The House on Haunted Hill - Another Castle Classic

Discussion in 'Classic' started by wgdavis, Apr 14, 2004.

1. wgdavis

wgdavis Guest

I just watched this on a cheapo-DVD set (50 movies, $25, 12 double sided DVD's) from Treeline. I won't comment on the transfer, but I will say it was as good as I remember when I last saw it, late at night on a UHF station.

This is classic "Creepy" horror - no blood, hilarious "special effects", and no real supernatural. It strikes me (now) more as film noir rather than true horror. But I still can't wait to sit through it with my 12 year old. :glasses:

It may be nostalgia, but this is still what I think of when I think of 'horror' - plot twists, tension, not knowing what is real, fake, or imagined. Certainly not frightening, but a fun, campy movie.

better than "The Tingler". :lol:

2. dwatts

dwatts New Member

--better than "The Tingler"--

No way! Equally as good, surely? ;)

Are there any decent transfers of this?

3. wgdavis

wgdavis Guest

How about "Suspension of disbelief was not required to the extent that it was in 'The Tingler'"? Not that the Skeleton was believable, but at least there was no scientific mumbo-jumbo. But then again, I wasn't getting my butt jolted during parts of the movie... :nervous:

I think Castle had a glow-in-the-dark skeleton 'fly' over the audience when this was in the theatres. Would have gotten my attention. :eek2:

I have only seen public domain type transfers of "House on Haunted Hill" (Alpha, Madecy, Front Row, Good Times, St. Claire), but there is a Warner DVD available, so it might be worth tracking down.

4. SilentScreams

SilentScreams Member

I hear the Warner DVD is really good and the best out there.

5. Jimbo

Jimbo The Bloodstained Shadow

Indeed the warner dvd is the best i have seen it so far.

6. Horrorfan

Horrorfan New Member

I have the warner release it's a definite buy for horror fans