The Keep

Discussion in 'General' started by Cujo108, Mar 19, 2003.

1. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

This is a great little film with a pretty damn good cast! Gabriel Byrne, Jurgen Prochnow, and Ian McKellan are all favorites of mine, and they all give superb performances.

The premise is cool with Nazi's facing an ancient evil demon. The music for this film has a nice bizarre, fantasy-like quality to it which I love. The demon is a pretty neat bastard too.

Some parts of the film were a little confusing, but overall I really liked it! Paramount is scheduled to release this gem on DVD some time in 2003, and I hope they let Michael Mann have an opportunity to have his director's cut included, as a lot was unfortunately cut from this film, and that's probably why it is confusing at parts like I stated above, but knowing those Paramount jerkoffs, I severely doubt it'll happen. Anyhow, any thoughts on this film?

2. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

I'm glad to see that a release date has been announced but expect jackshit on it as it is Paramount afterall. It is an even better book (the creature has a better explanation and the relationship between it and the doctor are more defined, plus its less of a creature than a vampire (nice Lovecraft influences too) But Mann always takes liberties with his adaptations (as did Kubrick) and as a film it stands up pretty well compared to the work it was adapted from, even though both are radically different from each other.

3. dmeister

dmeister New Member

I saw this movie many moons ago. Maybe it was because it was late at night and I was tired, but I didn't really understand what the hell was going on. Or who the hell Jergie's character was supposed to be.

dmeister

4. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

I LOVE THAT FILM!
    The Tangerine dream sountrack kicks ass and I'll buy a dvd of that film, no matter who puts it out. I'm a victim, so shoot me!

5. Damed

Damed Guest

The book series was incredible, and I have yet to see the movie - largely due to the fact that F. Paul Wilson, the author, absolutely detests it - which is the only opinion I had ever heard on it, so maybe I will have alook now that it is coming out on DVD

6. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

Be warned Damed, it is a much different entity than the book (I've read the entire series, but to be honest the books beyond the first one were quite forgettable IMO). It is MUCH different than the book, so keep an open mind.

7. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

8. jeffschmidt

jeffschmidt Guest

Whoa, there's more than 1 book? I just finished reading the first one & really liked it. I have yet to see the movie.

What are the other books about? (in general - no spoilers, please!)

9. Broken

Broken Guest

Yes! I have been checking once a month to see if this was getting a release.

10. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Apparently, we were somewhat close to having The Keep on Blu-Ray this October...

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=13952292#post13952292

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=13952461#post13952461

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=13952464#post13952464

Ugh...:mad:

11. gobad2003

gobad2003 Active Member

Ughh, That really sucks :mad: I really need the Keep in my collection

Steel76 likes this.
  12. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Feels like we have to wait for Michael Mann to drop dead, before we get a proper release of the damn movie...

I know that he hates the movie, but for fucks sake...

They've tried to release the movie on DVD for years, but every damn time, they hit a road block.

The best version out there, is an upscale from the old Laserdisc transfer, on Netflix.

It's like waiting for an official release on Blu-Ray of the original Star Wars versions, it will never happen.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  13. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I actually watched this again a few days days ago and though visually impressive at times I found it kinda of slow and dull over all. Some of it feels oddly like a tv movie.
    Anyway I'm glad I gave it another look as I can save some cash when this does eventually get a release.

14. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

thats so frustrating! im almost finished reading the novel, and this would have been perfect news for me right now!