The Final Terror

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by rhett, Jun 2, 2002.

1. rhett

rhett Administrator

What did you guys think of this? I thought it was decent, but somewhat of a missed opportunity. The killer was pretty cool, and it was good to see ultra-hottie Darryl Hannah before she hit it big, but there were still some problems. First off, Hannah has maybe 5 words in the entire film, which makes her presence ultimately useless. Secondly, the editing is poorly done, as many scenes come across as lost and confusing. Other than a few shots of a dead coyote there is no real gore in the film, which is another missed opportunity. The VHS I saw was also extremely dark the last half hour. It was good, but not nearly in the same league as other camp slashers like Friday the 13th, The Burning, Madman, etc.

2. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

I used to watch The Final Terror all the time. I'm not going to say it's great or anything but I do still enjoy watching it once in awhile. Did you notice the director had an obvious fascination with restaurant sized cans of cling peaches?
    Some of my favorite parts are when they discover the hags dilapitated shack,pretty creepy. Also I liked the trap scene at the end and the whole forest setting. You can tell the movie's set is truly deep into the forest, not just a few steps like alot of back woods slashers. So,like in The Burning there is a genuine feel of seclusion.
    The old Vestron tape does have an overly dark transfer which gets even worse twords the end of the film.
    Anchor Bay used to have this on their "in the future" list. But unfortunately it mysteriously vanished. Too bad too, I'd love to see what the scenery would look like cleaned up & with proper contrast/colors.
    You know,a few parts of this film (the shack scene especially)remind me alot of another 80's guilty pleasure...Don't Go In The Woods.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2002
  3. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

rhett, you forgot about Rachel Ward!:D I bet she's real proud of Night School & The Final Terror. It's a shame that AB didn't release this decent slasher.:(

4. rhett

rhett Administrator

Rachel Ward was a sight for sore eyes in that movie.

But seriously, the entire cast is wasted in the movie! There is hardly any dialogue from any of the actors. Davis was much more interested in atmosphere it seems, but at least the film succeeds in that respect. The shots of the woods were very well done, and really setup the story.

That gore shot with the tin can lids was notable too!

5. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

Yeah, tin can lids...from restaurant sized cans of cling peaches maybe?

6. Rock

Rock Member

I've seen better and I've certainly seen worse...but that title just plain sucks! Can't help but feel that the movie would've done better under its original title: THE CAMP SITE MASSACRE (even if it wasn't much of a massacre).

7. rhett

rhett Administrator

yeah, that definitely would have been a better title.

8. swamptours

swamptours Guest

This is a movie a remember watching as a kid of about twelve or so. It was about the scariest thing I had ever seen. I haven't seen it in years but I would love to see it again even though I'm sure it won't have the same impact on me as it did years ago.

9. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Hmmmm. Haven't seen that one in a while. It wasn't really a fave of mine but a fun time waster. I remember renting/watching "The Final Terror" and "The Prey" the same night.

Good times.

10. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

I want a Final Terror DVD, dammit!:D I wonder who owns the rights...

11. rhett

rhett Administrator

Isn't it still in flux with Anchor Bay? Someone should have asked them at the chat...

12. Justin Kerswell

Justin Kerswell New Member

Well, if Bill Lustig's recent interview is another to go by it looks like AB are going down the shitter! I hope Bill gets the rights to PROM NIGHT and puts out a better transfer (or a SE!), otherwise it might vanish for good. :-[

13. onebyone

onebyone Guest

:lol: Who wouldn't notice that? You really nailed the director's number one kink right there. I guess it takes all kinds.

I like this movie pretty well, but of course, cheesy not good slashers are my area of expertise so I would. I too was sad when this dropped from AB's upcoming list.

14. speanroc

speanroc I WANNA BAN

just won the the japanese prerecord of this on e-bay for 8 bucks , never seen it , like onebyone ,cheesy no good slashers are also my cup of tea

15. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Wasn't this directed by Andrew Davis of The Fugitive fame? I enjoyed it back in the day...would certainly buy the DVD.

16. Tuzotonic

Tuzotonic Guest

I remember seeing this as a kid back when USA showed horror movies all the time (remember those days?) Anyway I remember not being too impressed with this movie but now that I'm older I want to give it another chance. Even if it is dumb and boring the fact that Rachel Ward and Daryl Hannah are in it will probably be enough to keep me entertained.

17. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

For those wanting to see this film on the big screen, the drive-in in Georgetown, IN (just north of Louisville, KY) will be playing it this upcoming Sunday night.
    http://www.georgetowndrivein.com/

I've never seen it myself, but I think I'll have to drive out there as it's always a joy seeing 80s slashers on the big screen! :D

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  18. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I'd love to see it on the big screen, but that's a far drive. If it would only get a good DVD release, I'd be most happy! :eek2:

19. Devo1313

Devo1313 New Member

The Final Terror is already on DVD. I have it by itself and also on one of those EastWest DVds for $1 so there at 2 different DVD releases.

20. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yeah, I know it's on DVD. I have the old DVD from Trinity...and the transfer is worse than a VHS tape. I hope it gets a worthy DVD release.