The House Of The Devil (2009)

Discussion in 'General' started by Hellbilly, Jul 26, 2009.

1. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Member

Anyone know when it will be on because I don't think it played on March 27.

2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

They swapped it out with 16 & Pregnant at the last minute. No word on if they will actually be airing it now.

3. g0mang071

g0mang071 New Member

Here is my take and I've watched this about 5 times already so I do like it very much and no I will not give away the movie or main plot points - so this is essentially spoiler free, I hope:

It has a great eerie score. It seems like there are 2 main themes that weave through the film and of course over the credits. No damn loud punctuations of a some generic faceless horror score over every scary scene to induce fright and no nu metal. I watched enough of the commentary to know this was a difficult part to do when putting together the film. I don't usually watch commentaries as it ruins the magic for me and I turned this one off at the beginning.

I got more of a feel for the main girl's background - I got the feeling that she was alone and didn't have much of a support system and maybe no family. I think they will block out my reasons but just watch the film again and you'll see what I'm talking about. This didn't present itself on the first couple watches.

I love the way the progressing eclipse is used to show the passage of time and as a background for the story. There are some very nice visuals here.

No pretty faced headshot model GQ /Vogue type of people that seem to litter today's horror. While the girls are pretty, there is so much more depth to their characters than your typical sorostitute horror babe. Can you say utterly annoying?

No CGI, cellphones, Facebook, (Twit)ter or modern annoying bullshit. God damn, I miss the 80's.

One of the great joys of this film is it's subtlety. Anyway, I highly recommend this flick and if you didn't like it , good for you...

4. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Only way to please some people is too add explosions, titties and car chases. Then maybe just maybe they might bump the film up from a D+ to C-.

Forgot too add I have the attention span of a 4 year old so I understand! xoxo :lol:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  5. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

Finally got around to watching this, a bit behind the times these days. And I probably won't add a lot to the already old discussion. But...

I gotta say that I really liked this a lot. I'm not holding it up as a masterpiece of modern horror. But it definitely was one of the nicer little surprises of the past few years. And, it's the first recent film since "The Signal" that I even felt the desire to write about or recommend.

Yes, it takes its time. And, yeah, I'll admit that I was hoping for a bit more in the ending. But that was mainly due to how well all the tension was slowly ratcheted up, which I think was handled really well. In many ways, I kept thinking of what Bava said about Black Sabbath in that all he needed to make a horror film was woman alone in a room. And HotD did a really good job of that in my opinion.

I didn't really see any problems with logic. I think there is enough implication to explain most (if not all) of the things that _pi_ (and maybe others) had issues with.

It definitely has a Rosemary's Baby or Shining vibe to it, but on a much lower budget and scale. This is not a film about shocking imagery as much as it is a film about space and little things being slightly off. One of the things that really stood out for me was how well the house was used as a location. Not in a Mario Bava, creepy set sort of way, but more in the ways that they placed the camera to slowly disorient you in terms of the spatial relationships.

Also, I think the fact that Larry Fessenden produced this is a good indicator of how it functions as a film. I think if you like his stuff, you'd probably appreciate this film. Not that I think they are similar in style, but there is the same sort of streamlined, character-driven elegance in approach.

6. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Character driven? Really? Are we talking about the main girl here? Just because the camera stays focused on one person without that person actually doing anything for 90 minutes doesn't make the film character driven. If you can sum up her characters in more than half a sentence, I'll be impressed.

And when you say that there were enough implications to explain the things I had problems with .. I just don't buy that. What implications? I'm not saying my opinion of the film is the right one, but unless I missed something huge and important, all of the plot holes I mentioned are still in the movie and still make no sense.

7. Chunkblower

Chunkblower Member

I can't disagree with most of the criticism levelled at House of the Devil, especially with regards to story, pacing and characters, but I was a sucker for the retro vibe the movie was pimping.

8. I saw this a few months ago and the only thing I can remember about it was that it was completely boring.

9. cazzasguy

cazzasguy Member

Must watch this movie tonight, it's on yet another disc I bought several weeks ago which is still wrapped in cellophane. Three friends whose opinion I respect liked the film, but I'm rather cynical about modern horrors. Looking forward to the retro theme though.

10. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

This was a great movie- really really enjoyed it

11. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

Sorry for the delayed response. I didn't realize that you had replied until yesterday.

Well, by "character driven" I mean that this is a film based heavily on the characters as opposed to effects or shocking imagery. I think that the main girl is a pretty well established character. I liked her. I got her situation. I understood why she would take such a bizarre job. And I thought she exuded a decent bit of believable personality while she was "doing nothing" in the house. Additionally, all of the tension that I felt in the first half (and I guess you didn't) came from the bizarre little actions and mannerisms of Noonan and Woronov.

As to the plot holes:

Why didn't they just abduct her in the beginning? For one, in both horror films and in the cases of satanic panic that actually happened in the 70s, drugging participants for rituals is just something that happens. I can't really say why. None of the satanists I know have ever tried any of these rituals. But, for precedent, why didn't they just whack Rosemary over the head and let Satan rape her in Polanski's film. So, while I can't explain the logic behind it, it is not unusual of a trope in Devil films. If I have to try to justify it, I'd say that there must be some part of the ritual that calls for a "willing" participant. Drugs are used to make the victim more susceptible. I certainly think that was the case with "Rosemary's Baby" and "To the Devil a Daughter".

Why did the Satanists leave the house? I just thought they were getting the rest of the ritual underway. These things do take time, you know. We know that they are still in the house as we hear them moving around. So, I just felt that they were going through the rest of the preparation. We do know that they arranged the bodies of the dead house owners while the babysitter was in the house. We know that because the babysitter goes up to the door investigating the noises from that room.

Why didn't they grab the babysitter's friend? Again, I think it goes with part of the ritual. Noonan says that she was "chosen" for this. So, I believe that the fact that she was the one to answer the ad is a sign of her "chosen-ness" I'd also add that Noonan did say that they rejected another woman who did reply to the same ad as "unacceptable." That leads me to think that there was something about the babysitter that made her unique. Also, while I can't say for certain, I was under the impression that she was a virgin, which her friend is definitely not. As to how the Satanists would know that, I'd just say they were magical people.

Why did they drag the friend's body back to the house? She was approached in the car because the bearded guy thought that she was the babysitter. Once he realized his mistake he shot her. No witnesses. Dragging her back to the house makes sense in that this is a night when there are lots of people out looking at the eclipse. Leaving her body somewhere else would increase the chances of it being found. So, to me it makes sense to drag the body back to the house rather than leaving it in the car on the side of the road or in the cemetery.

What was the "Mother"? Actually, I thought that was some sort of demonic imp that was somehow responsible for impregnating her.

Why did she shoot herself after escaping? As mentioned elsewhere, she knew she was pregnant with spawn of Satan and that there was no escape from that. Hence, suicide as escape or self-sacrifice for the safety of humanity.

The layout of the house - this was actually one of the things that I thought they handled extremely well. In the beginning I had a pretty good idea of the spacial relationships of the rooms. But, as the film progressed, they started shifting the angles so that it was not immediately apparent what room the baby sitter was in. I thought this added a nice sense of disorientation and was very effective.

I think that was everything.

12. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Thank you, Anaestheus. Very well put. I assumed pretty much the same things as far as the plot went; frankly, one of the things I loved about this movie was that it didn't feel the need to spoon-feed us every fucking piece of motivation! I am a sucker for open-ended stories, horror or otherwise.

13. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I just got around to watching the Blu, and I loved this flick! The 80's atmosphere feel is there hardcore, and it's done very well. I thought it even had that same kinda pace from that era, but taken up a slight notch to make it more intriguing. Some definite creepy moments - the doorbell scared the crap outta me when the pizza came. A bit much of the random "grain effect" sometimes though - that's really my only complaint if at all. Overall excellent movie. Sequel please!

14. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I love the 80's vibe to it but the whole thing felt like a short film stretched to 90 minutes. Didn't really work for me but I can see the appeal.

15. Spit

Spit Active Member

I watched this twice about 2 months ago, and in the end just had a kind of 'Meh' feeling about it. But I seriously can't stop thinking about that last scene with the old man and Samantha.

I was looking for quotas out of that conversation and came across this
    http://www.100thingsilearned.com/view.php?id=910
    Some of them made me laugh.

I think I'm gonna pick up a used copy of HoD at Hastings tonight.

16. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Really enjoyed this one. It is slow paced and I could see that being a turn off for some, but I personally was enthralled the whole time I was watching it. I really liked the characters and the sense of dread that was throughout the movie was very well done. Can't wait to watch it again.

17. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

This was labeled at $14 at Bestbuy today but it rang up for $5.

If youre on the fence for five bucks fuck it.

18. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Totally agree. I felt the film was a 30 minute short and they stretttttttttched it out to 95 minutes. Also absolutely nothing new to offer. I may have enjoyed it 20 years ago but thought it was mediocre at best.

19. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

I just saw this tonight and thought it was excellent. They captured the 80s perfectly. I had to check to see that it hadn't been made in 1982 or so. Actually, I thought it might have been the movie that Babysitter Wanted was a remake of - that's how well they captured the retro feel.

The movie itself was good too - I knew what was going to happen (the story is very similar to Babysitter Wanted), but the atmosphere was so thick and spooky that I enjoyed the ride.

20. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Loved.......the.....slow.....pace....
    No Platinum Dunes here, babay!