The Grudge: Remake or Original?

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by rhett, Feb 1, 2005.

?

Remake or original, which do you prefer?

Poll closed Mar 3, 2005.
  1. Ju-On: The Grudge (2004)

32 vote(s)
    58.2%
  2. The Grudge (2004)

23 vote(s)
    41.8%
  1. life_o_petey

life_o_petey Guest

they both suck something awful, but if i had to pick, i'd say the original. It was at least decent for a little while.

2. shift

shift Hot as shit!

I jumped more on THE GRUDGE. so the US version I likeY more.

3. Semerrill

Semerrill Member

the original

4. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I quite watching the Japanese version about 45 minutes into it....not sure why, just got bored. Maybe because (sorry if this sounds bad) all of the characters bled together. I guess if I watched more Asian cinema I'd be able to tell one from the other, but they all looked and acted alike to me and non of the performances were engaging enough to hold my interest.
    At least the US version had the wonderful Grace Zabriskie. She plays crazy better than anyone!
    Concerning both versions: I'm sorry but there's NOTHING scary about a frail, naked Japanese kid. Even if he does sound like a cat.

I take it back. They both sucked. LOL. I guess I'll check out the sequel though since everyone seems to agree that it is an improvement.

5. zombee

zombee Guest

only saw the original, and wasn't very impressed, so I didn't vote.

6. Killdozer

Killdozer Guest

It's a tough call.

Ju-On is a terrible movie. It's bankrupt in almost every aspect of its narrative. It's unfocused, meandering, and amateurish in the way it tells its story and the way it presents its characters. We care about nothing, we are concerned about no one, and we are intentionally ditched by the plot. The Grudge, however, attempts to flesh out the characters, eliminates the retarded three schoolgirls subplot (the worst part about the first film), and shows us some, but not all, of the details behind the ghosts and why they're so pissed off. It's a better told story.

But, in all honesty, I still voted for Ju-On. Why? Because despite its pathetic attempts at storytelling (something I honestly think the majority of Japanese filmmakers, live-action and otherwise, are awful at doing), it's just simply more frightening. And I do mean frightening. Ju-On scared the fuck out of me, and still does. The Grudge is still a very scary film, but it's just not on the level of Ju-On in terms of sheer terror and creepitude. Shimizu should stick to directing, and leave the writing up to someone who can actually craft an engaging narrative.

This is a slightly different reaction for me than with Ringu and The Ring. I thought that The Ring was a beautiful story and a masterfully crafted piece of horror cinema. It's wonderfully written and acted, and it just looks spectacular. Ringu, however, is a piss-poorly crafted piece of dogshit cinema. It's a half-hour shorter than The Ring, but it feels like it's longer by at least a day or two. But I have to give credit where credit is due and thank Ringu for giving a talented filmmaker like Gore Verbinski a good idea to work with, so that an infinitely superior film could be born of it.

Thus ends my rant.

7. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

I voted on the original, but I really like them about the same. Ju-On is creepier and it is the original, but The Grudge definitely makes more sense of the story. I haven't seen any of the sequels or made for television movies so I can't judge on those, but I'm guessing they are all at or around the same level of decency. Not a huge fan of this series, but it's all right.

8. CasEjonz

CasEjonz Guest

By far the original is better even though the US one has a larger budget. I liked the anthology format that Shimizu did with the girls in the Japanese release.

9. Jimbo

Jimbo The Bloodstained Shadow

I have not seen the origianl.But if it is any indication of the remake i dont want to see it.The onlything that saved this movie for me was a little bit of eye candy.That is Sarah Michelle Gellar.And even she has looked much better elsewere.

10. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Thought the The Grudge sucked, contrived and plodding, an overrated waste of time and money. Buffy is annoying and can't act her way out of a paper bag.

11. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

I've only seen the remake and it had some decent scares. I tend to agree with Killdozer about RINGU vs. THE RING, so I may end up liking the remake better. I just saw the remake last night, so it will probably be a while before I get around to renting the original.

12. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I haven't seen Ju-on: The Grudge or The Grudge, and I never will. And just so you know, Ju-on: The Grudge isn't even the original. It too is a remake.

Here's the order and histort of the 'Ju-on' remakes and their deprevity:

Ju-on (original) (2000)
    Ju-on: The Grudge (bigger budget Jap remake) (2003)
    The Grudge (Hollywood remake set in Japan, with America actors) (2004)

And there are also sequels to both the original Ju-on and to the first remake, Ju-on: The Grudge:

Ju-on 2 (2000)
    Ju-on: The Grudge 2 (2003)

Also, these 'sequels' are basically extended versions of the originals. And all of these movies are directed by the same guy, Takashi Shimizu. Talk about pathetic.

13. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

Huh? I sure would like to have his pathetic bank account.

14. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Why is it pathetic? Is it because he keeps making the same film? Kinda like the Evil Dead thing. :hum:

You should check out the Japanese version, the more recent one. Then you can say if it's pathetic because you thought the film sucked. :)

15. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

He shoots... he scores!!!

16. Luna

Luna Guest

I just saw the remake last night at the dollar theater and enjoyed it well enough. It doesn't top the Japanese one for me, though the main background story of the of the actual "grudge" is more interesting to me in the remake. I could believe the ghost stuff but I had a harder time suspending disbelief about there being so many American social workers in Tokyo. :D

17. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

You're right on the money there! They could have least got Michelle Yeoh, at least that would have been a bit more believable. For anyone interested... Japan does not allow foriegn nurses to practice there. There is a serioius shortage of nurses and tons of Flip nurses there but they would rather hire them as maids instead of nurses. Go figure.

18. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

The original... that american one was too dummied down and shit. It was ok but nothing great. Original film all the way on this one. :)

19. well Ju-on and Ju-on 2 are essentially one movie split in two (with the end of one being the beginning of the other) and Ju-on: The Grudge works as a sequel to the first two movies. There are story threads in the TV movies that are picked up in the theatical films.

The Grudge (american film now) works as an omni-remake covering elements of all four Ju-on films.

...so basically Ju-on: The Grudge is not a remake of Ju-on

20. Surnom

Surnom New Member

Just watched The Grudge last night, but never saw any of it asian inspiration... But I got to say that I was very disappointed by the movie. I've heard so much about how scary it was, but I was yawning from start to finish (now my mouth hurts). Now I know lots of people here didn't like that other japanes remake The Ring, but at least that one gave me some scares, real ones and not only little jump here and there. I wonder if after that crappy movie I really want to see the original...