The Host - New Korean Monster Flick

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by BloodMan, Mar 9, 2006.

1. onebyone

onebyone Guest

:fuck: I mean how nice for you! How was it? Was he as cool as he seems? Did he hint on some new great future projects to come? His imdb list isn't as full as I would've hoped.

The special features on the 2-Disc dvd were all really good. There was a nice mix of serious information on the film and silly goodness, which fits the movie perfectly. It's a great package they put together.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2007
  2. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Overhyped, I'll agree. However, it was still pretty original and kept me interested. Would'nt want to see it a second time though, once was enough for me.

3. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

Count me in as another one who thinks this was overhyped, majorly. Dont get me wrong, I enjoyed it, it was good, but it certainly was not 'comparable to jaws' nor was it 'one of the greatest monster movies ever'. I know alot of people liked the family aspect of it, but I found it was played up a bit too much, to the point of it being less of a monster movie, and more of a family drama movie that has a monster side-story. Good movie, but certainly not worthy of 'best monster movie ever' praise.
    7 out of 10

4. geeare

geeare Guest

overhyped indeed. I did enjoy it tho and I was a little freaked out by how early they showed the monster. I thought that was a bad move at first but as it turns out it really didn't matter much. CGI was great until the end, that was just plain horrible.

5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I'm gonna have to watch this again on DVD. I'm wondering if it's more impactful on the big screen, that's why there's so many "overrated" comments in this thread coinciding with the DVD release. Of course, I too consider it overrated, but I think I enjoyed it more than a lot of people in this thread seem to.

6. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

Hey, I had a lot of fun with it. Some of the CGI was shoddy but aside from that, I got a kick out of it.

7. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

I was really happy to finally sit down to watch this. The opening was so spectacular, and the quick pay-off was a nice change. The CGI was pretty spotty at times, but that can be forgiven for how fun everything was.

Until the focus switched to the blonde-haired Jar Jar character. Wow. I thought the film came to a dead stop. What a grating character. I was all set to love The Host until the focus shifted from the family to him. To be honest, my attention really wavered and I started doing something else. Last I remember, Jar Jar was alone in some government interrogation. I couldn't take it anymore and so I reluctantly turned it off. I hate doing that, and I think I've only done it one other time this year. It was a fun film, but after a point, it quickly became a film that wasn't for me. I've seen enough of the bumbling-with-a-heart-of-gold character, who stumbles his way to success with his head down and toes pointed in.

Disappointed.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  8. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Another late post from me.

I was pretty let down by this one. The first monster attack was the only part I was really able to get into. Very well done, that.

Then the emphasis was placed heavily on the family drama. Well, that would've been just fine if it weren't for the characters being so damn quirky in an annoying way. I just couldn't bring myself to care for any of them, let alone their plight.

I thought the climax was incredibly weak, too.
    The whole vengeance on the monster scene didn't come off well, and frankly, felt too absurd. It didn't help that I felt more for the monster than I did the "heroes".

It was worth a viewing, but it ain't a patch on Memories of Murder. Now, that's a film!

9. gore

gore Guest

The humor didnt work, the emotion didnt work, the dubbing definitely didnt work, barely any monster action, a monster that looked like homer simpson, best monster movie? are you kidding me? I could go on and on but I wont. I would have a better time watching an episode of Full House. What a fucking joke. Stop hyping up garbage PLEASE!

10. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

Far from garbage, IMHO, but every one gets their say. :D

11. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Although I didn't much care for this film either, I wonder why anyone would watch it dubbed if they expected it to maintain a serious tone.

12. gore

gore Guest

Because I dont speak Japanese

13. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Can you read?

14. gore

gore Guest

No I can't, I have someone interpret the posts in the forum so I can respond. :)

15. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Many reviews of the movie have notes that the English dubbing on this movie is so bad that it gives the movie an entirely different feel than intended. Some liked it though, as it made it more campy. I am probably going to watch it with the dubbing one day, just for yucks to see if the reviews were right.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2007
  16. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Yeah... seriously... who would watch it dubbed?... gosh!

17. dwatts

dwatts New Member

You know, I just reread Gores post, and I don't think he'll like it any better in Japanese. He's on the money basically.

18. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

its Korean

19. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

Ehhh, close enough. They all look like anyway, right?