The Herzog - Kinski Collection (threads combined)

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by mutleyhyde, May 15, 2002.

1. FleshRipper

FleshRipper Guest

Too bad the new set excludes the English dubbed version, even though the included German version with eng subs is felt to be the best. I'm a completist so the 2 versions would have made the set SOLID! :(

2. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

I watched Aguirre, The Wrath of God the other night, and thought it was pretty cool. It's very anti-climactic, following a very determined, steady pace throughout the film. From all of Kinski's reputation, I was expecting more of the raving lunatic than the brooding conspirator with rather low-key flashes of lunacy that he played the part as. But that works with the film, as it fits in with the marathon endurence of the trek through the suffocating jungle. Rather than a rabid, crazed race to the finish, it is slow death.

The cinematography was great, both in the use of the natural surroundings, and the framing and placement of characters. It's a damn good lookin' film.

I was half asleep when I started it right back up with the commentary, so I can't really comment much on specifics, but I do remember it being pretty informative and it keeping my attention, at least until I finally passed out from having been up way past my bedtime.

Anyway, cool flick. I recommend it! :)

3. Andrew

Andrew Guest

I got some cash today, and will probably put in an order for this and the 3 other AB titles I've been wanting.

4. Jog

Jog Guest

The final shot of Aguirre is a beauty!

5. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Hell yeah it is!
    Very impressive, kind of like a man-made whirlpool, showing how he's just gonna continue spinning out of control and there's no hope - he and his ambitions will be swallowed up. Very cool. I like everyone getting stuck in the end... "This is not an arrow", haha - and the monkeys were cool. Aguirre was kind of a sicko for wanting to marry his dead daughter, but hey, I'd have done her. Not if I were her dad of course... I mean, if I were one of the conquistadors, or one of the slaves, or the monk even. Yep.
    :)

Nosferatu; Watched this one last night for the first time (I know; hey, like I said before, I've never seen any of these.). What a beautiful film! Werner gets the mood down perfectly in this one, and the night shots, when Harker is traveling the Borgo pass, and when the coachman picks him up, matched with the perfectly accompanying score, is exquisite! The feel when the town is having their "casket parade", and going nuts in the streets rocks... very well done. And of course, I love the rats. :)

I didn't really like the clutch ending, but that's okay. It's hard to resist such a thing in a movie like this. Poor Lucy doesn't have much to do in the film, which is inherent to the story really; she actually has more to do in Herzog's version than in Murnau's. She does have a few choice lines that are delivered very nicely, and she pulls off the facial acting well. My only gripe is we never get to see her nekkid, haha. Lucky Klaus does get to halfway feel her up though, bastid. She was pretty dang hot. I liked Harker except for the end. And Klaus as Dracula, yeah, what can ya say? He kicked ass. He played it very tragical, and as such instills great empathy in the viewer (at least in this one). One thing though, if Drac is bitching all the time about the deal with immortality being so bad, why the hell doesn't he just greet the sun on his own? Damn hypocrite! ;)

Great film. [​IMG]

6. rhett

rhett Administrator

Glad you liked Nosferatu, Hyde! I had never seen it before Dave sent it to me for review, but after seeing it I thought it was truly a special moviegoing experience. It plays just like the old silent movies of the 20's, and I haven't really seen any other modern films recreate that kind of feel. It is a travesty that it did not get any Academy Award nominations. Kinski's performance, the film itself, and the exquisite cinematography all should have been nominated. This is one of the few movies I can watch on mute and still find it beautiful. The "casket parade" scene was very eerie Hyde, it made me feel uncomfortable to say the least!

Going slightly off topic, did you see Graveyard Shift, Hyde? Given the abundance of rodents in that movie you should take a moderate liking to it. :)

7. FleshRipper

FleshRipper Guest

...But Where is Nosferatu?

I don’t believe this...I received the set, looked it over and all appears well. A few days later when I had time to run through the discs, but to my surprise, the Nosferatu disc was MISSING!!! I called up Deep Discount and after explaining they told me to send it back and they will ship out a new set. The annoying part was having had to complain about something that you couldn’t prove (your word against theirs). Hope no one else had this experience. Check your sets!!!:mad:

8. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Ordered this a few days ago, will post thought when it arrives :).

9. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

FleshRipper... fortunately, DDD has great customer service, from what I've experienced anyway. It's been a while - have you received the replacement yet?

Rhett, no, I've never seen Graveyard Shift, but it's on my "must see" list now! :D Thanks.

It's almost been a month Andy, ya got yours yet?

Okay, I watched Woycek a while back, but never got around to posting about it, and kind of got off the Werner/Herzog tip. :eek: I know, bad Hyde, but hey, I've had things to do, and watchin' movies and talkin' 'bout 'em unfortunately hasn't been near the top of that list for a while now.

Woycek was cool, but it's pretty heavy in the drama area. It plays out like a morbid European opera. The characters are creepy and self-serving; a really pathetic group of folks - especially the doctor. This is not a happy film, nor is it unpredictable, but it is interesting. The filming itself is very utilitarian, economic; very matter of fact and to the point. That's not to say it's uninteresting. The landscapes, cityscapes, interiors and wardrobe are all very well done. Even though it's all drab, like a washed out painting created from a monochrome-palette consisting of only shades of yellow, their is great detail everywhere that adds a lot of character. Either Werner lucks out in his locations, or he just really has a good eye for detail. I think it's the latter.

While not as involved a story and as well done as Nosferatu is, or as grand and catastrophic as Aguirre is, Woycek is quirky as hell, as was very interesting on it's own.

Hopefully, I'll get around to Fitzcaraldo this weekend. :cool:

10. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Oh yeah, have had it for awhile. One of the nicest looking sets I've seen in awhile. I spent near a half hour sitting with it reading all the liner notes and whatnot.

Watched AGGUIRE awhile ago and liked it a lot, though I do think it felt weird at a mere 90-something-minute runtime. Watched the first few minutes of NOSFERATU last night and started to fall asleep so I switched it off. I tell ya, the first 13-15 minutes are painful to watch, but once he started walking towards the mountains I could feel it getting better :). Should finish it tonight.

11. FleshRipper

FleshRipper Guest

The Set is Intact!

mutleyhyde,

Yes, I did receive a replacement set just the other day. All the discs were in there. :D
    Haven't had the time to run through them on the player yet, but will post outcome. Thanks

P.S. I could not believe how depressing the first few minutes were of Woycek (only amount viewed so far) when I played my first set. I am not at all trashing the film, only pointing out the compassion I had for Kinski's character...seemed pathetic in his devotion to his commanding officers even under the abuse. Whew, gonna' have to catch the film on a day of high self esteem just to bring me back to reality.

12. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Ha ha... yeah, Woycek does kinda put one through the wringer. It's definitely not a feel-good movie.

I'm glad you finally got your set. [​IMG]

13. marioscido

marioscido New Member

I've seen all of Herzog's work (including his more recent documentaries), and I think he is a great filmmaker. I was really happy to see the job Anchor Bay did on his work. He is a great storyteller and his commentary tracks are among the best I've heard.

However, I am a little disappointed with this box set. I realize that the Herzog/Kinski projects are among his most popular films, and I think that "Aguirre" and "Nosferatu" rank among his finest films, but "Cobra Verde" is awful, almost laughable. There are much better Herzog films out there that you might want to check out: "Signs of Life," "Fata Morgana," "The Enigma of Kasper Hauser," "Even Dwarfs Started Small," and especially "Stroszek," (the film Harmony Korine has always wanted to make - he's a bit if Herzog wantabe!).

The box looks nice; "My Best Fiend" is wonderful, mostly because Herzog does what he does best in it: he tells stories. But beware of "Cobra Verde."

14. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Well, one movie out of five (six including Fiend) ain't bad. ;)

Since I last posted I've watched Fitzcaraldo. Again, another beautifully filmed movie, the events of which match Kinski's own quirkiness. It truly is a mad film. Although the end is rather untypically upbeat, the getting there is gutwrenching.

Up next, Mario's favorite, Cobra Verde :p and then Fiend.

15. Cobra Verde isn't that bad... It's different from the others in the set (but, then, so is Woyzeck); but good for different reasons (and some of the same). It's no Aguirre or Fitzcaraldo, and, yeah, it has its flaws, but it's still a good film worth seeing.

16. marioscido

marioscido New Member

"Cobra Verde": Worth seeing? Absolutely! It's a Herzog... Worth buying? There are plenty of other films that I would purchase before this one.

17. Jog

Jog Guest

Hmmmmm...

Oddly enough, The Onion's AV Club just ran a review of the new Herzog film "Invincible"... it must have opened in the US this weekend (in under 10 theaters, I'd wager). The reviews range from good to awful on this one... but I'll still see it. Might have to wait for the dvd though, as this does NOT look like a wide release...

18. rhett

rhett Administrator

My university had a copy of AGUIRRE, so I promptly took it and watched it. What a beautiful and haunting film. It has that epic quality a lot like 2001, where dialogue is secondary to the mood created by the music and visuals. The several circular shots that are featured throughout the film are beautiful, especially that jaw dropping final shot.

I was expecting Klaus to just let loose, but in a way his restrained performance suits the film better. His little monologue at the end of the film is classic Kinski though, and his valiant stare speaks for itself.

I definitely want to see the rest of Herzog's films now, after having seen AGUIRRE and NOSFERATU and loving them both. While it sounds like those are his best, I certainly want to see his others.

19. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

They're all great!!! I really enjoyed all of them, check out Woyzeck for sure, Kinski rules in that movie:banana: :banana:

20. Anchor Bay's done a great job on a bunch of Herzog DVDs, not just the Kinski collabs. Hopefully they'll release some more.
    Also, some guy is selling DVD-Rs of a bunch of otherwise unreleased Herzog movies (Wings of Hope, How Much Wood Would a Woodchuck Chuck, La Soufriere, The Great Ecstasy of Woodcarver Steiner, The Flying Doctors of East Africa, Where the Green Ants Dream) on EBay. The quality's as funky as you'd expect, and they're an annoying buzz in the audio track, but they're only like $10 a pop and I imagine you could grow old waiting for nice, digitally remastered DVDs of these.

Invincible's coming out (on disc, I mean, not theatres) on June 3rd.