The Funhouse (1981) Vs. Hell Night (1981)

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Hellbilly, Sep 12, 2011.

?

vote

1. The Funhouse

42.0%
  2. Hell Night

58.0%
  1. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Seriously. It's like choosing between missionary or doggy style. Sure, you might like one more than the other, but they're both highly desired options.

2. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I really liked The Funhouse so it gets my vote. Hell Night was good too though.

3. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

I like them both, but Hell Night edges out on top for me. The best part of The Funhouse is actually all the stuff before the standard slashing and killing begin. It's obviously what interested Hooper and he films all of it extremely well. Hell Night builds it's story better and has a more satisfying climax. Plus, as others have mentioned, Linda Blair looks really good in her costume.

4. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I'm going with Hell Night. The gothic house is a great setting. And they really make the most of it. I'd put the cinematography right up there with the best of the slasher genre. And I think the throwback haunted house and ten little indians elements give it an interesting and fun vibe.

I enjoy The Funhouse too--but not nearly as much. The characters are really nondescript. And the creature design doesn't work for me at all. The killer's face is so rigid and unexpressive that it looks like a cheap mask. I always find myself wishing they went with an ordinary carny villain. Hooper does such a good job establishing sleazy carny atmosphere that I think the film would have worked much better that way. There are numerous creepy, unsettling characters hanging around in that film. Why'd they feel the need to go so over-the-top with the killer?

5. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

The Funhouse is one of the most atmospheric 80s slashers out there.

6. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Tough call as I quite like them both.I'll give the edge to THE FUNHOUSE on three counts.One,I think Hooper catches the sleazy flash of the carnival very well.Two,John Beal turns in a terrific score.Three,I've always been a fan of the underrated Elizabeth Berredge.She's not your typical final girl.She's got range,check her out in this and then look for her in AMADEUS or an episode of the old John Larroquette Show,very different,hard to tell it's the same actress.

7. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I like them both, but The Funhouse gets my vote. Hell Night can be a bit slow at times.

I just read the Dean Koontz novel of The Funhouse again not too long ago. It has some notable differences, but was actually conceived as a novel from the film's screenplay by Larry Block.

8. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Same here. Not to mention she's easy on the eyes.

9. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Hell Night. It's easily the more fun of the two. And there's just no scene in Funhouse that can match the opening or ending of Hell Night. I think it might have been here that I even read someone interpreting the ending as a reverse Friday the 13th- where you're meant to expect the killer to jump Linda Blair during the calming music sequence.

10. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Just an added note, both of these are streaming on netflix.

11. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

I like both these films as well, but I like Hell Night just abit more.

12. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Definitely Hell Night. It is an October staple in my house, I watch it every year and it never gets boring. It's a little slower paced then other slashers from that era, and the kills aren't great, but it more then makes up for it with its' atmosphere, great characters, and Halloween charm. I love all the costumes and pranks and what not. Cooler looking monsters as well.

I remember being extremely disappointed with The Funhouse. May have to give it another viewing this October. The trailer and cover make it seem a lot cooler then it is. It starts out strong with the ride in the carnival and then turns into an Elephant Man story where you more feel sorry for the monster. He is not very frightening, and if I remember correctly the scares and gore are non existent. I remember it feeling more like a Saturday morning drama then a horror film.

13. DVD-fanatic-9

Agreed, Spawning. Plus, the scenes of the kid brother aimlessly walking around the carnival at night lead to absolutely nothing.

14. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

Anyone else see Dark Ride? Cause it reminds me so much of Funhouse.

15. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Dark Ride was one of the better "throwback" slashers of the last decade.

16. unclefred

unclefred New Member

Funhouse. Hell Night is just another Scooby Doo film.

17. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I loved the FUNHOUSE - remember seeing the freaky TV spot a week before it was released (the one with Buzz and Amy in a funhouse that is not the one in the movie. It ends with the close up of the mouth opening as featured on the one sheet poster). I read the book and eventually had to wait until 1982 to see the movie when it was on Showtime. I was a little disappointed because the book was pretty detailed and scary. I also hate films that make you feel sympathy for the monster - I want to be scared of this insane being...I don't want to feel sorry for it!!!!! The one thing that kept me watching the film over and over was that crazed ending when Amy is on her own and ends up in the control room with the beast. I love all the noise, music and screaming in that last part.
    I saw HELL NIGHT at a packed theater on Sunday night the weekend it came out. That was one of the funnest experiences as the audience screamed, cheered and had a generally crazy time. I loved the final showdown with Marti and the beastie. It was September when this came out and it was the first week of school, the air was already chilly out and I remember thinking how "Halloween-ish" the movie was but it also reminded me of the Hammer films I had watched on TV.
    So, the movie that took a while to warm to or the immediate thrill ride that featured one of the best cinema experiences of my life...I hate to choose between these two, but:

HELL NIGHT. :D

18. DVD-fanatic-9

Just another; how many others are there?

19. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

Hell Night is one of my favorite slashers, and honestly I don't really care for The Funhouse. I gave it a try a while back and I just couldn't get into it.

20. DVD-fanatic-9

I gave Funhouse 2 tries. Once on VHS when I was a teenager and once a few months ago in my late 20's. Time hasn't changed a thing- it's still an underwhelming movie.