The Hateful Eight (2015, Tarantino) non-spoiler Review

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by thing, Dec 21, 2015.

1. thing

thing Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The Hateful Eight (2015)

Directed by Quentin Tarantino

Tarantino's latest film is a western set in post-Civil War Wyoming with two bounty hunters (Kurt Russell, Samuel L. Jackson) finding shelter during a blizzard but things are not as they appear at the oasis. Much has been made of them using 70mm panavision for this film, which may seem like a strange choice for a film that almost completely takes place inside one insular location but even though this would be the directors least epic film visually or location wise, the format works well here.

This story could easily be a stage play rather than a film as it is very dialogue driven with little movement or action, it also feels like a slightly more mature Tarantino here bar a few monologues. The actors make the most of the material with the standouts being Sam Jackson, Jennifer Jason Leigh and Walton Goggins, the latter of which I am not overly familiar with but he has an excellent role here.

I saw the theatrical version rather than the extended roadshow version and even this version is 2 and 3/4 hours and does feel quite bloated so I cannot imagine the extra 20 minutes in the roadshow version being of any benefit.Whilst the film is slow and even sparse at times in the first half, it is never really dull but I would be curious how it will go over with mainstream viewers and how it will hold up on re-watches.

In the end I really enjoyed this film but am not sure how to compare it to his other work or where it will sit exactly in his filmography. It is certainly an interesting film with great performances, a great look and score that will be around for a long time to come.

7-7.5

2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

There's more than a few similarities (intentional) to Carpenter's The Thing, and not just the casting of Kurt Russell.

Mok likes this.
  3. thing

thing Well-Known Member

well they used an unused morricone track from The Thing soundtrack in the film, and its set in one place in the snow and there is paranoia but its no The Thing.

4. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Pretty bad box office numbers for this one, good to see the revenant doing good business though.

5. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Hateful Eight > The Revenant. In case it comes down to a decision at the ticket counter ;)

Revenant was indeed a splendid artistic masterpiece, but the story is fairly straight forward and a little dull (but maybe that was the point?).

6. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Kurt Russell chooses to be a dinosaur of Hollywood. I'll probably skip this, even when it comes to Netflix streaming.