The Ghoul

Discussion in 'Classic' started by dwatts, Aug 2, 2004.

1. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Hm - couldn't find any posts about this one. Karloff playing a madman (as opposed to a mad doctor) for once. The DVD from MGM looks amazing, with only minor issues where, I assume, the reel changes occured. Other than that, it puts a lot of films from the time to shame (how come this can look as good, but Universal's Frankenstein can't?)

Anyway, sadly I reckon this is a lesser effort. The story is long for the time (1:20) and it drags, especially at the beginning, where we get a long sequence of Karloff laying in bed. Then the other elements don't gel. Some strange bits of plot get blown off in single lines, from characters who are not in the rest of the film. For instance, was Karloff dead, or not? (I know the answer, but the way it is handled in the film is poor).

Aside from that, the romantic angle doesn't really spark, and the humor falls flat. It might have worked better on the stage - as a film, it's a bunch of good ideas that don't quite make it. Oh well - it's a good old black and white effort, and Karloff is good. I wouldn't say this was "Recommended" as in - "Go get it right now". But for classics fans, it should be somewhere on your "to buy" list.

2. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Member

3. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Sorry man, I did a search, but nothing turned up :(

4. Jimbo

Jimbo The Bloodstained Shadow

I Like the movie,But upon another viewing i think the transpher was what got me.Has anyone got Island monster/The Fear Chamber yet??