The Green Inferno - New Cannibal Flick From Eli Roth

Discussion in 'General' started by zombi3, Oct 26, 2012.

1. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Before I get into why I loved it here's the few things I didn't care for:

-It could've been trimmed a little bit.
    -Both the dream scene at the end and the mid credits scene were unnecessary.
    -No castration scene. This was a homage to Italian cannibal movies for gods sake. One character in particular deserved it.

Other than that? Loved it. The acting was decent, the cinematography was gorgeous and the violence/gore was pretty brutal and nasty. I've heard people say it wasn't gory enough.

Bitches please. For a theatrical R rated film this was pretty gory. That first kill alone was brutal.

Steel76 likes this.
  2. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Alright I saw this film. Just had to see just maybe if Roth would prove me wrong. Nope. Ok, it wasn't as bad as Knock Knock, but it still was not very good. First off I will say that up until the crash, I was like, ok this isn't too bad. The visuals were nice, so that was good. But then the real stuff started.

This was a comedy, right? No seriously, this was a comedy ... right? Now it explains why brash loudmouth pat yourself on the back Roth, was so proud of the ratings board not telling him to make any "cuts". Here's the reason sweetheart, you made a comedy. The first kill in the movie was funny. Which by the way was the worst(goriest) out of the entire movie. But it was silly gore.(entertaining yes, and it looked good but not scary or terrifying) First off, the victim was completely clothed. So the dismemberment was tame, and that's one of main reasons why the rating board had zero problem with it. It was an Evil Dead 2 , gore scene. Nothing to worry about, only to entertain and make you laugh.

Back to the comedy. There were several comedic scenes in this film. Far too many to list, but I'll list a couple of standouts besides the first kill. The head cannibal guy, (with the dark paint) was funny. Plain and simple. The woman was a least a tad bit better(in being scary) , the bathroom scene, the playing with yourself scene, the ant scene....

This was a comedy, right? Roth sir, Sam Rami you are not. You're a hack horror director wannabe.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

For a director you so venemously hate, you sure do spend a lot of time discussing him.

baggio and Steel76 like this.
  4. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Not sure I understand. I like discussing any topic that I like or dislike. If I didn't care either way, then I wouldn't discuss Roth. I took shots at him before I saw the movie and then watched the movie and took the appropriate shots at him afterwards. At the very least I watched the films so I can praise or destroy his work as I wish. I try to watch everything good or bad regardless of the reviews here, elsewhere, or from paid critics. Most people wouldn't go that far.

Besides, this is a discussion forum right? I chose to discuss that imho Eli Roth is a hack & that Green Inferno is a sub par horror film. :D Also, I personally focus on Roth because somewhere along the lines right after Cabin Fever, the people AND HIMSELF anointed him as the new king of horror. He never was nor will he ever be. So he, in my opinion deserves to be under a microscope until he goes away or puts out a really good(or two, or three) horror films. Don't hold your breath on either of those.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  5. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

You're picking up on a nuance that isn't unintentional. In other words, you got it but didn't realize it and so your sarcasm here actually works to save you from that very realization. The irony here is genius!

Steel76 likes this.
  6. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

No I got it, and realized it. The thing here is that Roth is not even good at making an intentionally funny horror movie. Nor is he good or capable at making a scary horror film. And the point I was making is that the ratings board didn't bother with cutting it to shreds was because the film's gore was considered silly.

So instead of going around patting yourself(Roth) on the back that the movie is full uncut as submitted to the board. Roth should admit to the people you tried, the key word is tried to make a funny horror movie. What we got is a juvenile attempt to be entertaining. Let's face it, Roth never grew up as a filmmaker and probably never will.

Eli Roth:

"You don't make movies like the kind that I make to be universally loved," Roth tells Rolling Stone. "You make them because you want to provoke and you want a reaction. The best thing that people can say is, 'I couldn't watch it' or ' I watched it with my eyes closed.' If I've really done my job as a director, nobody can actually watch your movie. They're watching the inside of their hand. You don't want people walking out of a movie; you want them running out of the theater screaming. When that happens, that's like a standing ovation for me."

So tell me now, if you still think that he intentionally wants to make a movie that the horror is silly, like what we have in Green Inferno. How about the fact that Roth has trashed many horror movies and directors for having funny lines in films.

I wonder now if Eli Roth is just trolling horror fans. Considering the fact that his movies have everything he hates included in them.

7. CPT HOOK

The thing is though, you made it very clear that you hated this movie before you had even seen a frame of it. Nobody is surprised that you hated it after. You’ve also made it very clear that you will hate everything he ever makes no matter what. His entire future output has failed you before cameras have even rolled.

Any time someone has said that they liked something of Roth’s, you feel a need to reply saying “no you didn’t, and here’s why…”, as though there’s something you can say to them that will strike an epiphany to where they realize they didn’t actually like a movie that they liked. Your dislike for the guy’s films seems to go beyond that into an outright contempt for the man as a human being. It’s a little scary, to be honest.

I also think your view of Roth within the horror community is maybe a bit more esteemed than it actually is, and that seems to be a big part of your problem. Even if he is as esteemed as you think he is, I fail to see how his success in the genre affects anyone else’s. I was personally disappointed that The Visit did so much better at the box office than The Green Inferno, but I don’t believe The Visit stole audiences from The Green Inferno. People are going to see what they want to see, and the more genre output to choose from the better. Be thankful that 2015 has been such a strong year for the genre and given us so much to choose from, then maybe take a step back from the Eli Roth threads and relax.

MisterTwister and Steel76 like this.
  8. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I haven't seen this one yet but there's no denying Knock Knock was a terrible film that looked like it was created by a talentless amature.

baggio likes this.
  9. MisterTwister

So was baggio an actor that Roth didn't hire for one of his movies? So much hate from such a little man.

10. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

That's not true at all. I'm afraid your mistaken. Unlike most people, I stated very clear if I didn't care at all I wouldn't have seen the movie.

Again mistaken. Maybe even a little paranoid imho with this statement. I do not look down on anyone that likes his work. In fact I said nothing of the sort about people liking Green Inferno & nor did I attack anyone here on this board personally about liking Green. I clearly stated that I didn't like the film & Roth. And I'm NOT the only person here on this thread that didn't like it. So I think those people to be fair deserve to be included in your response.

A very bizarre statement. So, I'm not sure how to answer that one.

Fair enough. And yes I'm totally relaxed. So as long as Roth keeps making movies, I will still be there critiquing them. Along with any other director or movie I feel fit to do so.

11. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Wow, so you had to stop to that level.

Would have more interesting if you would have just discussed the topic. Well, actually to be fair you did. You mentioned the movie was a bit long, the end dream sequence & mid credits were unnecessary, zero on a castration scene(which you wanted as a homage), and the acting was decent. Other than that you loved it.

Oh, and the gore was brutal and nasty. Let's state that again, brutal and nasty. But I'm such the "little man" that thought it was silly and comedic. :confused: Oooh, I just wanna give you a big old hug and tell ya everything is gonna be alright. :)

12. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Just so I have this right, the overall consensus on The Green Inferno is split, while Knock Knock is almost completely panned outright. I want to see Roth, Ti West and James Wan take over this genre which is in a serious slump (Paranormal Activity 46, "funny" zombie films, etc). Roth will never be in the same sentence as Romero, Carpenter, Cronenberg or Craven. I think he has the talent and confidence to provide a kick the horror genre so desperately needs. If not, we'll be tiptoeing through the tulips for the rest of the decade.

Anthropophagus likes this.
  13. MisterTwister

Eli Roth really brings out the butt hurt in you. Keep it coming. It's fun to watch.

14. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Why are you guys picking on Baggio? This is a forum. If he wants to slam a film or it's director so what?

15. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I've had personal differences with Baggio in the past but the attacks in this case are a little unwarranted I think? Roth, like Zombie, is a polarizing director, for that reason I avoid most of his films knowing I'm not much of a fan. I thought the premise of 'Knock, Knock' sounded interesting but it was a letdown, not a big deal.
    That being said I did like Cabin Fever and Hostel 2.
    I mean I love John Carpenter but if someone was on here stating they dislike his films and think he's full of crap I wouldn't take it personally.
    Differences of opinion make up a discussion board, no? Without conflict there would be nothing to discuss.

baggio likes this.
  16. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Yes on Ti West & James Wan. Add Alexandre Bustillo/Julien Maury & Franck Khalfoun to that list. Maybe even Adam Green too.(the guy known for actually releasing NC-17 horror films in the theater no less. His films have a mix of horror & humor done right imo) I personally would have more faith in them over Roth.

Was thinking Neil Marshall too, but he's been doing some other stuff lately so I don't know much about his involvement in horror going forward. I will admit I'm interested in seeing what Rob Zombie's 31 is all about.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  17. CPT HOOK

If anyone disliked the film, that's fine. Discuss. If anyone dislikes Roth, that's fine too. Discuss. The reason baggio was singled out (and not just by me) is that he's been beating a dead horse over the past few weeks.

We get it. You hate the guy. As in hate hate HATE HATE the guy. You think he's a talentless hack with a talentless wife who isn't Sherri Moon Zombie, you want every single one of his films to bomb at the box office and go straight-to-video where you feel they belong, he's garbage, he only got lucky because he has famous friends, he's never made a good film and he never will, how DARE he use humor in a horror film, yada yada etc. If you feel that way, feel free to say so. But do it and move on with your life. There's no need to keep trolling the boards with your Roth hate, saying the same exact things over and over and over. We heard you the first 10 times.

I don't mean to be an ass, just be aware of how obnoxious this is becoming. And when your critique of a movie is simply that the director is a talentless hack with famous friends, it's a little bit petty and nonconstructive. And some of those comments above weren't even in response to anything, you just felt a need to blurt out your contempt for the guy. That many contemptuous posts towards the guy in such a short amount of time is a little concerning.

18. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Ok, but you do realize that all those posts said something new and different about Green Inferno & Roth. Each one filled with opinions & FACTS about the movie Green Inferno & Eli Roth. And YOU were the one that brought them up again. Not me. I posted each separate thought appropriate to the time I posted them and moved on. The trolling comment does not apply to me. I don't play those kinda games.

And I only critiqued the movie itself ONCE and I explained what was good and bad. (so let's tell the truth about that) And of course I critiqued the director because he was responsible for the film.

P.S. - I will say thank you for at least reading my posts. Regardless if you agreed or disagreed with them. Usually people just say stuff without actually reading what another person said. You have my respect for that.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
    Zombie Dude likes this.
  19. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Wait, you don't like Eli Roth Baggio? Why not?

CPT HOOK likes this.
  20. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member