The Hills Have Eyes (2006) Official Reaction Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Peter Vincent, Mar 7, 2006.

1. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I'm so wary of movies now (ANY movie) of using these tired gimmicks. Also - I wonder if the dog is gonna be more resourceful than the entire cast? I love doggies, but in some movies they're made to be annoying SUPER CANINES. I hope the mutant family's background isn't explained in typical American movie fashion. I loved the original's usage of the old man at the gas station filling us in on just enough info. I'm fearing a overly detailed, no-suprise instore prologue.
    I hate the poster...couldn't they have chosen a more fearful expression on the actress? I had to do a double take on a billboard I saw because in no way did this look like a thriller.

2. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I'd expect more CG blood. It makes sense from a production standpoint (don't have to change clothes and re-do make-up every for every take, etc..).
    I'm not a huge fan, but that's just the way it is. Hopefully it will get less noticable as time goes on.

3. I don't care how much blood and gore this new version has, I still have no interest in seeing it. Plus, spending 8 or 10 bucks on a movie ticket these days is depressing. I'd rather save that money to buy a cooler, older film on DVD. Or something to eat...

Man, was that cynical or what?!

4. life_o_petey

life_o_petey Guest

thanks for the reviews guys. I've been wanting to see this one ever since i heard Aja was directing. Hopefully i'll get a chance to check it out this weekend.

5. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I'm putting this in the same category as The Thing And The Fly, remakes that surpassed the original. Loved every bit of it. I was eating up Doug's sweet revenge with a spoon.

I think the original TCM's tagline "Who will survive and what will be left of them" would go great with movies like this and Hostel, where character's actually make it out alive with pieces of their body missing.

Oh and did anyone see the trailer for the OMEN remake? I didn't even know they made one.

6. Tien21

Tien21 Guest

Are they showing a full trailer now in theaters for the Omen, or just that boring teaser?

7. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

It's a good movie and a solid remake, but I preferred Haute Tension. The Hills Have Eyes has lots of gore, interesting music and photography, but unfortunately very few scares. There are 2 lines of dialogue that just really killed the moment. One said by the Big Brain and the other by the teenage daughter. Although there's a lot of small differences between the new and old versions, all in all Aja sticks pretty close to the original. Thankfully there is NO CGI to speak of! I will be buying the DVD the day it comes out to further analyze. Recommended. 7.5/10

Last edited: Mar 10, 2006
  8. Paul0889

Paul0889 New Member

just got back, fuckin FANTASTIC! i really loved it. it's the best horror remake i've seen. there were some big changes between it and the original, mainly just with the mutants and their backstory. the gore and makeup effects were great, knb did amazing once again. the movie took a while to get going but it was to slowly build up tension, and when that damn trailer attack scene happened IT REALLY HAPPENED. some pretty brutal shit right there, i'm shocked that a lot of stuff got away with an R rating. the music from tomandandy was great in my opinion, although that battle/victory score piece towards the end was somewhat corny but who cares. everyone needs to see this ASAP! i give it a 10/10

By the way, here is an excellent review from DVDTalk http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=20550

Last edited: Mar 11, 2006
  9. gore

gore Guest

It was a pretty damn good flick. There was about a half hour of the movie that I found myself getting a little bored but it was worth it in the end. It definitely had its gorey moments, even had a shotgun to the head scene that was the best I have seen since maniac. I would definitely shell out the bucks for the theatre if your bored enough.

10. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Really? Both THE THING and THE FLY are very different movies from the originals. I don't see either as surpassing the originals, just as classics in their own rights. Everything I've read about the HILLS HAVE EYES is that it's roughly the same movie, that it follows the same structure with a few changes in the second half. It doesn't sound to me like it would fall in that same category any more than Jackson's KING KONG would to Willis O'Brian's original.

11. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

True I know they're quite different, but I was just speaking in terms of liking both of those films better than the originals. The originals are very good flicks indeed. Vincent Price is great and
    nothing compares to the steam-press suicide.

12. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

I fucking love this movie. Just got back from it and will probably go see it again tomorrow with some friends. The audience was CHEERING when this shit got crazy. The gore was pretty damn brutal too. I didn't notice any CG blood at all though, it all looks like old fashioned make up and gore fx. (and oh so nasty) I was entertained.

13. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

Wow, for the first time in a very, very long time they did it right. I loved every minute of this. I would actually call it better than the original...which is the first time that has happened with a remake since the mid-80s. All the promise Aja showed with Haute Tension came into full bloom with this. Everything was spot on perfect...the acting, the FX, the pacing (I can't believe anyone was bored with this!), etc. The elements that stayed the same from the original still worked perfectly...and the changes to the story that were made actually made good dramatic sense (unlike The Fog, The Amityville Horror, etc) I have not felt this way coming out of a movie in a really long time...I only hope that this may be the start of a new trend...seeing as horror remakes are not going to be going away any time soon...at least this proves (like The Fly, The Thing, and Cat People) that it is still possible to make a good one.

14. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I'm going to see this Sunday evening, as that is the first time I'm gonna have a chance to see it because I won't be working then. So pumped.

15. rhett

rhett Administrator

After the slick, subversive and transcendental brilliance of HIGH TENSION, I had such high hopes for this remake. With TENSION, Aja showed an understanding of the genre so deep that not only could he imitate it visually with perfection, but he could also turn its conventions on end. With a debut as promising as HIGH TENSION, there is nowhere to go but down, but what is so disappointing is just how far below great THE HILLS HAVE EYES ultimately digs in at. So lacking in innovation or originality, the movie is indistinguishable from the wave of other remakes that have been flooding theaters the last few years. The problem is, is that all those other remakes have done the same thing first, and they all don't have someone with the proven talent of Aja behind the camera.

In HIGH TENSION, Aja was reconfiguring the genre with the sexually aware Final Girl and the mind game theatrics of the finale, but here he depressingly sticks wholeheartedly to every little genre cliché as if it were gospel. We get endless jump scares, characters going off alone and so much just waiting as people look around as ominous music plays. There is even a part where suspense music plays when someone reaches in the back of their truck in the middle of the day as if somebody suddenly crawled through the transmission and made their way in the back seat in a matter of seconds. The movie suffers from HOUSE OF WAXitus, mainly in that there is not a significant kill for close to an hour into the film (save for an unrelated opening sequence). We get lame character development, rah rah America stereotypes and undeveloped killers. It is just all so blasé, which is so disheartening since this was the kind of stuff Aja was subverting three years ago. Now he's cashing a paycheck.

The movie sticks faithfully on the surface to Craven's original, but the story has been completely hollowed out of any sort of latent meaning or message. Craven's film works so well even today precisely because it taps into the line man straddles between civilized and uncivilized, apexing the film on one of the most indicting final shots in the history of horror. Aja completely misses the boat, serving up some tired satire of American conservatism rather than trying at anything remotely subversive. If Cecile de France's character in TENSION was modeled after Sarah Conner, then THE HILLS HAVE EYES is modeled after the T-1000: on the surface it looks sound, but behind it it is just one boring robotic automaton. Predictable, heartless and dull.

On a technical side it is admirable, with the sound design leading the way as one of the most effective and rousing of recent years. Tomandandy's score really gives exclamation to some of the tenser moments in the film, and is probably the high point of the film. The gore is good, but you can tell they are holding back for the uncut version. It doesn't even hold a candle to the sloppy sadism of HIGH TENSION, though. The effects work is actually kind of a waste, since most of it is just impalements rather than the messy prosthetic work in TENSION. The slow tearing of skin with a throat slitting is so much more effective than an endless parade of pickaxes to the head, since it elongates our fear over the penetrability of our skin. Again, Aja just seems to totally have forgotten everything he did with HIGH TENSION in order to try his best to fly with the remake flock.

THE HILLS HAVE EYES certainly fits in well with the rest of the horror remakes these days, but for a guy who was setting the bar a few years ago, it is depressing to see him content with tripping over it and taking a participation ribbon instead. The sad thing is, the characters are so cutout and obvious that there really is little motive to care about any of the technical mastery Aja displays. Remakes like DAWN, AMITYVILLE and TCM at least hold up with good performances. The family dynamic is dropped from the cannibals in this remake, and the actual family in the film seems less a family and more just an assembly of caricatures.

Alexandre Aja has the talent to take horror in rich new directions, so it is so maddening to see him just trot along the same old beaten path. THE HILLS HAVE EYES is just one big profound disappointment from beginning to end. The lucky ones left the theater first.

16. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

Well rhett, I hated High Tension, with a passion. Your review has convinced me I need to see THHE as soon as possible.

17. rhett

rhett Administrator

You may as well sneak into WHEN A STRANGER CALLS while you're at it and make it a double feature.

18. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

It's a deal.

19. lv426

lv426 New Member

Just got back from the theater. All in all it was a decent horror flick. Does anyone else feel it was like Wrong Turn, just in a desert? I'm happy that there was no cgi blood. The surround sound was freakin great in some scenes, more movies should take advantage like this one did. Oh yeah the teaser for the new Omen movie was sweet, Damien was cast perfectly....creepy kid.

20. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Ah, shit. Another remake?