The Houses that October Built

Discussion in 'General' started by Mok, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Thought the same exact thing........low expectations for sure.

2. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

3. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

4. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Since I have the first film on DVD I might as well get the sequel comes out Jan 2 Walmart should carry the DVD for 9.96 not sure about bluray I know best buy will have the bluray

5. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I'll comment here rather than starting a new thread.

I'd been seeing some recent buzz about Hell House LLC, especially on FB, so decided to give this a watch on Prime. I really don't get what the buzz is about, I thought it was just another generic found-footage movie. An hour and 15 minutes of characters running around saying fuck every other word, followed by 15 minutes of okay horror that wasn't really worth sitting through the previous hour and 15 minutes to get to. I'd suggest the similar but excellent "10/31/98" from V/H/S instead. It gets right to the point.

Also, one of the lead characters (Tony) just completely disappears from the movie. Which is really weird, because they have the big scene where he gets fed up and storms off, only to be lured back to work during the lengthy but vague emotional bro scene in the grass. I don't know if the actor quit on them, or if it's just lazy filmmaking.

I'd probably say it's on par with the Houses October Built movies, only with more likable characters. It looks like a sequel has already been made, so expect that soon.

6. CPT HOOK

Off topic (aren't I always), but again, didn't think it deserved a new thread.

The sequel to Hell House LLC, titled Hell House LLC II: The Abaddon Hotel, is now available on SHUDDER.

Maybe, if I'm bored enough.

[​IMG]

othervoice1 likes this.
  7. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I enjoyed the first hell house, I'll give the sequel a go, hopefully it's better that the October sequel which just felt pointless.

8. CPT HOOK

I watched Hell House LLC II: The Abaddon Hotel on SHUDDER, and I actually kind of liked it as a goofy guilty pleasure. WAY better than the first. I just saw the first in July, and going into this one, I couldn't remember a thing about it. I couldn't even remember the guy who returns as the lead in this one. But whatever, it really didn't matter. They recap well enough throughout.

The first movie (and most found-footage movies) make you sit through an hour and 15 minutes of nothing for 15 measly minutes of pay-off. Not the case here. It's very well paced, and there is stuff going on throughout the entire movie. We have our main group of characters who end up going back to the house, and go figure all hell breaks loose (this time starting early, around the 45 minute mark).

What kept the movie fun was that the events of the first movie had made the Abaddon Hotel a major ghost story, and between the two movies people had been sneaking into the place and having their own ghostly encounters. So during the set-up, we get occasional little segments of people's spooky encounters from sneaking into the Abaddon Hotel. Basically, it's a bunch of little scary movies within the bigger scary movie to keep the momentum going. Fun format, definitely kept me entertained.

I also enjoyed the ending reveal, which gives us the bigger picture of what is really going on in the Abaddon Hotel (even though it's something that has been done in many other movies, but it's done well here). The whole thing is just campy, ridiculous, and hard to take seriously, but it's all in fun. For me, this had the fun the first was sorely lacking.

I wouldn't buy it or watch it again or anything, but it was perfect for a SHUDDER viewing. Looking forward to some of their October exclusives, especially The Witch In The Window.

9. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Very annoyed, my wife has signed up to free trial of shudder here in the UK, via Amazon, just gone on to watch it and it's not there WTF! Not gonna start paying if we ain't getting the content!

10. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I managed to watch it, while I enjoyed it I preferred the original, I still found parts of this creepy and effective, but I didn't buy Mitchell going back to the house, he went back too easily, and the ending was a little weak compared to the original.

If you enjoyed the first it's worth a look, both are a lot more effective than a lot of the other found footage movies.