The House Of The Devil (2009)

Discussion in 'General' started by Hellbilly, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    You have such good points Pi!! I finally watched this last night and it was so slow paced, but that really didn't bother me, as for some reason, it was entertaining. When it finally sped up, it was a cool ride, but that ending??? It really bothered me!! I think this film could grow on me regardless, but though I'm not as critical as Pi, he had really valid arguments, especially about that ending, which was really stupid!! This point is so true!!

the heroine kills herself after escaping this terrifying ordeal. I'll just say this: AS IF you'd shoot yourself in the head after barely escaping just because some lunatic psycho told you that the devil was coming for you. Especially since THERE WAS NO INDICATION OF ANYTHING COMING AFTER HER. On top of that, she was such a strong character, so why would she do this??? And the very end, where she survives and she's been impregnated?? That was just too hard to take for me!

2. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

For me having the right tone is the most under appreciated aspect of film making, maybe because it's so hard to do but I think it's more important then even the plot itself. When a director gets it right it can made a mediocre film into a very good one. Ti West got it right.

I don't completely disagree with you about he ending but the rest of the film simply works. It had the right feel and atmosphere for an early 80's nostalgia piece. The main girl felt right and I disagree with you about the lack of suspense. I thought the director did a good job with creating it. The way I see it, a bunch of directors have tried to capture the feel of this "golden age" of horror. He did better then anyone and I had fun with it. That's more then I expected.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  3. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

I agree Ash!

I've always joked that instead of being a gorehound, I'm an atmosphere-hound, because I think in horror, that is the most important thing about it. That's probably why I find most horror films made today dispicable, because they have no art or style about them - nothing eerie, just overthetop. Which can be fine for some tastes, but when films like The Astro-Zombies, pieces of crap essentially, are mixed in with an eerie tone, it makes the score skyrocket!

Though personally, I never felt like House of the Devil had an 80s tone, just that it was obviously set there, it did still have 'a' tone that lent its helping hand to the production, and why most people can endure its length of nothingness. I will post some pictures from Death Proof, a movie that I think fails in delivering goods for retro horror or thriller fans, but has some beautiful shots. Sec.

Also. Bring on Thanksgiving! Of all Grindhouse trailers, that was the only one that didn't look like it was scratched up after being shot in hi-def. >.> Ee!

4. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree with you there. I didn't get an 80's film vibe from it so much as I got an Indie Film vibe. If this was made 15 or 16 years ago I can totally envision Parker Posey in the lead role.

5. 2D4EVER

2D4EVER Guest

This is a bit OT again but I think this movie needs to be recognized more by horror fans since I see hardly any discussion about it anywhere: Meat Grinder.

Yes it looks like a gorefest and there is quite a bit of it but everything you mentioned and them some is also present. Beautifully constructed and haunting shots are present as well as super tense moments that required zero aid from loud jump scares. In fact one sequence as I said in that semi review is almost silent except for the characters movements and breathing and it easily manages to be more tense than most hollywood horror movies.

6. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

I completely agree with you. I am on the same boat that thinks House of the Devil has an atmosphere about it. I just don't think that it is the same kind relinquished from 80s flicks.

7. I haven't seen the film since its Frightfest screening last August, so my memory's a little fuzzy, but...

... isn't the whole reason she shoots herself is because Tom Noonan tells her that she's just been impregnated with the Antichrist? Killing yourself, and thus preventing the Devil's son being born and destroying the world, is a pretty noble reason to try and kill yourself, wouldn't you agree?

But hey, I dug the flick a hell of a lot - never been one to fixate on plot holes and the like if the right atmosphere gets conjured up - and it was probably the most genuinely frightening film I saw at Frightfest '09.

8. meljon

meljon New Member

What I can't understand is when people on here complain about plot or logic . I hear alot of those kind of complaints from people who don't like the genre and alot of times their right. I would think all of us here on this site would know what to expect from most horror movies. If you don't like the movie thats cool but to complain about thoses type of things is wierd to me. I love The Shining but I also think Anthropohagus is great too. They are 2 very different films but both are what they are and I appreciate that. Also if any one can explain the plot to The Beyond or Possession, two more of my favorites, I'd love to hear it because I don't know what the hell is going in those movies but I can still enjoy them. And to complain about horror movie logic, come on. If nobody kept going to Crystal Lake or kept opening the box in Hellraiser or any other number of stupid things they do in horror films we would have no genre. None of these films are The Godfather or Citizen Kane but thats why I like them and I can definitely watch these bad horror films alot more times then those films. I guess what I am trying to say is if you don't like the film, fine, but making statements like I don't see how anyone can just sounds wrong to me and complaining about plot and logic when most of the films discussed here contain very little or none sounds silly.

9. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

ok, so I started writing this long long reply about 'logic', 'realism' and 'real fans' of the genre, but I figured I'd either be misunderstood, attacked or whatever.

So I'll just say this:

Since when did it become necessary for horror fans to disregard plot and logic?

I'm not saying ALL horror films should be perfectly plotted and logical, but applauding them for not being logical and well plotted? Really?

I see this argument all the time on these forums and I have to say: bad argument. You're basically arguing that the film's lack of quality is what makes it better.

I'll agree that The Beyond, F13 movies etc (not Hellraiser, though) have serious plotting/logic 'flaws' (although I'm not sure flaws is the right words to use here), but unless you're claiming that these films are good BECAUSE they were plotless/not logical, I don't really see your point.

These films made up for their lack of logic or dreamlike plot by having that either be the point and/or by giving us something else in return. Entertainment, for example.

House of the Devil gives us nothing in return. I can't forgive that so easily.

10. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Wording my argument a little better:

I think there's a big difference between suspension of disbelief, or at least respecting the 'rules' of the world any given film creates, and just being completely illogical ... And I hope hope hope people at least agree on that.

11. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Amen to that!!

You know Pi, I was thinking about some of your points. I didn't hate it like you did, but you're still totally right and I hate the ending, here are some thoughts to ponder.

... this film is about a babysitter who gets tricked into this house. The people who trick her leave the house, and she gets tricked into ordering a pizza so she can pass out after 45 minutes of doing nothing, only to wake up and find the people who did the tricking being all satanic and fucked up?

This all had to do with the lunar eclipse, so maybe they had to wait for a certain time?

'Mother' (what was she? an alien?), the fact that they dragged the best friend's corpse into the house just to have it bleed all over the kitchen floor (good idea!), or the fact that they simply killed the best friend instead of kidnapping her as well (especially since they were so concerned at the start about not getting anyone to show up ...)

I guess they could have dumped the body anywhere, but they had to hide it and they figured they were going to ditch the house afterwards anyway. There were all the other bodies there as well.

Anyway, that's my thoughts on those things. Maybe I'm putting too much thought into them and I shouldn't have to!!

12. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I'm pretty sure she killed herself for similar reasons that father Karras did. She got raped by that skin faced guy and I think there was a scene where her belly had all these black veins on it, kinda like Evil Dead when they get possessed. I found it abrupt, but I'm pretty sure she knew that Red Dragon guy was telling the truth.

13. meljon

meljon New Member

I never said that any movie should be applauded for being bad. That's totally up to the person watching it. I have a problem with people saying it can't have any value because it's plotless or illogical. I was entertained by the film and I don't think anything is wrong with that. I'm the first to admit that I like some bad films.

I think it's funny that you're trying to convince people that they shouldn't like a film because it doesn't meet your expectations of what an entertaining film should be. If you wanna be less forgiving of horror films thats fine, but I'm glad I can be. That just means that I will probably enjoy them a lot more then you.

There is a reason films like Psycho, The Shining and The Excorcist (which I own and watch often, I love em) are held in such high regard because they are the exception rather then the rule and for every one of those films you have 50 House of the Devils. Is this a good thing? I dont know. In fact, who has the right to say if it is or is not especially if I can sit down and watch Psycho and House of the Devil and have a very enjoyable, entertaining night of film watching? I don't think House of the Devil is a classic in any way, but I did find it enjoyable.

I don't really care if anyone likes what I like, but it does bother me when someone says I should like or dislike something because of the reasons they say. The people that say they were bored or thought it was stupid doesn't really bother me, because that's their opinion. If you don't like it because you think it's bad thats cool, but that too is just your opinion.

14. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

I never said you should like/dislike House of the Devil because of the reasons I disliked it. Those were the reasons why *I* disliked it - I only said I didn't understand it that people just dismissed those flaws. I still don't understand it, but I can respect it. (well ... sort of)

Also I never said a film "can't have any value because it's plotless or illogical", I said HOTD was awful because it was plotless and illogical. There's plenty of films that I like that I'll never go on record as saying that they have beautifully written scripts and make all the sense in the world, but they made up for those flaws with other things. HOTD didn't make up for anything with anything.

In my humble opinion.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  15. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

And I just have to respond to this:

You can say that about any film in any genre. You can say that about the film industry in general. For any really good film that comes out, there are thousands of awful ones.

I don't think horror should be exempt from any standards. There's plenty of well made horror films that come out, and I think we should salute those instead of the inept ones. Who knows, perhaps it'll be an incentive for future filmmakers to do better films? I'm just sayin' ...

I love my fair share of bad, old horror movies. But I can't see any reason why anyone would bother to make new bad horror movies. It's just strikes me as singularly dumb and awful careerwise. But each to their own. If that's the kind of film Ti West wants to do for the rest of his career, I won't stop him.

16. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Well yes... and no.

Genre movies (horror, sci-fi) can ALWAYS be picked apart for logic/plot issues. Very few survive that scrutiny. I mean I love Suspiria but logical? No. Halloween, logical? No. So I think you have to kind of check you reality expectations at the door and enjoy the ride. I personally LOVED House of the Devil. And the truth is there is so much left unanswered about motive, etc. in HOTD that we can't say for sure why things happen or why characters react the way they do.

17. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Finally got to watch this and I really enjoyed it. No nitpicking or complaints from me. Loved every minute. Fun flick and great throwback to the 80s.

18. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

This will be airing on MTV on Saturday, March 27th. 10PM with an encore at midnight.

19. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

While I had no idea MTV was even remotely relevant anymore I'm glad to see a solid genre film like HotD getting major play on a network channel. Here's hoping this showing gets more people stoked for the sequel! :)

20. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Same here, but people are getting a heavily edited tv version of this rated R movie.