The Eye (Merged)

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by dvdasia62, Jul 5, 2002.

1. Wermode

Wermode New Member

...about The Eye, I mean.

2. skinnypuppy

skinnypuppy New Member

The eye is such a cheesy movie. I just saw a special presentation of this that rue morgue held and it seriously was very cheesy. why is this movie so popular??? it has like 3 scary parts and that is it. and the ending.....CG fire is not cool...hahaha:lol:

3. dvdasia62

dvdasia62 Guest

Whatever!

4. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

I second that, I love this movie. Already have the R0 tho, so I probably wont get the new one

5. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

I dunno, I'm not very excited to see this yet. This will probably be one of those that I put off for years and finally wonder why.

6. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

THE EYE is simply one of the best horror's to come out in a long time. There is nothing cheesy about it.

7. nofxafi

nofxafi Guest

Great flik!! And since someone mentioned the cgi fire, one of the coolest shots in any movie of recent memory is when the camera follows the fire/explosion thru the rat hole.

Man, this movie really had some creepy scenes......

8. Put me down for "loving this movie" as well.

The Region 0 DVD has a kick-ass DTS track and a good transfer and I paid something like $15! I don't see a need to re-purchase this title.

9. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

Sweet. Glad to see that its getting a R1 release, although who wants to bet it gets lame cover art just like the R1 edition of Ringu.

10. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

You guy's are just going over the top with Ringu.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2003
  11. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

What's Rungu?

:banana:

Ringu was cool and all, but wasn't as great as everyone hyped it up to be. The Ring on the other hand got me all hot and bothered, what a great fucking horror flick that was!

12. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I hope that when I finally get to see this, I won't be disapointed. It seems so overhyped!! I am glad it will get an American release, that way I can rent it. Yumyumanime has an HK dvd, but I don't want to blow the funds on films I haven't seen anymore!!

13. The Eye

Just saw the Pang Brothers' "The Eye" and was really impressed. Very stylish and creepy, it has a great story and some excellent acting, especially from the lead. I especially found the schoolboy looking for his report card particularly disturbing. I know that they are planning a US remake but I can't see them topping this. Has anyone else seen it?

14. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

I too loved The Eye. I managed to score a copy of the R0 PAL edition. Great film. I dont know how the US remake will stack up against it, but at least the original is getting a DVD release here too.

15. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Member

Very good - one of the best recent horror films. It has two or three very scary sequences, a sympathetic lead and a moving climax.

16. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

I simply love this movie, the elevator scene alone is one of my creepiest and favorite horror scenes ever:nervous:

17. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

Guys, I'm merging threads as this is a very popular and much discussed film.....

18. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Member

Just to address the topic of remakes - reverenddave nailed it with his figures on Vanilla Sky/Open Your Eyes:

Open Your Eyes made $368,234 in the USA.
    Vanilla Sky made over $100 Million in the USA.

Hollywood only wants to make money and any foreign movie has very little chance of hitting the jackpot. Most people will simply not watch them and most cinemas won't book them.

Remakes of foreign films certainly show a lack of faith in new ideas but they are not all bad: the "Insomnia" remake was the equal of the original. What I hate is how a remake gets a lot of credit that is completely undeserved. "Vanilla Sky" is a perfect example. Here we have a movie directed by one of Hollywood's "top" directors, starring its top male star and what do we get? An almost scene-for-scene remake that adds almost nothing to the original. The movie is not bad and made a fortune but Crowe and Cruise do not deserve any credit because they lifted everything in their film from Amenabar's original. Instead they demonstrated a woeful lack of imagination.

And don't even get me started on "Swept Away"!:cry:

19. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I just finished watching The Eye. All I have to say is wow. I'm thoroughly impressed by this movie. The story is strangley sympathetic, yet creepy at the same time. I'm curious to see the American remake, but I cannot imagine what it could possibly bring to the table that could improve this in any way. I'm not calling this a perfect film, but it gets my vote as one of the better Asian horror films in the last couple of years. And I gotta agree with aoiookami, that elevator scene is quite frightening.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2003
  20. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

You guys are going to love this. Yahoo Japan's lead news story today was that the Japanese production company that is releasing THE EYE in Japan has discovered two real ghosts in the film. One is a baby and the other and eldery woman. They did not state what scences they were able to locate these vile creatures in.

There was a similar story years ago with Poltergiest. A supposed ghost was in a shower during one scence. I saw some special on it in Japan and I have to say it was creepy. I'll try to find out what scenes these ghosts are in and update this posting when I do.

The Japanese love shit like this so expect a good box office.