The Funhouse (1981) Vs. Hell Night (1981)

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Hellbilly, Sep 12, 2011.

?

vote

1. The Funhouse

42.0%
  2. Hell Night

58.0%
  1. Chad

Chad Member

Definitely Hell Night. The Funhouse was missing something ...fun.

2. unclefred

unclefred New Member

If anyone hasn't seen Hell Night, Abehorror has it for view on his Youtube account.

3. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

just found a copy of hell night for only $8 at a 2nd hand store. great to finally have a copy of this again. perfect timing, great way to start off the month of october.

4. Madman

Madman New Member

Hell Night, for me. The Funhouse is alright, but I've nearly fallen asleep every time I've popped it in. For some reason, I can't really consider it a slasher film. I'm actually not sure why so many people do. It seems to be missing many of the elements that the genre requires. If I had to put it in a genre, I'd just call it a monster movie. The beginning is the only part that seems like a slasher to me. Anyone else feel this way? =\

5. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

Nah, I still consider The Funhouse a slasher. Human-like killer kills a bunch of people one-by-one...

6. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Hey, I gave up on asking people to stop calling A Nightmare on Elm Street a slasher film a long time ago. You won't have any more luck with The Funhouse.

7. MacabreFilms

MacabreFilms New Member

I think Hell Night has aged remarkably well. I consider it to be one of the more stellar of the Halloween rip offs. They actually sort of got the formula right. The actors and characters are surprisingly likable and fun, the atmosphere is off the charts, and it has one of the best slasher film scores of all time (why has it never been released on CD????)

The last 20/30 minutes are freakishly scary and suspenseful. I can't even count the amount of times I was either on the edge of my seat or jumping out of it. I'd say that's pretty good for a horror movie. Wish I could have seen this in the theater back in the day. I bet the audiences were eating it up. Kinda surprised it wasn't a bigger hit than it was. I mean, it did pretty good box office, but it doesn't seem as fondly remembered as lots of other, quite frankly, lesser slashers.

The Funhouse is okey dokey, but it never did that much for me. The atmosphere and music score are great, but it's just nothing to write home about. It's been a long time since I saw it. Should probably give it another look soon.

8. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Hell Night only by 1 pussy hair very close call.

9. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

HEYYYY.... you fucking copycat!

Hell Night for me, too.

10. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11. startide

startide Member

Never even made it through Hell Night, so The Funhouse for me. Hell, I didn't even see it on DVD, so it would have been some god awful P&S job.

12. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

How the HELL did you not make it through Hell Night? Man, it's one of the best for sure. It builds and builds and has such a great atmosphere. The chase scene? Fuck. I want no slasher film on blu-ray more than Hell Night. Like wtf what's taking them so long? I honestly thought Arrow was gonna announce it for Sept.

~Matt

13. Vance Vandy

Vance Vandy Member

The Funhouse. One of my favorites from Hooper. Hell Night is a middle of the road slasher for me, I can take or leave it.

14. startide

startide Member

TBH, I don't know. It was on DVD and everything! Love the setting, the mansion, Linda Blair's boobs, the costumes, and yet I couldn't make it through, and I did get to a good hour or so in, so I really don't know.

Honestly, I was tired and it did remind me a lot of Madman, strangely enough, but you know, never say never I guess.

If it helps, I hated MBV on my first viewing too. I tracked down the uncut BD of that and even bought the DVD initially despite my initial VHS viewing of yet another run of the mill slasher because I was determined to give it another go.

I've only seen The Funhouse once, although I'm determined to see it again. Like watching Halloween in widescreen for the first time, I'm sure it will be a revelation too.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  15. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

I would go with funhouse, but not by much. The funhouse would have been better with a little more nudity. and 4 mins shorter, and a little more bloodshed..

16. burieddeep

burieddeep Dr. Obrero

I enjoyed The Funhouse a lot but Hell Night just comes out ahead.

17. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

Hell Night is one of those films that just take me back to the 80's every time I watch it. I like The Funhouse but it just doesn't come together like Hell Night does.

18. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

Own both, love both, saw The Funhouse when it was originally released at the theaters, and I voted for Funhouse.