The Indestructible Man

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Horrorfan, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Horrorfan

Horrorfan New Member

Has anyone ever seen this film? I haven't and im thinking about picking it up on dvd. So does anyone have a version they recomend?

2. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Lon Chaney Jr? I have it - I have the Alpha disc actually. I think there's also an Image version.

As for the film, it's a nice little bit of sci-fi nonsense. Chaney looks like he might die on set at any moment, and there's no real SFX in it. But it is fun in a Saturday afternoon matinee kind of way. I enjoyed it for what it is - a cheap excursion.

However, the Alpha disc is complete shite. I can't recommend it. Brentwood quality. Whatever the other versions are, they have got to be better than this!

3. Horrorfan

Horrorfan New Member

yeah shite but good price. oh well I will find a good one.

4. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

You might want to try the Roan disc, which also has The Amazing Transparent Man. From what I recall, the transfers were fine, but I watched it a while back so I wouldn't want to try and comment more specifically on it. I'll try to revisit it this week sometime for ya.

5. Horrorfan

Horrorfan New Member

thanks im looking forward to it.

6. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

HF, sorry for the wait...

Sat down last night and did a spot check on the movie. I didn't watch the whole thing, but scanning over it, it seems to me to be a very watchable bargain priced disc. That's not to say it's without it's flaws. There are three constants throughout the film; there is considerable grain to the transfer, the image is slightly soft, especially in wide angle shots, and there is a minimal but constant level of dust (specks, fibers) on the print. However, I didn't find any of this distracting once I put down the proverbial magnifying glass and 'got into' the movie. Also, the sound is uneven, changing in volume and clarity a few times. It's not a drastic change, but it is noticable.

I have no idea how it compares to the Alpha disc, but from what I've heard about that company's discs overall, I tend to believe Carry Roan puts more effort into his releases. I would say Indestructable Man/Amazing Transparent Man is worth a purchase, especially if you get in on the Roan sale (ends Feb. 2nd) at www.troma.com). Shipping is a bitch, but if you order a few titles, it spreads out a little and isn't so hard to take.

Hope that helps!