The Green Inferno - New Cannibal Flick From Eli Roth

Discussion in 'General' started by zombi3, Oct 26, 2012.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

^ I find it incredibly depressing that some garbage found-footage horror movie where a kid raps a recap of the movie over the end credits made nearly double in its third week what The Green Inferno made in it's opening weekend.

2. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

People can be happy here that 'the green inferno' is not doing well, but really, we should all be hoping for it's success, whether you like the film or not, the simple fact is if things like this don't do well, we will only ever be subjected to the same old crap that's being thrown into cinemas currently, I for one would like that to change, I'm looking forward to this and will support when possible.

Steel76, buck135 and Zombie Dude like this.
  3. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

This is very true as I have seen both and Inferno is much better. The only thing that can be said is that The Visit is on nearly twice as many screens as The Green Inferno.

4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I thought The Visit was really good considering. Even though it was "found footage" it was shot really well without the lame camera flickers and shaky shooting style most have grown to hate. Definitely one of M. Night's better films.

That being said I'm also sad to hear of the lack of audience going to see Green Inferno. I don't think it's been advertised much though and has had issues being released into screens so I'm guessing those are playing a big part in this. It sounds like it's decent but probably not good enough for good word of mouth to spread and get some numbers happening.

5. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Yes, all that and the fact that audiences reviews of the film match the critic reviews of the film. Not so good. Or and one more thing ... it was directed by Eli Roth. I'm not saying he got lucky with Cabin Fever but look at his atrocious track record. From directing to producing (minus one produced film) to TV, just really bad. Only thing he's got going is that he has incredible friends that put him in awesome movies for small acting spots.

6. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I enjoyed both Hostel films. They if nothing else caught peoples attention in one way or another.

7. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Wait....they're remaking CABIN FEVER already?

8. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

It's already done.

9. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Yup, and they are using the exact same script as the original did. The only thing that's going to be different is the death scenes.
    Guess it's gonna be Psycho (1998) all over again.... o_O

10. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

One of my most anticipated films to see. This is gonna be quite an experiment.

Cabin Fever was no where near or even deserves to be mention as a classic. The original Psycho was just that, and the idea of remaking an original of that caliber blew people minds. Yet Psycho (1998) is not that bad imho., it's was just unnecessary. Especially since it was shot for shot. What we have with Cabin Fever is a whole other ballgame. It will be interesting to see if the acting is better, a more serious tone, etc... When Gus Van Sant remade Psycho it was an homage to the original. Here with Cabin Fever, my gut is telling me this new director wants to top Roth. And I actually hope he does. You know ... for the story. Maybe that will start a trend, calling all directors to remake any Roth films.

11. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

This was actually pretty decent. Easily Roth's best to date.

Surprised that the first major kill made it past the MPAA. Gotta be that Tarantino connection...

12. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Yeah, Cabin Fever was a fun one. Outside of that, though, his chosen subgenres aren't really to my liking. I am curious about his new home invasion film with Keanu Reeves, tho. (That's Roth, right?)

13. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

It is, yes. I am looking forward to it as well. It made me curious about watching the original as well. I try to avoid buying DVD's when I can.

14. Steel76

So, from what I read, it's not as gory as Cannibal Holocaust, which is kinda disappointing, since I had hoped that he would REALLY go all out, and splatter the screen with guts flying everywhere :D
    Do they keep the camera on the mayhem, like in the Italian classics, or do they chicken out and do cutaways?

Something tells me, they don't dare to show a cannibal chop someones dick of, and eat it, like that hilarious scene with John Morgen in Cannibal Ferox :D

Or do they REALLY push the R-rating to new levels? :eek:

15. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

It has some gory dismemberment kills but nothing sexually graphic. There is some vagina play, but is shot from the side so you do not see the body part. Not as nasty as the Italian classics, but not tame either.

16. Steel76

17. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

So I saw Green Inferno this morning and there was only one other person in the theater with me. This was on a nice big screen in a nice theater. Unfortunately I didn't care for the film. The shaky cam had me annoyed from the get go. Most of the cast were annoying to me as well. I purposely avoided reading this thread for the last few weeks because I knew I would be seeing the film. It seems that I am again in the minority as far as my thoughts on the movie. It just didn't hold any interest to me. One of the most ridiculous lines of dialog in recent memory comes when one of the men is taking a piss and then yells "a tarantula tried to bite my dick off." The violence was decent but that isn't enough. The best thing for me is that now I don't have to buy the blu-ray so it saved me a bit of money. Tomorrow I'll be seeing Sicario and hopefully I enjoy that more.

18. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Ouch. Only $1.289 million in the second weekend.

Maybe this will put an end to Roth? At the very least, make all his films release only DTV where they deserve to be imho. Back someone else, and give them a chance to have their horror films released in the theater.

19. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

I was planning on seeing this yesterday afternoon, but at the last minute decided I didn't want to spend a nice, fall Sunday afternoon sitting in a movie theater. I'm still considering trying to catch it while it's in the theaters, but I'm starting to lean towards just waiting for the blu ray release.

20. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Saw it. Loved it. The main girl did a great job of conveying the, "what did I get myself into" schtick. The gore was ample and the natives were fascinting to watch. Great horror flick from our modern day maestro Eli.