Letterboxed; DTS Digital Surround

I think I'm intrigued enough to order this one! :)

2. dlundh

dlundh Guest

Moderator's note; dlundh, please review the Forum Rules. First rule of **********.*** is we do NOT talk about **********.***. Thank you. :)

Hyde

The rest of dlundh's original post...
    I ordered mine from dddhouse just so I wouldn't miss out on any good stuff. :)

3. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

Cruise's production company to remake "The Eye"?

From ScreenDaily.Com......

Danny and Oxide Pang's chiller The Eye could be the next Asian picture lined up for Hollywood remake treatment.

Under a deal brokered by Roy Lee of Vertigo Entertainment, remake rights are to be acquired by Tom Cruise and Paula Wagner's Cruise/Wagner company with a view to the film being made at a studio. Cruise/Wagner has an ongoing relationship with Paramount Pictures, but no deal has yet been signed with Paramount or any other studio.

The film co-produced by Hong Kong's Applause Pictures and Singapore's Raintree Pictures and sold by Fortissimo Film Sales is a psychological horror picture about a woman who sight is restored by an operation. Following the surgery she starts to see more than she should.

Lee, whose track record includes half a dozen remakes of Asian films, is also warming up Korean action-drama No Blood No Tears, sold internationally by Cinema Service. Lee has commissioned a writer and the film will be pitched to studios on completion of a re-tuned screenplay.

Vertigo, which has a first-look deal with Miramax, has set up remakes of Korean films My Wife Is A Gangster at Miramax, My Sassy Girl at Dreamworks and Il Mare at Warner Bros.

"My objective is only remake films with a wide commercial potential, those capable of being handled through the studio system," said Lee. Speaking at the Puchon International Festival of Fantastic Film (PiFan), he deflected criticism of the remake process and said: "The people I deal with here in Asia are happy to see their ideas reach a wider audience."

4. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

Great, Hollywood sets off to ruin yet another good film. Could someone PUH-LEEZ come up with an original idea? Really, is that too much to ask?

5. dvdasia62

dvdasia62 Guest

I agree with you Killer all the way! What surprises me though when I cruise other forums is just how many people don't have a problem with remakes or hollywood's lack of originality at all!

6. Reverenddave

Reverenddave New Member

I think it's great that Hollywood is remaking Asian horror films like "Ring" and "The Eye". Here's why:

Reason #1 - It will help raise awareness of how good Asian horror films have been in recent years. When "Vanilla Sky" was being promoted in the US, I decided to check out the original movie "Open Your Eyes". I enjoyed it so much that I tried other Spanish genre films like "Thesis" and "The Nameless". Since then I've bought over a dozen Spanish films on DVD, and I'm constantly looking for more. Every single review of the Hollywood version of "Ring" will mention that it's a remake of the Japanese film. Hopefully, people will be curious enough to view the original trilogy and continue on to other Asian horror movies.

Reason #2 - It will bring alot of money to the Asian studios. This should encourage them to produce additional intelligent horror movies and put more money into them. It may also help Asian genre films get US distribution deals, resulting in even more money.

So in my opinion, this is a good thing.

7. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

why remake the films? why not just bring the originals over to the US and show them instead.

8. Reverenddave

Reverenddave New Member

Probably because mainstream theaters won't play them and audiences won't go to see them.

According to IMDB:

Open Your Eyes made $368,234 in the USA.
    Vanilla Sky made over $100 Million in the USA.

9. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Haven't seen THE EYE, know nothing about it. Help!

So many people speak about that film.
    What's it all about (if you can be so kind)?

10. dvdasia62

dvdasia62 Guest

A young Woman who has been blind since age 2, undergoes a cornea transplant which will allow her to regain her sight but she gets more then she bargained for! He,He,He,He! GET THIS FILM!!! :)

11. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

12. KillerCannabis

The Eye set to be remade in US

I just read at the Creature Corner that the rights to the Pang brothers "The Eye" have been sold to Tom Cruise's production company. I sure hope they find a director to do it right since most remakes here in the US turn out to amount to shit.

13. 2D4EVER

2D4EVER Guest

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST! Another fucking remake. God damn Hollywood motherfuckers. This is really starting to piss me the fuck off now.

Later all...

14. dvdasia62

dvdasia62 Guest

I don't know what to think with all these remakes but this one has pretty much been known and out there for a few months now.

15. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

16. Zombie Keeper

Zombie Keeper New Member

This is sooooo sad. No way they will top the original!

17. LJMurder

LJMurder Guest

it's true, almost all the american remakes of any movie suck a lot. still waiting to see the original of insomnia though.

18. KillerCannabis

Shit, if anyone ever needed proof of how big a stoner I really am, here it is. Thanks for reminding me DVDCon, I need a wake up every now and then.

19. Reverenddave

Reverenddave New Member

THE EYE to be released by Lions Gate

I just got the latest issue of Video Store Magazine (Jan. 19-25, 2003), and there's some news on upcoming releases from Lions Gate Home Entertainment.

SEX AND LUCIA - Erotic film from Spain (March 25)
    THE BELIEVER - About a young Jewish man who becomes an anti-Semite (April 22)
    FULL TIME KILLER - Hong Kong action film
    THE LAST MINUTE - Directed by BLADE's Stephen Norrington
    THE EYE - Supernatural Thriller from Hong Kong
    THE SEA
    CREMASTER 3

20. Wermode

Wermode New Member

That's great news. Any details?