The Haunted Palace (Corman/Price)

Discussion in 'Classic' started by dwatts, Jun 14, 2006.

1. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I watched this one yesterday. I'm a huge fan of the Corman/Poe/Price films, and I've been holding off watching this German DVD for quite some time. In fact, it was still in its cellophane after over a year!

Why, oh why, did I wait? I think I might well elevate this one to my favorite of these adaptations. Unlike some of the others, it doesn't feel as campy. Price is top-notch, the soundtrack terrific, the sets wonderful, and Corman directs with a fantastic eye.

Fog, lightning, fires from hell, creatures in pits, possession, and mutant children - what else could one ask from such a film? Well, how about a perfect, pristine transfer. Not sure how the R1 looks for this, but the 2.35:1 anamorphic print of the German release looks so damn good I could hardly believe it. Absolutely wonderful.

What a terrific little film - and not a single thread on it. Excellent stuff, I bet I'm not the only one who thinks so :)

2. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

Yes! Great movie! It's been a while since I've seen it so I have to pop it in again. I have the "Midnite Movies" Corman/Price double feature that also includes Tower of London which is also excellent.

3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

A great film indeed. ANY of the Corman/Price flicks are well worth buying. :)

4. Jimbo

Jimbo The Bloodstained Shadow

This one is on top of my list as well.The Midnight Movies MGM disk looks very good. I really would love a anamorphic Pit and the Pendulum dvd and Tomb of Ligeia is another great Corman/Poe/Price. I love them all in one way or another.Very worth of a box set with ton's of extras.

Watts......What German dvd do you have of this? Any extras on the disk?

5. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Here it is: Click me.

There are extras, but unless you speak German, they're not of much use. There's an article on the film, it's over 11 screens long! Reading though.... so....

6. CasEjonz

CasEjonz Guest

The funny thing about "Haunted Palace" is that it is not an Poe story. Though it is titled as Edgar Allan Poe's Haunted Palace it is an adaption of an H.P. Lovecraft tale "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward." Corman wanted to branch off from doing Poe work but wanted to maintain the continuity he had with the run.

7. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Actually, it's a combination of the two. For instance, the two voiceover quotes that bookend the film are Poe's. Lovecraft is credited too.