The Hand?

Discussion in 'Classic' started by dwatts, Jul 17, 2003.

1. steve_p

steve_p New Member

I haven't seen that movie in a long time.

2. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I hadn't seen this one in a long time. But I caught some of the dismembered hand marathon on TCM recently and decided to throw in the DVD and watch it again.

It's enjoyable trash. The plot is 100% predictable. And aside from Caine the characters are all one-note cardboard cut-outs. But Caine is on-screen nearly every second. And that makes all the difference. His willingness to pimp himself out and throw himself full-bore into bad films makes me like him even more. We need to start a thread about truly great actors who've appeared in scores of really terrible films.

Some of the early effects, like the lizard's tale, are laughable. But most of the other effects are very well done. The dismemberment scene gives the same kind of kick that good slasher kills give. I laughed out loud at the Stone's tackiness and audacity. And Caine's over-the-top grimacing is the icing on the cake. Good stuff.

I enjoyed Stone's cameo and Caine's wrestling scene with the hand a lot too. All told this is a pretty average movie. But there's plenty to enjoy if you like Michael Caine or want to see The Beast With Five Fingers updated with modern effects and gore.

3. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

THE HAND was issued as part of a Warner's grab bag style horror set called THE TWISTED TERROR COLLECTION where it was included along with diverse horrors Someone Is Watching Me,From Beyond The Grave,Eyes Of A Stranger,Dr. Giggles,and Deadly Friend.You can also sometimes find it sold as a single.I had seen it pop up cheap at places like Big Lots but not in a while.It's 16/9 and has a comm. track by Oliver Stone.It's an oddball film but I have a fondness for it.It's kooky though,a bit overwrought.Based on a novel called ''The Lizard's Tail".Carlo Rambaldi built the mechanical hand used in the film,he just passed away.Got Oscars ALIEN and KING KONG.It's not Stone's first directorial gig by the way,that was an early 70's horror film called SEIZURE with the late Jonathan Frid and Martine Beswicke,Herve Villachez is in it as well.I don't know of a legit version of that on disc.

4. rijir

rijir Member

I bought it on DVD a few years ago. Can't remember where though. I remember it was around $5.

5. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I think a lot of the titles (if not all) from the twisted terror collection have been relegated to warner's DVD-R MOD program. The same goes for the 4 cult camp classics box sets. that's a real shame. i missed the twisted terror box, but was able to grab all 4 CCC boxes before they were downgraded.

6. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I own a number of the TWISTED TERROR's as singles but never actually got the set.Odd that you mention the Camp Classics sets as I won one of those very sets from this site a number of years ago !

7. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

There is actually a Twisted Terror: 4 Film Favorites that snuck out a few weeks ago, missing From Beyond the Grave and Dr. Giggles, but with the other 4 from the set. Or the old dvds are plentiful and cheap on amazon, including the whole box for around what retail price was. Didn't look like the Hand was MOD when I was looking at amazon yesterday.

8. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

now that i think about it, i believe the only title i actually saw was From Beyond the Grave. So perhaps that was the only one that got downgraded to MOD. i just assumed that if one had gone MOD, then it was possible they all had. it's a shame, though. so the 4 film favorites includes Someone's Watching Me, Deadly Friend, Eyes of a Stranger, and The Hand? I may pick that up, although i would have preferred a set that replaced The Hand with From Beyond the Grave. The Hand was by far my least favorite of the set.

9. shape22

Has anyone else tried to play the Twisted Terror Collection DVD of "The Hand" lately? My disc appears unblemished, but it locked up 3 different DVD players around chapter 6. I have several thousand DVDs and Blu-rays and I've had only 1 or 2 discs show signs of failing prior to this one.

It's not the whole collection, either. I watched "Someone's Watching Me" with no issues last week.

10. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Yes, mine has the same issue. Affects about 20 minutes of the movie, you can skip ahead via chapters and watch the ending. I don't remember the exact point it freezes, but it pretty much chops out the entire chunk of the movie where he has the affair with his student. The disc surface is pristine. I noticed it last December when I tried watching it (it's a Christmas movie).

I rarely have issues with discs, but when I do it's always Warner Bros, especially their TV titles. Apparently in their early days, Warner used a terrible DVD pressing plant called WAMO and a lot of their dual-layer discs crap out over time. I had the same problem with a few seasons of The Sopranos (Seasons 2 and 4) and Tales From The Crypt (Seasons 2 and 5) on DVD. Warner does not offer replacement discs, as I've tried to contact them. I'm surprised no one holds them accountable the way they do other companies (for example, the Criterion blu-ray disc rot), but I suppose Warner Bros is big enough to where they don't have to care.

Warner's single-layered discs should be fine, at least I've never had a problem with one. The Hand and Someone's Watching Me are the only two dual-layered titles in the Twisted Terror Collection, so the rest should be unaffected. Last time I watched it, my Someone's Watching Me played without issue.

I make it a point to avoid Warner DVD releases, especially TV seasons. Or I just buy them as cheap as possible.

shape22 likes this.
  11. shape22

Thanks so much for the quick response, CPT HOOK. I had a feeling this might be the case. That's EXACTLY the same thing I'm experiencing. It initially froze right when his student knocked on his door for the first time. Maybe that DVD authoring plant is run by the moral majority.

12. Swampthing82

Swampthing82 Active Member

I just tried mine and it did the same fucking thing. Froze up my player completely. I had to actually unplug it to get it to start up again. Stupid. Now I'm going to have to rebuy this at some point.

shape22 likes this.
  13. shape22

Sorry, Swampthing82. Thanks for checking your disc and letting us know. It's pretty amazing that the whole damn batch seems to be defective. Then again, it's totally forgivable for a tiny mom & pop operation like Warner. Oh...wait...

14. Swampthing82

Swampthing82 Active Member

Shit happens I guess. Thanks for letting me know!

shape22 likes this.
  15. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

Just checked my copy and it seems to be playing okay. I never have watched this one - guess I better before it craps out!

shape22 likes this.
  16. shape22

Thanks for checking. You might have the only working copy on Earth. Ha.

17. Stige

Stige Active Member

I just checked my copy from the original twisted terror Box, it played without problems.

EDIT: The ending credits went a little wobbly for a few seconds.

18. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

How are the copies of the rest of the movies in that set, From Beyond The Grave, etc?

19. shape22

I only tested The Hand and Someone's Watching Me. CPT HOOK pointed out above that those are the only 2 dual-layer discs in the set, so those are the only 2 you should need to worry about.

20. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Speaking of how much Warner Bros SUCKS, I'm watching Tales From The Crypt: Season Seven and episode 4 "Escape" keeps freezing and skipping around.