The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017, Psychological Thriller/Horror)

Discussion in 'General' started by Workshed, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

From Yorgos Lanthimos, director of Dogtooth and The Lobster, starring Nicole Kidman and Colin Farrell:

The Killing of a Sacred Deer is in theaters October 27, 2017.

Very few plot details but appears to focus on revenge.

[​IMG]

Natas likes this.
  2. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

That trailer gave me legit shivers. This is without a doubt one of my most anticipated films of this year. Yorgos Lanthimos has been on a roll and I can't wait to see what he does with a straight up thriller.

3. The Joker

The Joker Well-Known Member

IMDB says: Steven, a charismatic surgeon, is forced to make an unthinkable sacrifice after his life starts to fall apart, when the behavior of a teenage boy he has taken under his wing turns sinister.

This looks beautifully shot, and every time I see A24, I get excited. Count me in.

4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Now on blu-ray.

Saw it in theaters over Thanksgiving and loved it. Terrific mix of disturbing horror and dark comedy. Definitely buying.

Workshed likes this.
  5. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Blind bought the blu ray and watched the other night

Fucking weeeeeird flick, man...... I really enjoyed the majority of it, but I have to watch at least one more time to appreciate and at the risk of sounding like a dumbass......completely understand to be perfectly honest.

Kubricks influence is oozing all over this, virtually every shot. The piano score at times was beautiful to say the least.

The tone of conversation from the characters, regardless of the topic, was errily similar......to a point where it was fucking with me.

Beautifully made, looking forward to revisiting soon.

CPT HOOK likes this.
  6. sinister

sinister Active Member

Quite liked this too but I think if you like this level of weirdness you may as well take it to the max. and watch Dogtooth instead.

With Dogtooth I spent the entire movie being split 50/50 on whether it was the most pretentious crap I'd ever seen or a work of total genius... when it was over I decided it was genius!

Sacred Deer has that same genius in places but for me didn't quite pull it off as a complete experience.

7. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

It felt like a movie written by aliens, then the actors were forced to adhere to every word and show no emotion whatsoever. But in a good way!

zbinks and Natas like this.
  8. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Yes! It became really creepy to me for some reason. The whole movie exisists in this really weird space.....it was almost hypnotic

9. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Caught this last night, oddly coincidental since in the movie we find that Martin's favorite movie is Groundhog Day. Didn't even plan it that way.

Lanthimos really does place his movies in seemingly other worlds. I've only seen this and Dogtooth, but both movies take place with people with VERY strange lifestyles, and unlike most movies with that motif, he sees no reason to explain it or backstory it. You just have to roll with it. I don't know if I'm a huge fan or not, but I do find his movies very captivating. Gonna have to check out Lobster real soon.

10. p.nibzz

p.nibzz New Member

Anyone here seen any other Lanthimos films? Any good? I really liked Dogtooth, but never even bothered to pay attention to who directed it until now. Seems like the atmosphere between that and Killing of a Sacred Deer are pretty similar. The characters are a little over-the-top awkward sometimes, but the ending really delivers. Not surprising, but shocking nonetheless.