The Host - New Korean Monster Flick

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by BloodMan, Mar 9, 2006.

1. shift

shift Hot as shit!

Ok, Well I finally cancelled my order w/ dvdasian.com since they kept delaying the date on my movie. So I got it off EBay from a Canada seller. I paid like 10.00 for it shipped.

I was really amazed on the xfer and Dolby Digital sound. I am sure it was a Hong Kong boot, but looks like they stole the movie and did an excellent transfer.

Ok, now I got that out of the way. Now the movie:

I was really really pumped to see this. I was expecting scary, run scared monster movie. Kind of like Godzilla in the city on a killing spree. This movie was nothing like that!! I was let down a lot. It still was enjoyable to some point, but not to my expectations. I wanted more kills, more blood, more of everything. Heck I even think that the movie called THE RELIC was more enjoyable then this one. Sorry all, but I am going to give this film a 2.7 out of 5 rating. I feel that this was an ALL HYPE movie.

Cheers.

2. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

Finally got to see this one after months of anticipation!

I can see why this movie has gotten so much attention.

A slam bang opening 15 minutes gets you right into the action. there's complicated characters, and some unexpected twists. my main complaint is that I simply hate Computer generated monsters. it takes any sense of realism and throws it in the river! that said, lots of suspense and just a good time at the movies..

enjoy!
    8.5 out of 10

3. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Saw a trailer for this in front of Pan's Labyrinth. Should have known you guys would already be on top of this. I'll see it for sure.

4. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Got passes for an advance screening tonight!

That's no guarantee though, 'cause it's limited seating, first come first served. More passes are handed out than actual seats, to ensure a full house.

Also, the Film Festival I work for is presenting it, so if it's oversold, oftentimes staff members are asked to give up their seats.

But if all goes well, I'll let y'all know how it is tomorrow!

5. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

A decent film, if not a bit over hyped. More monster mayhem would have been welcomed. 6/10

6. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Just came back from seeing this. While it didn't "blow me away" or make me rethink my political views, I definitely enjoyed it a lot. If you dig Godzilla movies, you'll love the host. Like others have mentioned, there's no tease here....you see the monster in all it's glory 10 minutes in.

And like any good monster movie, it's the human element that gives it depth. You care about the people, you like the characters. Governments use the monster to push their own agendas.

Definitely catch this in the theater, with the big screen and (hopefully) a big crowd who "gets it". There's a lot of comedic elements, so it's good when everyone laughs at the right parts. Plus, you appreciate the monster more on the big screen.

Lastly, see this BEFORE the US remake, as I can't imagine Hollywood retaining the
    ambiguous ending, and deliberate hiding of the motivations of the two governments

7. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

I saw this after picking up the 4-disc Limited Edition complete box set for $50 at DVDAsian. Great flick. I knew I'd love it, being a long time Godzilla/kaiju fan. It had everything I want in a big monster movie. I don't think I'll catch it on the big screen, but with my set up and the price I paid for the set I think I'm covered.

8. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Did this get theatrical release in the U.S.? I just heard about it (I must have overlooked this thread) and saw the trailer online. It looks great! I guess I'll have to wait and get the U.S. release DVD when it comes. I'm not paying $50 for an Asian one when I haven't seen the movie yet. Too much for a blind buy!

9. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Read about this in Rue Morgue magazine, hope to see it soon.

10. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Saw this last night. I bought the two-disc release in R2, and the transfer is absolutely stunning.

Anyway, it's good, but definately over-hyped. I'd say it's a 7 to 8 out of ten, not bad all considering. As is sometimes the case, the film really shines when the monster is on the screen, but falls of a bit when it's not. The family sequences are well done, with good characters, but sometimes the scenes go on and on. At two hours in length, I think it would have benefited from an edit or three.

Having said that, it's definately fun.

11. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

I was really taken by this. I loved the story, the actors, most of the monster-runs-amok scenes, ESPECIALLY the first scene

When they're throwing debris into the water, and then out of nowhere, the monster is seen in the distance plowing through people on land

Really cool scene. The only downside I really noticed was some of the CGI. Aside from that, I had a blast watching this.

12. Numania

Numania Guest

I agree. I enjoyed it and was not disappointed at all. However, the Harry Knowles quote on the front proves how much of an assbag he is. Saying it's as good as Jaws is an overstatement to the max.

13. onebyone

onebyone Guest

The only thing I am disappointed about is that I missed seeing it at the theater. It's so well shot it must have been amazing to see on the big screen.

I really really loved the movie, every little thing about it. It was constantly entertaining and just a joy to watch from the very start to the finish. After this and the utterly fantastic Memories of Murder, I am quite keen on the director Joon-ho Bong. He's very talented at telling a story that works on many levels while keeping the pimp hand strong on keeping you entertained. I cannot wait to see what he does next.

14. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I saw this tonight and really enjoyed it as well. The first time we get to see the monster is a great scene. The film did drag a big at times but overall not much to complain about. Good character development, really good special effects, It's a solid monster movie.

15. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Seeing it in a packed theatre... at the TIFF... full of Koreans... was amazing... that big finale you could hear people gasp at that one part... you know... that part... hahah... then cheer... it was awesome! Looked real nice too... on a giant screen...

16. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

The r1 us release comes in a few forms:

SD:

The Host (Standard Edition) (2006)
    The Host (2-Disc Collector's Edition) (2006)

HD:

The Host [Blu-ray]
    The Host [HD DVD]

17. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Show off :rolleyes:

*This eye roll is sponsored by my jealousy of your viewing of the movie, which sounds just amazing.

I am going to be cracking into these special features on the disc tomorrow. I am looking forward to it. I am especially interested in hearing more from the director.

18. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Director Bong Joon Ho was also at that screening and did a really interesting Q&A after the film too :)

19. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

I thought this was pretty solid...maybe a bit overhyped, but still a fun movie. Just good to see something other than the usual Asian ghost movie. I didn't think the CGI was too bad until the ending.

The "I'm sorry" featurette on the DVD was pretty funny too.

20. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

watched this last night. thought it is overrated. not enough monster action for me.