"THE KILLER IS DRIVING THE AMBULANCE!" Cliché (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by TheWZA, Jan 1, 2017.

1. TheWZA

TheWZA Active Member

I just finished re-watching New Year's Evil for the umpteenth time. The movie concludes with the protagonist, having suffered unspeakable physical and psychological trauma, being swiftly ushered into an ambulance and dispatched to much-needed medical assistance.

Only it turns out that her (presumably) psychotic son is in the driver's seat, sporting the same creepy Stan Laurel mask that his serial killer father was wearing when he plummeted to his death moments earlier. The implication is that she is ultimately doomed, and the end credits roll.

Obviously we have all seen this clichéd ending before. In the past few weeks I've revisited Hide And Go Shriek and Happy Hell Night, both of which have similar endings. Viewing all of these movies in close proximity to one another has only served to emphasize this common horror movie trope.

My questions are:

- Where did this often-imitated denouement originate? Is there a particular film that did this first?

- What other films employ this specific device?

I don't know if this is interesting to anyone else, but I know this forum is the best place to ask.

Workshed likes this.
  2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

As soon as I read the thread title, I thought "somebody just watched their Hide & Go Shriek blu-ray..." :p

Lover's Lane is the only other one that comes to mind right now. I'll look through my collection when I get home and see if that triggers anything.

[​IMG]

Although it's not exactly the same thing, Killer Party and Sleepaway Camp 3 also have ambulance endings where the killer is still alive (just not behind the wheel).

3. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Not sure , but that was a police car I thought. Either way, it's the same idea with the driver, etc...

The Burbs
    ... :)

And not behind the wheel but the ending to Joyride (2001)....

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  4. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Active Member

Wasn't the ending of the Twilight Zone movie kind of like that?

Anyway from the title I thought that was the name of the movie! I thought that's a wild title and have to see what this movie is about.

5. TheWZA

TheWZA Active Member

That hadn't occurred to me, but in hindsight it does sound like the title of some obscure giallo film. :D