The Eye (Merged)

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by dvdasia62, Jul 5, 2002.

1. slinker

slinker Un-Holy Force.

Cool, i love stuff like this ....keep us posted man! ;)

2. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

My cynical side still has flashbacks to the supposed ghost in Three Men and a Baby. Turned out to be a cardboard standee of Ted Danson........

3. Wermode

Wermode New Member

A discovery of "real ghosts" would indeed be something to celebrate, worth a cool $1 million from www.randi.com. ;-)

So far every time a ghost has been "seen" on film, it has been just as easily been explained as a visual effect or artifact. No one has ever been able to prove the existence of ghosts. A little critical thinking goes a long way here, especially in light of studio publicity stunts and the potential draw of a gullible public.

4. Wermode

Wermode New Member

5. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

Ah yes, the infamous James Randi, born in Canada as Randall James Zwinge. This guy's motives are even more suspect then the CIA's.

6. Wermode

Wermode New Member

Yeah, exposing frauds (like Geller) and protecting people from charlatans (like Popoff) is certainly suspect. But to get back to the original post before the superstitious bullshit came into the thread...

The Eye shows up as cheap from several Ebay sellers. Are these boots, and/or has anybody checked them out?

7. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

You're best ordering from somewhere like www.dddhouse.com - their titles are cheap as chips and all original....recommended.

8. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Member

Please explain

9. suspiria

suspiria Guest

10. blairmonster

blairmonster Guest

I actually preferred "Vanilla Sky" to "Open Your Eyes"...maybe that's just because I'm a huge Cameron Crowe fan. Agreed it was almost scene-for-scene identical...but for some reason I still liked it better. Anyone else second this?

11. slinker

slinker Un-Holy Force.

I do second that blairmonster, i enjoyed `Vanilla Sky` more than `Open Your Eyes` definately! ;)

12. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

13. suspiria

suspiria Guest

i cant understand how one can prefer the remake.. honest.. the original doesn't attempt to answer most questions.. its vague and thats what works more so imho...

14. The Eye

Wow. I have just seen this film, and it's REALLY horrifying. It's a movie that got to scare the hell outta me, and that's only happened twice before (Ringu, and The Blair Witch Project). I saw it in the Special Edition DVD including DTS sound, and it was amazing. If you haven't seen this one, go and get it, you won't regret it.

15. apl

apl Guest

I really didn't enjoy The Eye. Without spoiling it...the first quarter was pretty scary, but it quickly became uniteresting. They really pushed the "solve the mystery" edge that just wasn't necessary...there was nothing to solve! It also suffered from too many endings. I rarely find myself checking my watch at the movies, but I was ready to go home half way through this one. Recommened only for asian horror freaks. Thanks, apl

16. ScarredGod

ScarredGod Guest

i just saw The Eye today at a screening in Pittsburgh. i thought it was great. some really creepy scenes and nice use of music.

but im curious, when you watch these asian horror films now, whether you already know a remake is coming or just assume one is, are you constantly thinking about what the US version will change, or pull back on? for example, i doubt there will be a schoolbus of kids stuck in the traffic at the end. the report card kid may even be pushing it. tom cruise producing a film with children frying, ill believe it when i see it, maybe the lead character will hop in the bus and drive it to safety, perhaps sandra bullock will star.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2003
  17. marioscido

marioscido New Member

I have just returned from a sold-out screening of "The Eye" at the Fantasia Festival and I was hugely disappointed. The film is not scary, it has a very predictable script (with many holes), and clumsy direction (someone earlier called it cheesy...).

The film has no substance whatsoever! Stay home and watch "Mad Love" (1935) or "The Hands of Orlac" (1960) instead. Focusing on hands instead of eyes, the premise that someone else's body parts make you do (or see) things is much more compelling in these earlier films.

I really don't see why this film is so popular. I think it's because there is an Asian horror mania that is blurring people's critical sensibilities.

18. Erg0n

Erg0n My Baby Picture

In a House that's Up My Butt In A Cellar, Canada
    I caught the screening as well and actually enjoyed it. Although, it was hard to ignore the relation it had with sixth sense.

I didn't expect it would be sold out

19. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I heard that the Lions Gate DVD is missing the original opening of THE EYE?

Can somebody confirm this or fill me in what's missing?

20. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

I second that Hellbilly, does anyone know about the missing openning? Also, did anyone find the "ghost scenes"?