The Houses that October Built

Discussion in 'General' started by Mok, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

[​IMG]

If you are someone that can't enjoy a film because your expectations were too high, turn back now because I'm about to gush. Don't read this as a review so much as a high recommendation.

I can confirm that this film is as great as it appears to be from the trailer. It proves that there is still greatness to be had from the "Found Footage" horror genre.

The Houses that October Built is a film about our fascination with wanting to chase after something that feels real. Something that actually scares us and makes us feel like a kid again. Will watching it make you feel that way? It actually doesn't have to, but it may. The point is, there is an impressive enough level of realism here that it should be praised on that alone. There were moments that I felt like I was watching a documentary rather than a found footage horror film which is a testament to the exceptional filmmaking that went into this.

I'll leave the synapsis to the trailer. What you see here is pretty much what you're in for:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yedl4lY9VgM

It keeps you guessing throughout. The events that unfold seem to straddle a fine line between something meant to scare and something more sinister.

I hope to come back to this thread at one point and discuss or perhaps defend aspects of this. There is slightly more than meets the eye here in terms of plot and when you consider all the parts that needed to work together. If you were going to compare it to something like Blair Witch, it would be fair to say, this had a lot more planning involved and room for error and so the achievement here could arguably be greater. Blair Witch paved the way for something like this to be made but this handsomely touches the bar that was set.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  2. SpaceAce

SpaceAce Member

I wish they would release a blu or even a DVD already....

3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Great title, great premise, but I hope that trailer isn't indicative of the movie because it looks pretty unimpressive.

4. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I was immediately drawn to the poster, but seeing that it's another assembly line product of the Parannoying Activity Factory I knew to stay far away. And that you saying it's another played out found footage film confirms it for me.

5. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

If the trailer doesn't entice you, then yes, stay away.

6. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Active Member

Saw this the other night. It was good, not great. I wasn't thrilled wih the ending, but as a movie set on Halloween, it's worth a watch. There's some good stuff, especially in the CCTV haunted house footage of real visitors!

I'd probably buy a BD, if and when it's released.

7. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

damn, do not see showtimes in Seattle.

8. Christy

Christy Member

I have this on a Screener DVD will watch it later tonight. My expectations are very low so I won't complain disappointment.

9. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

This was a really fun movie. It had the right atmosphere and authenticity for me, and the cast of characters were all likeable (something hard to come by in modern horror). My one big complaint would have to be the ending. I won't give anything away but the ending felt really cheap and unsuspenseful. After all the build up I really thought I was in for a real free for all, but what I got was next to nothing. A watchable film all around if you like found footage films.

10. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Active Member

Yep!

11. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

Damn. This isn't playing near me any more. After the good reviews on this site, I would like to have checked it out. I thought it would stick around longer, as my nearest multiplex seems a bit desperate for content (30 screens to fill).

12. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

In regards to the ending:
    What I love about the end is that it leaves you wondering if the Blue Skeleton crew would eventually drop the shroud. They never really confirm one way or another whether these characters befall some horrible demise or if they are allowed out and are maybe even complicit in the release of the film. They cut away before you see anything definitive and the tension of waiting to see exactly how far things would go was what riveted me. I admittedly felt it ended abruptly and waited through the credits to see if they would reveal one way or another. I'm actually glad they didn't. You're supposed to suspend your disbelief and play along and had they shown someone actually dying, it would have undermined the whole thing because there's no way it could be a snuff film. That's a point that one could argue for the end to Blair Witch, which also needed to avoid showing anyone dying to maintain ambiguity. I think Houses October Built pulled it off better because you know it's the villains who are depriving you. Blue Skeleton decided how much you got to see. What they present to you works in their favour. It leaves you wanting more on purpose.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  13. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

14. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Dying to see this film!

15. burieddeep

burieddeep Dr. Obrero

I liked it...the ending leaves you wondering if it was literally the end of the group or was it just the most extreme haunt. I certainly wouldn't want it to go that far.

16. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Just watched it. What a waste of 1 1/2 hours of my life!

17. SpaceAce

SpaceAce Member

Looks like a DVD comes out January 6, 2015. They should have released it this last September/October, it would have sold much better.

18. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

19. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Yeah I felt really disappointed after watching this also. I was dying to see this the trailer looked pretty cool. The film just left me feeling empty no way I'll ever see this again.

20. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Comes out on home video tomorrow.