The Funhouse (1981) Vs. Hell Night (1981)

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Hellbilly, Sep 12, 2011.

?

vote

1. The Funhouse

42.0%
  2. Hell Night

58.0%
  1. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

[​IMG] VS [​IMG]

Both share a somewhat similar plot and both are sort of underrated and highly regarded by genre and Slasher fans. Which one is your favorite?

2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I enjoy both, but The Funhouse easily wins.

3. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Member

I like them both, but the edge goes to The Funhouse. Hell Night is just too sluggish overall, and the killer is kinda stupid looking.

4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

<--- LOL, I forgot that my avatar was actually from The Funhouse until I just posted that.

5. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I love both, but Hell Night is more fastpaced and has a more spirited finale. And The Funhouse has that very long stretch with the kids just enjoying the carneval.

Of course, Hell Night doesn't have an aging fortune teller selling pleasures of a sexual nature to a hideous freak, but it still gets my vote.

6. Copyboy

Copyboy Member

The first time I saw The Funhouse the ridiculous unmasking ruined it for me. It's grown on me over the years but the killer just isn't that scary. He's a big, dumb lug who I kind of feel sorry for. Hell Night is creepier and so much more fun. Plus it has Vince Van Patten's kick-ass girly man scream!

7. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

Funhouse grew on me, but Hell Night is much better!

8. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Tell that to my sister. Watching the Blu-ray yesterday she let out a scream when he was unmasked. Still effective after 30 years :D
    Personally I think they did a great job with the Killer's face.

9. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

The Funhouse. The film oozes with atmosphere and I really like the creature design. Easily Tobe's best film after the TCM.

10. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Oh man, very tough. Hmmm. I'm gonna give it to Hell Night as it has a slight edge on creepiness and kills. I love Funhouse, but Hell Night is a cooler story and setting.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  11. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I like them both, but strangely I don't have either one in my collection. Hmm. That will have to be rectified at some point. I'll have to go with The Funhouse because it's sleezier.

12. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Active Member

Hell Night for me, although I really like Funhouse too. I saw both of them in the theater when they first came out, and Hell Night was a much scarier film. If you get a chance , read the movie tie in by Dean Koontz(originally published as Owen West). It is a much sleazier, much scarier treatment of the Funhouse story. The movie would have been way better if it was more like this novel.

13. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

i only recently saw the funhouse, while its been about 10 years since i've seen hell night, so it's difficult to compare. i enjoyed funhouse quite a bit, but ultimately, not as much as i thought i would going into it. on the other hand, i wasn't expecting much from hell night when i saw it for the first time years and years ago, but ended up really enjoying it. based on that alone, i think i'll go for hell night. i thought it was a surprisingly good entry into the 80's slasher genre, while the funhouse feels somewhat incomplete. apparently there were lots of problems in the filming of it, and maybe that's why it feels that way.

14. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Hell Night is an all time favorite, I love the blend of slasher and haunted house theme. The edge goes to Hell Night, even though I love The Funhouse too, even read the book.

15. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

These are both in the pile of flicks I need to watch again. I'll run them back to back and place my vote later this week.

16. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Hell Night for me. I really don't care for The Funhouse at all.

17. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Hell Night wins this one on three big reasons:

1. Costumes. By having the characters in various costumes for the party, there's a minimum of contemporary styles that usually tend to severely date films from this era.

2. Cinematography. Hell Night just LOOKS gorgeous, with the settings and the minimal lighting scheme (granted, The Funhouse takes place at a sleazy low-rent carnival, and it looks like one. In other words, the grimy look of the film is quite intentional). But watch Hell Night, in particular, the scene early on where a sudden gust of wind through the windows blows out all the candles where Linda Blair is. She's bathed in a soft blue light, and the scene is utterly beautiful.

3. The story of Garth Manor, as told by Kevin Brophy. It really sets the tone of the film, and while cliched, is still an effective campfire story. All the frat guys and sorority girls holding torches while walking across the grounds of Garth Manor adds to the atmosphere.

I guess I could save reasons #4 and #5 for Linda Blair's outfit.....

18. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Really enjoy both, but I prefer the haunted house setting in Hell Night over the carnival in The Funhouse. I will probably watch both during my Halloween marathon next month.

19. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Voted for The Funhouse but I enjoy Hell Night just as much.
    Anybody else love the music by John Beal in The Funhouse? It really stands out in such a good way. Amazing score.

20. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

"The Funhouse" for me. I have fond memories of seeing "Hell Night" as a teen but "The Funhouse" just holds up better for me - probably the creepy carnival atmosphere and the great score as Hellbilly mentions. But I'd gladly sit and watch either or both.