The Host - New Korean Monster Flick

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by BloodMan, Mar 9, 2006.

1. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

From the director of "Memories of Murder", Bong Joon-Ho. A monster in the Han River in Seoul pretty much. FX are being done by Weta Digital. :) :)
    Go to www.kfccinema.com to see the teaser... no monster footage at all in it though... just lotsa people running, military types and some dudes with rifles aiming at something by the river.
    A pic of it here though, some of it. :)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2006
  2. BloodMan

Found a couple more pics... Looks awesome whatever it is. :) That one there only shows chunks of the WETA concept art

Last edited: Aug 29, 2006
  3. shift

shift Hot as shit!

Bloodman... any idea when dvd will come out? Any region ok w/ me :)

Thanks

4. shift

shift Hot as shit!

Auh fuck... I answered my question

*Coming this summer (July) to Korean theaters.*

5. shift

shift Hot as shit!

I saw the trailer.

The monster is a baby Godzilla on crack. :D

6. Numania

Numania Guest

THis looks pretty cool.

7. BloodMan

8. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

Been looking forward to seeing this for some time...looks sorta Lovecraftian in some of the shots when it comes to the monster.

9. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I think I'm in love. Great news!

10. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

I've only ever seen the posters, all of which I liked and caught my attention. I'll definately be checking this out, hopefully the trailer pops up on the net soon

11. BloodMan

12. Shokk

Shokk Lord Of The Thighs

Never heard of it till now..so thanks for that,Bloodman.Looks like a good'un..the monster sounds kinda Hedorah(ish)..the toxic tadpole.

13. BloodMan

Quote from Mike D'Angelo (who? :lol:)at nerve.com from Cannes.

"Meanwhile, I'm now on a quest to find Richard Kelly, assuming he hasn't already skipped town, and force him to watch Bong Joon-ho's terrific The Host, a low-budget (by American standards) creature feature playing in the Director's Fortnight. If nothing else, he'd get an object lesson in how to yoke bitter political commentary to goofy genre mechanics without becoming fatally mired in self-indulgence. Best known for his remarkably grim police procedural Memories of Murder (widely considered one of the finest films commercially released in the U.S. last year), Bong here demonstrates a facility for virtuosic mayhem to rival Spielberg's; despite special effects that were state-of-the-art around 1993, the first appearance of the monster ranks among the most thrilling and imaginative action sequences in recent memory -- serious hold-your-breath-when-you're-not-nervously-giggling stuff. And yet it's a fair question whether Hollywood will come calling, because no major studio would ever countenance popcorn fare this determinedly bleak and despairing -- The Host makes comparatively grown-up summer flicks like War of the Worlds and Batman Begins look downright sunny by comparison. Indeed, the monster is arguably the least of beleaguered hero Song Kang-ho's problems, even though it's holding his teenage daughter in the bowels of the Seoul sewer system. A full-scale assault on governmental and military negligence and incompetence (both American and Korean), the film never allows its anger and sorrow to overwhelm our natural rooting interest in the characters and their struggles. I can only hope to see a Competition entry this impressive."
    :)

14. BloodMan

From kfccinema.com -

"Magnolia Pictures has bought multi-territory rights to "The Host," the Korean monster movie that plays in Directors' Fortnight and has arguably been the hit of the festival.

Magnolia bought North American, U.K and Australian rights. It is putting in place sub-distribution deals in the territories outside the U.S.

Sales agent Cineclick Asia had intended to sell rights on a territory-by-territory basis, but the Eamonn Bowles-headed Magnolia made a generous enough offer for a change of heart.

The Bong Joon-ho-helmed pic "has the potential to become a classic of the the genre," Bowles said. "It is a the most impressive and imaginative monster I've seen in a long time."

Cineclick also licensed the movie to France's Ocean Films, to Argentina and Brazil with Providence, to Mexico's Gussi Films, Thailand's J-Bics , Spain's Notro Films and the former Yugoslavia's Discovery Films.

Magnolia has on occasion bought multiple rights: Previously it picked up Kiyoshi Kurosawa's "Kairo" for seven territories from Miramax.

Deal was negotiated by Tom Quinn, Magnolia's head of acquisitions; Ben Stambler, acquisitions manager; and Jason Janego, head of legal and business affairs. On the Cineclick side, deal was handled by prexy Suh Young-joo and senior sales manager Sang Eun-chi."

15. BloodMan

Head on over to kfccinema.com right now. There is footage posted on the main page there of the creature in action and stuff. Obviously don't look if you don't want it's appearance spoiled for you. I looked at it... it looks... Cool. :)

16. Shokk

Shokk Lord Of The Thighs

Excellent! The creature does indeed look cool...:banana:

17. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

yep the monster looks great, really interesting, I liked how it moved, lots of character : ) anyways, this might be the first DVD I import in a loooong time, hopefully it will have Eng subs..

18. BloodMan

Holy fuck! Go over to www.kfccinema.com right now... the second trailer for this flick is up there on the main page, direct download... can't get a link. Its awesome!!!!

19. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

That trailer is fantastic. I've been looking forward to this one. I loved Memories of Murder, and there's no beating a quality monster film. Especially when the monster looks that cool.

20. shift

shift Hot as shit!

man... I wanna see it!!