The Hills Have Eyes (2006) Official Reaction Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Peter Vincent, Mar 7, 2006.

1. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

Rhett, I'm severely disappointed. As a big fan of the original, I can easily call this the best remake I've seen in a LONG time. I don't know if I'd place it with The Fly or The Thing (time will tell on that) but I enjoyed every second of it. The crowd around me got into it as well, which was a plus.

I did hear someone say, "That was a hell of a lot better than the original" which is a shame because the original is just that -- The first one. This wouldn't exist without the original. However, I have many friends who found the original TCM "boring," "tedious," and "lame" and then turned around and LOVED the remake.

Either way, both movies are great. Aja deserves a high five.

2. SirFarley

SirFarley Guest

Saw it last night. Piece of shit. Everything about it was just crap... can I get a couple of Razzies to hand out, PLEASE? Ted Levine was about the only good part about this movie... throughout the rest of the movie I was just laughing because it sucked too bad and had such terrible dialogue, pacing, and "scary" parts... I just hated the movie... I just can't describe how horrible this movie really was for me... honestly... I cannot describe how much I hate it.

EDIT: Actually I will post a picture later of how I felt after watching this...

3. Johnny Macabre

Johnny Macabre New Member

SPOILERS (kind of...):

I tought That Hills Have Eyes was a great movie ... for those who haven't seen the original. Having seen the original many times, I tought that Aja's version was too similar to his source. They was no surprises for me in this film. The same people dies, the same way as the Craven version. Even the two dogs as the same fate!

The movie is still enjoyable, but I was a little frustrated. I tough it was made for the fans of the original, but it's actualy the original with different actors. It's kind of like the psycho remake ... but at least that was the goal with Psycho!!

I also tought that the "baby kidnapping" scene was much more intense in the original. The only thing that I prefer from the remake is whe Doug kills all the mutants!!!

Here's my review in french:
    http://www.horreur-web.com/hillshaveeyes2006.html

4. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

One thing I don't get is that when a remake is close to the original people complain and say there were no surprises for them, then when a remake does incorporate new plot elements or change things around they complain about how it isnt even similar and that the producers are just cashing in on the name. You just can't win with some folks.

5. Tien21

Tien21 Guest

Well I for one thought this movie was near flawless, and I didn't mind that there wasn't much difference between this and the original. I also think this is one of the most bloody R rated films I have seen in a LOOONG time. The scenes were Doug was finding his baby were some of the best horror movie moments ever for me. "It's breakfast time" is one of the most memorable lines in a horror film EVER. The only problem I had was the casting of the young kid. He should have been a little bit older.

6. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

I enjoyed this, but maybe not quite as much as some people here. Not quite as intense in terms of scares as I was expecting, but I did have very high expectations after Tension. In any case, I thought the acting was solid all around and the gore was as well. "The town" was a cool addition, but I would have liked to have seen more done with the underground mining tunnel. Overall a 6 or 7 out of 10. Well worth seeing in the theatre, and I will be picking up the hopefully unrated dvd.

7. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I just think they shouldn't make remakes. I'm sure some struggling writers out there have some AWESOME horror scripts just aching to be made.

8. onebyone

onebyone Guest

This is the first remake they have done of a movie that I don't like. I probably wouldn't have been in a big hurry to see it, but Alexandre Aja and rhett's bad review pulled me in. Turns out, I liked this version, but am not quite sure how much yet. The movie suffered from some of the unneeded extra melodrama that I thought the original suffered from. Also, I am not really sure what they were doing

with the whole nuclear testing "You did this to us!" angle. It was presented like it was really meaningful, but the message was lost on me. It did enable them to use that creepy housing complex though, and maybe that was enough. I also wasn't too keen on the ending. Don't be afraid to just let a movie end. There doesn't always have to be room for a sequel.

Geek negativity aside, the movie looked completely fabulous and the actors were all up to task. Most importantly, Alexandre Aja showed once again that he knows how to tell a tension filled horror movie. Once things really got going, the movie was coming at you ready or not, and the promised gore and violence were actually there for a damn change. This all made it a lot of fun to watch if you like that kind of thing. I wouldn't say he topped Haute Tension with this movie, but he definitely keeps me on his bandwagon. I'll for sure be getting the unrated DVD.

The surround sound mix in this theater was a trip. The theater wasn't crowded and there was no audience noise save a few coughs every now and then. No babies, no chit chat, nothing. Hence, every last time I would hear someone breathing to the right of me, or dogs to the left of me, or a baby overhead I would get startled as it sounded like they were... right there hell there.
    That voice calling out Daddy scared the hell out of me.
    This freaked me out the whole damn movie. Awesome.

Finally, the trailer for Silent Hill was most impressive on the big screen. I am mighty excited for that one.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2006
  9. dmeister

dmeister New Member

I totally agree with Onebyone. I was never a huge fan of the original, and I even saw it at the drive-in when it first came out (there were several turn-offs for me, including the ambiguously gay son character, the prostitute-turned-cannibal clan mother, etc.). But the remake took it up a notch. I think Aja could have taken a little more liberty with the story line, since it was almost too much like the original, but overall it was a good flick. I did have a few "what the fuck were they thinking?" moments, including:

The continued foreshadowing allusions to the mine tunnel, when it was really little more than a passageway to the town where they really lived.

dmeister

10. Nasty Nate

Nasty Nate New Member

I'm a big fan of the original but had no problem whatsoever with this being remade by Aja. I loved Haute Tension. That being said I only have two gripes. The beginning credit sequence was well done but very similar to Wrong Turn's. The other thing was the kid with the IPOD with lame nu metal. I wanted to see him offed quickly so they'd stop having that crap fuck up the movie. The trailer scene was well done. Very intense. Actually made my heart race there for a minute. People were cheering in the audience at the theatre I saw it at and there was actually applause at the end of the film. An admirable effort. \m/

11. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

After seeing the original a few times I always came away thinking " It's good but they could of done more with it" Alexandre Aja did not disappoint me after big expectations following Haute Tension. I cared about the characters, the suspense and tension was spot on. It was everything I hoped the original would be. I read Ebert’s negative review, his complaint being he would have liked to learn more about the mutant family. That's fine and I personally think we learned enough. Spending too much with the family though builds up too much sympathy, which can be good but as a trade off you loose some of that fear of the unknown and allot of the tension. I do agree with rhett in that they did throw in some needles just scares but that is such a minor complaint if you look at the final product. I think Aja did Wes Craven proud with this one and I can't wait to see his next film "The Waiting". This is far ahead of any of the recent remakes only Dawn of the Dead coming remotely close. With the up and coming talents of Alexandre Aja , Rob Zombie and Neil Marshall and few others the gritty horror of the 70's that I love Is slowing starting to show it's face again.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2006
  12. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

high tension was a let down but this movie freakin rocked i loved every minute of it cant wait for the nc 17 dvd to come out in 4-5 months

13. fceurich39

also i liked the stay alive,xmen 3,silent hill trailers

and pluto kicked ass

14. Paul0889

Paul0889 New Member

according to comingsoon.net, June 20th is the day we can expect to see the DVD.

15. fceurich39

wow that would be awesome if that is the correct date already but i have a feeling if it does good at the box office it will be later

16. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

It made like 15 or 16 million this weekend I think.

17. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Saw this tonight, pretty damn good flick and a mighty fine remake. Plenty of violence and gore and horror. Thankfully, the audience didn't talk or disrupt anything like they usually do at the theatre. There were actually two couples that walked out half way through. And some girls on the lower level (we were seated first row balcony [best spot I think]) who would scream at any even somewhat scary/violent scene. It was pretty funny.

Anyway, I loved how it stuck to the story line of the orignal with some changes/add-ons to the story. I still think the original is a lot better, and a lot more realistic. The only thing that put me off with the remake is that the mutant family were less believable and real than they could have been, and they weren't as connected as a 'family unit' as they were in the original. They all seemed to be off doing their own thing instead of being the mutant family. But overall, awesome movie. 4.5 out of 5.

18. mkayers

mkayers Member

I didn't think it was too bad. It just sucks that Hollywood can't come up with an original idea on it's own anymore.

19. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I watched the original version last night and really appreciated it more then I ever did. I didn't realize how much Aja really did stick with the original script even allot of the dialogue is the same. I still think Aja improves on it and just adds more terror to an already great film. Ebert called Aja's film "a very loose remake of Wes Craven's 1977 movie of the same name"

He calls that a loose remake. Did he even watch the original?

20. ReNeGaDe

ReNeGaDe Guest

Did Gus Van Sant direct this movie?

I enjoyed it, but man this shit reminded me of "Psycho" the remake, same lines, same killings same everything. Cinemetography was superb, and the 500 fake scares got annoying after 10 minutes. Very bloody movie.

SPOILER

I hated the fact that the Democrat who never touched a gun was an expert with the shotgun

And plus, why did they leave out where they actually HEAR the noise on the CD?

Loved the rape scene