The House Of The Devil (2009)

Discussion in 'General' started by Hellbilly, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Official site & trailer here.
    Currently playing at various film festivals. According to IMDb it's coming to DVD in October, released by Magnolia.
    Looks like old school satan worship horror from the 80s.

2. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

If any of you are in Montreal, I guess it screens today at Fantasia Fest. Great cast and Larry Fessenden producing, looks fantastic.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  3. killit

killit Active Member

not bad, thanks man

4. Vdlman

Vdlman Guest

I'm looking forward to this one myself. Speaking of Fessenden/Glass Eye Pix productions, I'm also looking forward to Graham Reznick's I CAN SEE YOU coming from Kino in October, Glenn McQuaid's I SELL THE DEAD, and James Felix McKenney's SATAN HATES YOU.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2009
  5. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

Hmmm, I'll rent first.

6. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

will probably pass doesn't look that good to me anyway

7. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

That link doesn't seem to direct to the trailer anymore.

8. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Just saw the poster art for this one. Very nice.

[​IMG]

9. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I love how classic that poster looks! Brings me right back to the 70's and 80's!

10. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Nice! Very old school indeed.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  11. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Awesome poster art! I seriously want to check out the flick due to that fact alone. :evil:

12. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Cool poster.Why is it that most of the horror films that look interesting to me skulk onto DVD while 50 duds get a nice wide theatrical release each year ?

13. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Saw this a few days ago - very well done. Not spectacular, but very good. Very 80s in execution (slower, more thoughtful pacing/editing, "plainer" cinematography etc.) Definitely worth your time if you like older horror films.

14. bloodthrill

bloodthrill New Member

Can't wait to give this one a spin...too many "period" flicks that look to have been shot yesterday,(Staunton Hill,I'm talkin' to you!)...and anything harkening back to the 80s is just gravy.

15. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

I got interested in this because of the old school poster (along with The Black Waters of Echo's Pond). Watching the trailer, I got even more excited. It doesn't look like it was made in the 80s, but it looks older, and more thought put into making it feel gritty without the pointless torture trash thrown in. Can't wait to see this. :)

16. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Caught this on HDNet the other night. A college student who has just finalized a deal for her own place needs money, so she takes a babysitting job. However, it turns out that the gentleman who hired her lied. She won't be babysitting children, but instead the man's mother... or so he says. She thinks of leaving, but is offered $400 dollars and stays. She'll wish she'd just trusted her instincts.

It's worth mentioning again, the poster for this thing is a beauty. Truly a throwback to the older posters made for genre films in the 70's and 80's, it alone was enough to interest me in this movie. Alas, it doesn't live up to it's poster, though I guess that was often the case. Things start out well enough, but this is yet another film from the director of The Roost that takes a pretty threadbare plot and does little with it. After the initial setup, the film drags on and on as the lead feels uncomfortable with her surroundings. I'm a fan of slow build as much as the next guy, but there's a difference between that and being plain dull. Once we do get to the action, it's over almost as quickly as it began and it's nothing particularly out of the ordinary. Not really worth waiting that long while nothing happens. I also feel that the girl would have split pretty quickly, even if the house was in the middle of nowhere.

On the upside, Jocelin Donahue is a solid, appealing lead. I'd love to see her in more things. The atmosphere is also pretty thick at times and the thing does feel like an older style horror film. I wanted to like this one more, but Ti West needs to do a better job with pacing in the future.

17. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

this one doesn't look that good but has been getting mixed reviews the movie i am waiting for from ti west is cabin fever 2 coming to dvd in feb 2010 fingers crossed finally which has been getting alot of positive reviews

18. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

Just watched this, was entirely unimpressed. Extremely boring. The first 25 minutes of the movie could have been cut completely. And everything else up until the final scenes could have been edited down from 45 minutes to 10 easily. Even the final scenes when things finally start to happen (literally within the last 20 minutes) it's is nothing out of the ordinary, quite bland, definitely not worth the 75 minute void of nothing that takes place before it. I guess I'm just not entertained by watching a girl plod around an empty house for an hour. It also dosent help for a slow paced movie to be predictable at every turn either. This movie gives an entirely new meaning to 'slow burn'.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  19. shift

shift Hot as shit!

Saw it also and have to agree that it was very slow as aoiookami mentioned.
    The facts are legit from what cujo stated.

I love the fact this movie was shot very 80's 'ish and l love the look of the actors not being all pretty boy or barbie type ladies.

Movie could of been better but the concept / idea is there and love to see more movies shot in this style.

20. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Now this is how you do a throwback. Nice atmosphere, good tension and attention to detail. It didn't find it boring in the slightest, on the contrary I actually felt it ended too quickly. It brought me back to the those slow burn early 80's films more then any film I've seen try. The only negative I could think of is I thought they could of tormented her further to justify the ending a little more. Other then that great stuff and better then I ever expected it would be.